• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Final Fantasy

teacup

Auror
I like turn based myself, but I don't see them returning to that unless they make a FF for a handheld system like the Vita.
Sadly, I agree. I'd love to see one of the main series games as a throwback to the oldies.

As long as it "feels" like a Final Fantasy game and has good gameplay/story, I would be happy, though.

A youtuber made a video making fun of FFXIII's more linear gameplay, which I found hilarious:

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely would like to see a fantasy game. I don't mind sci-fi elements, but I prefer nothing too much past gaslight fantasy in terms of world-building...why do I prefer games like this? BECAUSE OF FINAL FANTASY.

I don't need turn-based, but I definitely would like choices in character ability development and it would be nice to have characters that I care about substantially.

Also, I'd like to see a positive portrayal of a church or religion :p ...not that I mind the whole, "church is corrupt" storyline, but I'd like some variety.

teacup

Auror
I would also like them to go back to dialogue boxes, but I highly doubt they will. I'm just being nostalgic here, really.

I'm OK with subtitles, but I wish that you got the little anime pictures of the characters when they spoke like you do in, say, Tactics.

Anyone else wonder why we had COMPLETE control of the colors and effects of the window in FFVII, but have never had this since?!?!

I remember having every corner of the window being a different color in VII and getting this awesome prismatic effect from the colors. Older games allowed us to change the color of the entire window (with varying levels of customization), and then from VII on, nothing.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, I remember being able to do the colors like that. I usually just left it the default blue though.

Shifting gears, has anyone ever heard of Final Fantasy Dimensions? It was apparently a mobile game that slipped under my radar anyway. It sounds like it has some old school flavor to it (jobs, crystals, etc.) so I'd love to see it available on more platforms somehow. Maybe Steam or something like that.

It's a retro game that many have been clamoring for. May be spoilers inside, not sure:

I'd like to note the game kind of looks like a really good RPG Maker project.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. FF6- Great Cast, Awesome music, Compelling Storyline, This game is the standard to which all new FF's should strive, Though my only complaint is the second half of the game could have had more substance. One of the easiest games in the series when it comes to leveling up. Celes, Mog, Terra, and Cyan were my favorite heroes of the story, Kefka made a great and interesting villain.

2. FF4- Wonderful Story, Great Music, One game that I could play over and over again. Edge was my favorite character because of his story arc. The Four Fiends were probably the best villains in the whole game. Scarmiglione, Kainazzo, Barbariccia, and Rubicante made for the best boss battles.

3. FF7- Music, Story, and Replay Value. Vincent and Cid were my favorite main characters, and The Shinra and Turks were the coolest villains along with Sephiroth and Jenova

4. FF9- I loved the music and the story. The Steiner and Beatrix pairing was in my opinion the highlight of the game. Freya was great too. Didn't care much for the villains of the game.

5. FF8. The story and the music were the best part of the game, along with the summons. For the main characters my picks are Quistis and Zell. For the Villains, Ultimecia and Seifer

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm playing FFIV: The Complete Collection right now on PSP. I already beat the original IV, but now I'm playing The After Years, which follows Cecil and Rosa's son Ceodore. So far I'm really liking it. For those who are looking for an old school FF game to play and you loved IV's world, I'd definitely recommend it.

Yeah, I remember being able to do the colors like that. I usually just left it the default blue though.

Shifting gears, has anyone ever heard of Final Fantasy Dimensions? It was apparently a mobile game that slipped under my radar anyway. It sounds like it has some old school flavor to it (jobs, crystals, etc.) so I'd love to see it available on more platforms somehow. Maybe Steam or something like that.

It's a retro game that many have been clamoring for. May be spoilers inside, not sure:

I'd like to note the game kind of looks like a really good RPG Maker project.
There's nothing wrong with RPG Maker games! :)

It looks like a great game, but I can't afford the $20 price tag. The episodic storyline is a drag though, and I don't particularly care for linear style as much. I like to power game.

Sparkie

Auror
Anyone else think FF VII is a bit too highly praised?

With the upcoming FF VII remake being featured by a lot of gamer media, I think it may be time to revive this thread. What are your thoughts on the remake, and are you excited to see the new version?

Haven't played anything beyond 9. Grew up with that series, starting with the NES when it was brand spankin' new. 7 is overrated and 8 is just absolute garbage. I can't say I hate many other games more than FFVIII.

FFII and FFIII (US titles) are my favorite.

Any FFXI fans out there? I had so many good memories playing that game back in the early 2000s. Played on the diabolos server, Apocolypse Linkshell.