• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

To have dragons or to not have dragons?

cliche

Minstrel
Is having a dragon in your fantasy story a good idea or do you think that a story may be better without them?
I've had trouble thinking of how I could use a dragon in my plot without being cliche but to be honest it seems that they have been done in every inconceivable way. What do you think? Is it best to leave dragons out of a story or is it just the fact that I haven't got an original thought about dragons in my head.

If this is in the wrong section I am sorry.

zizban

Troubadour
I am biased because I love dragons but you don't have to have dragons in your story. You can have them as part as part of your world that your characters can comment on. "Oh there used to be a dragon up in the mountains but she left a few years ago and hasn't returned."

Cliche-

I too wrestled with the idea of using dragons or not, ultimately deciding that a number of different beasts or monsters, real-world or fantasy, could substitute for that "cliche", if you will.

Graham

Aegrus

Scribe
If dragons help the plot, include them. If they're just. . . there, they won't add much unless you plan on setting different stories more focused on them in the same world.

I personally would not include dragons unless you can think of a purpose and a way to make them more unique than all the other thousands of dragons used in fantasy literature.

A lot of readers have a lot of expectations about dragons, which makes them very hard to include in a way that won't hurt more than it helps. On the other hand if they are used well it can certainly add a lot to a story.

terence.soule
The Seventh Bridge

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Well, it's like anything else. Are they essential to the plot or not? If not, you can still by all means include them to add some variety to your world, but don't get too carried away unless they're actually involved in the plot. Zizban had a great example of how to include them without going overboard. I have used something to that nature in my WIP, but there was an incident that caused a drake to enter into the plot briefly. It's all about how you want to use them.

The usual answer I guess: depends on how you use them. In my book dragaons have been hunted to extinction hundreds of years ago, but you can find their huge skeletons here and there, and strips of dragon hide sell for gigantic prices.

Taytortots

Minstrel
Well, the first question that comes to mind is do you want a dragon in your novel? I ask this simply because the way you worded the question sounded like you almost felt as if you had to put a dragon due to peoples expectations. This may not be true, it's just what it sounded like to me. If you feel pressure and don't feel you need dragon, don't add them. It's your world your weaving, if you feel like it doesn't fit, than don't force it.
If you do want a dragon but can't think of an original way, well, there's always something new to be done. Making it unique can be anything from changing looks or regions or anything that seems to fit. If you like dragons a certain way but you think it's too cliche, i'd still put them.
What I'm trying to say is, do what feels right for your story and you.

Last edited:

karriezai

Scribe
Dragons are key in my plot, so I included them. If you need them, why not put them in there? It really depends on what you're looking for in your story. I'm of the opinion that if it waddles, quacks, has feathers, and spends a lot of time in the water, well, you should call it a duck and not try to reinvent the wheel. Dragons are an important part of fantasy history, and sometimes they belong in a story. If you feel that way, just use them! :]

cliche

Minstrel
Judging by what many people have said I think it would be best not to put dragons in my story as it does not really fit in with the plot(s) I have in mind. All of the ideas I have about dragons are pretty much cliche, so I think it would be best to only add thing s that I know I can make my own instead of using an idea that has long been over done.

cliche said:
Judging by what many people have said I think it would be best not to put dragons in my story as it does not really fit in with the plot(s) I have in mind. All of the ideas I have about dragons are pretty much cliche, so I think it would be best to only add thing s that I know I can make my own instead of using an idea that has long been over done.

For your story, that sounds right.

If it (in this case, dragons) doesn't fit in the story, don't include it. Readers can tell if something has been forced in, I may need to get rid of one of my big ideas spanning two stories because it just doesn't make sense or fit in the rest of my world.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

Lepton

Dreamer
Don't feel like you must add a dragon into your story. If you feel as if none of your ideas are original enough and you're unhappy with what you've come up with, try to think of something different to use that could take place of the dragon. This could also help you brainstorm some ideas, while being original.

Now, if your dragon isn't part of the story, and you're adding it just because, I say don't do this. You don't need to have a dragon in your story, even if it is fantasy.

L

Larion

If you're afraid that dragons are too cliched, then perhaps you could put your own personal twist on them. Make them different from what most people think when they hear the word 'dragon'. Change a few key characteristics or something, possibly rename the new creatures, and there ya go :) But of course it's all up to you.

Kaellpae

Inkling
I've put a twist onto my dragons. They were the first thing in my world I really got figured out and excited for. My story will definitely have them in a key role.

Ziggy

Scribe
Frankly there is nothing that hasn't been "done". Dragons are not going to make or break your story. But if you have no real reason to include them then don't. You can always introduce them at some later stage if you think of something.

L

Larion

I've put a twist onto my dragons. They were the first thing in my world I really got figured out and excited for. My story will definitely have them in a key role.

Good to hear you made a decision. I wish I could do the same in regards to my own writing :p I get caught up in the details and I usually end up with a few different versions of the same thing, but unable to decide which version I like best. Big flaw of mine, haha.

Kaellpae

Inkling
I have a problem with wanting to let everyone know about the little details in my world. Be it a creature that will only end up being shown a couple times, or something that is a huge part of my story.

I have too much to fit into a story going on and it's hard to decide what should make the cut. I know if it doesn't further the plot then it isn't important, but I know I like the little details that make the story world seem like a legit place.

Edit: this post started in my head with the intent of dragons, but it got a little mixed up in the typing phase.

V

Voldermort

Is having a dragon in your fantasy story a good idea or do you think that a story may be better without them?
I've had trouble thinking of how I could use a dragon in my plot without being cliche but to be honest it seems that they have been done in every inconceivable way. What do you think? Is it best to leave dragons out of a story or is it just the fact that I haven't got an original thought about dragons in my head.

If this is in the wrong section I am sorry.

The dragon is a metaphor. You can have a literal dragon but if you don't want one, replace it with something fearsome which must be overcome. See what I mean.

Voldermort said:
The dragon is a metaphor. You can have a literal dragon but if you don't want one, replace it with something fearsome which must be overcome. See what I mean.

Fantasy is full of metaphor and allegory. The dragon can be a metaphor, but it can also be a big scaly monster that uses a knight's sword as a toothpick.

V

Voldermort

Fantasy is full of metaphor and allegory. The dragon can be a metaphor, but it can also be a big scaly monster that uses a knight's sword as a toothpick.

You'll see from the words in my post, that the dragon can be literal or a metaphor.