• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

doubts

So do any of you ever doubt yourself as a writer? I've posted my story on several critique sites and have had anyone from amateur writers to published writers review my story and most of the time I get positive comments. But whenever someone says they like my story I always make up an excuse like oh they must be lying, or they don't know what they're talking about. I know my stories not perfect, its only my first draft. But sometimes I feel I'm too down on myself with my writing. Anyone else like this?

Sparkie

Auror
* raises hand sheepishly *

Doubt is something I always wrestle with. I wish I had a good method of winning these kinds of battles to offer you, but I don't. Most of the time I just tell myself that I don't suck as bad as I think I do. Maybe one day I'll believe it. :p

Aegrus

Scribe
I doubt myself all the time. I get mostly positive feedback- in some cases I've had people demand that I publish things.

For me, it's not that I think the people are lying. I just always think (no matter how much I try to convince myself otherwise) that I've gotten worse over time. I'll make up any excuse to think that I can't write as well now as I could have about two years ago. (When I was taking writing courses.)

So, even if I was good then, what I wrote then were short stories- and my goal is to publish a novel. Trying to write one now, I can't overcome my feelings of inferiority. And my self doubt feeds my fear and makes me too nervous to write to the best of my ability.

So yeah, I think that self doubt is a very common issue among writers. (Or any artists, for that matter. My brother paints, and he has much of the same problem.)

Spring-Gem

Dreamer
Even successful writers feel that way on occasion. A book that brought this home to me was Bird by Bird by Ann Lamott. She freely admits that she has almost daily bouts of self-doubt and gives some good suggestions about how to combat it. I think it all boils down to actively quieting the inner critic and just keep writing.

JazzTD

Dreamer
I believe this is pretty normal for anyone who creates anything and receives feedback. Whether it be graphical art or written words there are always going to be people who doubt in their worth as the creator of ... well, whatever they created.

From my stand point I think that this makes the person better or more competent at whatever it is they are doing.

If you thought you were the best already then how would you ever get better, feeling less makes us want more and that in my opinion makes us better. I believe we can always improve ourselves, however if we believed ourselves to be perfect then why would we even try to improve in the first place?

Which leads to my conclusion that this is a "look on the bright side" kind of deal. As in, if you think you're bad, then just get better. And that gains experience.

Then again that might just be me ... and I may just happen to probably be odd ... maybe.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm making sense. :confused:
/halts coffee intake

I doubt myself a lot. Not that I'm not a good writer I believe I am good and lots of people tell me I am, but I am a very indesicive person and find it very difficult to make decisions. I always overthink things and stress out too much when it comes to writting but I learn to cope with it and it help me get better.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences this. Jazztd, I especially like your take on the whole thing. If we think we are less then perfect that just means we want to better ourselves :)

Oh and those dreaded "bad" reviews...I don't know about you but when I get one its like "the end of the world" I'm like oh I knew I was a bad writer I'm just gonna give up on writing now. Then when I get a good review I'll be like oh I'll guess I'll keep writing. Ha

JazzTD

Dreamer
This may be a good or bad thing, but something that helps me keep writing is automatically assuming that all bad reviews are "trolls", so I don't take their comments to heart but I do ponder their advice.

Again, not sure if I'm making sense ...

Shpob

Dreamer
I doubt that I can add much to this conversation that hasn't already been said by the above writers of awesomeness.

So I'll just find a random quote from the internets:

Modest doubt is called the beacon of the wise.
-William Shakespeare

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I remember hearing an author's quote, read aloud by the author of a book called the Artful Edit at a book signing in NYC, which talked about writers being born with good taste, and that you use that good taste as a guide to develop your actual skill as a writer over time.

Doubts are fine; the thing is, they're probably right. I don't mean that the person is lying, or that your work is garbage. What I mean is, you're probably seeing something they aren't, and it's coming across as doubts. When that happens, I suggest you take it as a sign that you have that good taste that you need to continue developing your skills as a writer.

So you have doubts about the work; what are you going to do about it?

One of the books I read had a snippet at the front, it was one of those "about the book" type things that talked about the author and his response when he won one of the scifi book awards (sorry, it's been a few years so I don't remember which one). What struck me, that I did remember was the comment the author made at the award ceremony when someone asked him how he did it. The reply was something like "I don't know, but if you figure it out would you tell me so I can do it again?"

We all doubt, on occasion we finally do something we do think is good enough. When it happens, we eventually send it out to see if anyone else thinks the way we do. Usually fully expecting it to be rejected outright.

Still, keep writing, keep trying. If you give up, you won't get any better. Anyone can be a writer, it's those who stick with it long enough to become good at it that end up having people looking for their next novel.

Telcontar

Staff
I often doubt my writing - I'm not sure I doubt my ability as a writer. I think I'm a pretty good writer, and that stays more or less constant. My estimation of my various examples of writing changes wildly from piece to piece and day to day.

The difference being that I think I can get the writing correct eventually, because I do not doubt my abilities.

Lepton

Dreamer
Yes, I do. I think most people have a feeling of doubt when writing at times, I know I have. Sometimes I'll read a passage of a novel to a family member, and even if I get positive comments from them, I always feel as if it wasn't good enough, that I didn't add enough of something, like detail for example. Occasionally I'll feel as if I lack the skills to be a writer, but I've learned to push through it and continue on, and even attempt to ignore the feeling. If I do this, it passes rather quickly.

Erica

Minstrel
I've heard it said that only terrible writers never doubt themselves. Of course, doubting oneself doesn't mean that one is a great writer either, but it means that you have humility and a desire to learn and improve.

I can get two or three mostly good reviews and still agonize over one or two 'needs improvement' type comments...especially if they refer to something that I was pretty happy with or another reviewer liked.

And what worries me the most is seeing how high the hits to review ratio is. Are the people who read without commenting thinking "OMG this is so bad I don't know where to start...critiquing it would be like advising someone on how to turn a pig into a prom queen?"

So to answer your question--you aren't alone. But writing is like anything else, the more you do it, the better you get at it.

Last edited: