• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What's the first paragraph?

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Go back to the beginning of the book you are engaged in right now and post the first few lines.

It's fun to look at first lines and see why they work :)

Currently I'm reading:

Return to Exile (The Hunter Chronicles Book 1) by E.J. Patten

Phineas T. Pimiscule was not what you'd call an "attractive" man. He wasn't "desirable" or "appealing". He didn't like "things" or do "stuff" or "wash" himself. He was not the kind of guy to "put" "quotation" "marks" around "words" or to say things in an unassuming or assuming way.

He was the kind of guy who wore a monocle.

The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan

Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood.
If you're reading this because you think you might be one, my advice is: close this book right now. Believe whatever lie your mom or dad told you about your birth, and try to lead a normal life.

What are the first few lines of the books you are reading now?

Brithel

Dreamer
Northern Lights (or the Golden Compass for you yanks) by Phillip Pullman

Lyra and her dæmon moved through the ddarkening Hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of site of the kitchen. The three great tables that ran the length of the Hall had been laid already, the silver and the glass catching what little light there was, and the long benches were pulled out for guests. Portraits of former Masters hung high up in the gloom along the walls.

The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

Pippin looked out from the shelter of Gandalfs cloak. He wondered if he was awake or still sleeping, still in the swift-moving dream in which he had been wrapped for so long since the great ride began.The dark world was rushing by and the wind sung loudly in his ears.