• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Creating a fantasy language

Haraldr

Hello, how do you create fantasy languages like words like "Lordaeron", "Dalaran", "Quel'thalas", "Kirin Tor", "Terenas", "Menethil", "Antonidas", "Archimonde", "Mannoroth", "Tichondrius", and "Varian" etc? Is there any real language that I can use as a model for developing fantasy languages? Thanks.

Do you mean fantasy sounding words used for people, places, and things or like legit Tolkien languages? Because for the former, I smash sounds together until something "sounds" right. I don't even try for the latter. I don't have the expertise nor the desire to pick that up.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I'm not a ConLang-er but I do make up some words and names for my work...
I usually start with the feel for the languages I want to make up.
Do I want a language to feel threatening or welcoming?
Lyrical and flowing or harsh and staccato?
Can I think of a "real" language that sounds sort of right?
If so I'll try to find something written or spoken in that language to see how it flows. This has led me to watch some very strange films.
I look at name list of languages to see if anything pops in to my head.
And finally like BSA I mash things up until the sound right to me.
Behind The Name - I think this is a great site to come up with "real" name alternatives to the usual names we might use.

Ryan_Crown

Troubadour
I am a huge fan of Google translate for this. I will take an English word that is what I more or less want my fantasy word to mean, then I'll go through all the languages Google has one at a time (being seriously OCD does help with this endeavor, I will admit, as it is not a super quick process), looking for translations that just have the right sound/look for my fantasy language. Once I have a few possibilities, I'll modify them, combine them, etc. until I come up with a word I like.

And if I find a language I like, I'll go back to it when I need further words. In my current WIP, for example, the goblyn language is based on Gaelic (mostly Scottish).

ascanius

Inkling
Hello, how do you create fantasy languages like words like "Lordaeron", "Dalaran", "Quel'thalas", "Kirin Tor", "Terenas", "Menethil", "Antonidas", "Archimonde", "Mannoroth", "Tichondrius", and "Varian" etc? Is there any real language that I can use as a model for developing fantasy languages? Thanks.

You can use any language as a model. Keep in mind that simply substituting made up words is more of a cipher. Look at the language construction kit on Google, it will help lot. It's a lot of work though.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership

I also notice that these are all derived from Warcraft. If you like how these sound there are tons of name generators online entirely devoted to World of Warcraft naming conventions.

There are also fantasy name generators out there (there are a couple of threads here on the forums that talk more about them and provide links). I like to use those and then tinker with the names they give me until I like the sound of them.

Erudite

Scribe
Choose a language and model around that. I'm pretty sure Tolkien's language is loosely based around the Icelandic language.

I use a lot of Danish in my works, but I'm working with Dwarves so it kind of just... sounds right.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Choose a language and model around that. I'm pretty sure Tolkien's language is loosely based around the Icelandic language.

I use a lot of Danish in my works, but I'm working with Dwarves so it kind of just... sounds right.

Sindarin is based on Welsh; Quenya is based on Finnish, Dwarvish is (I think) based on Hebrew, and the Black Speech is (loosely) based on Gaelic.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
If I had the patience to create full languages I would, but I sadly do not. Most of my languages are loosely based on 1 or 2 languages, often taking some grammar rules from one and some from the other. These languages are usually very different from each other, like japanese and russian, just to make sure that the language is unique in its own right. Afterwards I make a mental list of vowels and consonants that are often used by these people. So then I base their names and words around the mother language(s) and their prefered letters.

WooHooMan

Auror
All my conlangs are English but slanted. Like fictional dialects, Creole, phonetic accents and pidgin English. So the savvy readers can figure out the language while the less savvy readers can just accept that it's not-English.

Generally, for names, I just use various words from related languages. My current setting has Chinese, Thai and Mongolian words mixed together.

Graham M

Acolyte
As others have mentioned, a sort of mash-up of different appealing sounds can work if you're only looking for a word or two, or some names. If you're interested in creating an entire language -- which I prefer to do, personally -- I would recommend The Language Construction Kit by Mark Rosenfelder, readily available on Amazon.