• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mistborn initial impressions

danr62

Sage
I love me some Mistborn and Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors now. My other favorite author is Butcher.

So, movies and games? Awesome!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've only ever read Elantris by Sanderson. I liked that one. I'll have to give Mistborn a try.

Janga

Minstrel
I'm reading Mistborn now... its a really good read, although I find there is a bit too much dialogue in it. It seems like half the book the characters are just in a meeting planning something.

karriezai

Scribe
Just adding to the love train, but Sanderson is my favorite author by far. It's not only his writing I love, but his work ethic and his way of relating to fans. I've gone to two of his signings, and he's just fantastic. He signed my Writers of the Future Honorable Mention for me. It's framed and hanging on my wall! =D

Janga

Minstrel
I am almost finished with Mistborn now. It is really a great book, but I have one complaint about Sanderson.... he has his characters "snort" too much.

xerolee

Scribe
Just finished the second mistborn book. His writing is brilliant, not for a second could I predict what was going too happen.

I just finished the first book. I enjoyed it but I am surprised at the level of praise it gets in this thread. I found it slow to get going and without giving away spoilers, I was a little frustrated at part of the climax. The books has a very original feel to it although I found myself struggling to follow the allomancy early on. Maybe I was just trying too hard to analyse it. I am in two minds whether to read the next book. Is it better than the first book?

Klee Shay

Troubadour
Personally, I loved the Mistborn trilogy, especially the atypical ending, but I don't think other's opinions should dictate whether you read or enjoy a story/series. Plenty of people I've corresponded with don't like Jordan's "Wheel if Time' saga or Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' (see thread elsewhere). but I like both.

Anyway, Mistborn was quite original in it's magic system, I thought, and, while it did drag at times, it does have some good humor in its favor. Sanderson's 'The Stormlight Archive' series (The Way of Kings) is looking good, as well.

Kelise

Maester
Just finished the third book and I have nothing to say. Well, other than the wish to scream and sob and carry on like a child. Which wouldn't really be saying anything, I suppose.

Just finished the first book. Wow. Sanderson did an amazing job describing the battles, although there were still places where it was a bit hard to follow. The system is just so unique... I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said on the forum, but I wanted to drop in anyway.

My one problem with it is that the book is so complete I am almost struggling to find a reason to pick up the next book (other than the fact that it will be well written). It is hard to describe, but I guess it was wrapped up so nicely that I don't want to rip open the packaging. Sorry, that was a terrible metaphor. However, there is one mystery that I'm dying to figure out about that wasn't explained...

EDIT: Can't forget to add this: without trying to give any spoilers, one of my favorite features of the book were the quotes before each chapter and the way they were tied into the story.

Last edited:
I read the whole first trilogy, and I have to say that I was impressed. The Mistborn was a great series with a very unique style of "Magic" so to speak. I recommend it for anyone who hasn't read it.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
In my opinion I think the Mistborn series was a mixed bag. The good points: original magic system, the ending, and complexity of the Lord Father, the unanswered mysteries of the unnamed metals, the world, and the faiths. The bad points: the characters seemed to choose when they died, they were never really threatened, the heredity of the magic system, the stale story development until each ending of the books and Vin.

Just to elaborate about Vin. I don't like how she was painted as extremely vulnerable but was actually never so. Just because Sanderson wrote her mannerisms to show evidence of vulnerability she was never vulnerable. In fact, from the moment she discovered her powers she catapulted to the top of the pecking order so fast you were left unsure why Sanderson even talked about her origins.

You can see this in the story of Breeze as well. He suffers a great ordeal in defense of Luthadel (I think I spelled that right) but in the very next book its as if it never happened! Why even write it then? He never has flashbacks, never questions himself, never does anything to acknowledge that what happened to him was in fact a great trauma.

And the magic system, while original, had some holes in it. I know that this is a fantasy world and that anything can happen and can be justified, but I can't wrap my head around how Ruin is blind to metal but uses it for everything!. The good side uses it as a form of protection to keep Ruin's eyes away but he uses it to control people. And what's worse is that one group of people who is directly linked to Ruin is also the same group hiding what he most desperately wants. How come Ruin never knew?

The ending made the whole series worth it but, until then, I was slightly annoyed. I actually vented to the person who referred me to the trilogy.

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
If I can't last 170 pages into Elantris without nailing everything about it (down to the very little detail without having to read much of the core without caring about minor characters), then I fear I might not like the Mistborn trilogy. As an author, there are some great things to love about the worlds he creates. However, he has some terrible habits that seem to be a rather big deal breaker in his lack of faith (or remembering he told us things three or four times in three or four page spurts) for the reader's memory and imagination. I'm not sure if it carries over in the trilogy, but after reading some posts here, it sounds like it does.

Maybe if they are on sale or something. Or maybe I'll just give up the genre if this is one of the best it has to offer.