• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Your favorite fantasy novel of all time?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yeah. I don't know if it would stack up on its own, but I couldn't put it down after reading the first two.

I don't know. I think the reader would be a bit lost, but it is a great book. Personally, Best Served Cold is my favorite by Abercrombie.

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
It changes too often while I age and fall apart.

In my early years, it was the Dragonlance Chronicles
In my late teens/early 20's, it was ASoFaI
In my late 20's, it was anything with Marco's name on it.

Now, I don't read them any longer. Every time I do, my mind always processes it in two layers: one for "enjoyment" and one for "analysis". Guess which one wins out?

I've been sticking to non-fiction and reference books at this point. No writer in this modern era has tickled my fancy to garner a favorite book in my 30's.

Ronald T.

Troubadour
This question is difficult to answer because there are so many variables involved in coming to an accurate conclusion.

"Why?"...you might ask. And I would respond..."Funny you should ask."

The reason I hesitate to give a quick and definite answer is that I've had many "favourite" novels over the years. It all depended on my state of mind at the time I read them, how skilled a reader I was, how widely-read I was, and how expansive my vocabulary was at that point in my life.

But what makes the question most difficult to answer for me is, what might my answer be if I re-read those novels today? As we grow and expand as readers and writers, our tolerances become more focused, more refined.

Because of that, I would think that one's point of view on this issue could vary dramatically based on the parameters established.

But what do I know? I'm just a hermit in the woods. :)

Last edited:
I was going to say A song of ice and fire, or 'my sword hand is singing' but really 'City of stairs' is the book I wish I wrote. So its definitely my favorite.

Adalind

Dreamer
My favourite fantasy novel ever is probably "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch. When I first read it earlier this year I was literally speechless. It was that good!

It's the one novel I wish I could have written. Its two (so far) sequels are good as well, but not as outstanding as Lies.

I also love "Elric of Melnibone" by Michael Moorcock and Karl Edward Wagner's Kane stories. And of course "A Song of Ice and Fire".

In fact "A Song of Ice and Fire" was what got me back into fantasy a couple of years ago after I had already given up on the genre.

troynos

Minstrel
Faerie Tale by Raymond Feist
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams
The Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore
Riyria Revelations by Michael Sullivan

Yeah, couple series in there, but I count a series as a whole book.

S R Hollands

Hi all - new here so this is my first post. I have to say that my favourite fantasy novel of all time has to be 'The Mists of Avalon' by Marion Zimmer Bradley. The way it retells the Arthurian legend is second to none. I've read this book several times and will read it again....

Russ

Istar
Hi all - new here so this is my first post. I have to say that my favourite fantasy novel of all time has to be 'The Mists of Avalon' by Marion Zimmer Bradley. The way it retells the Arthurian legend is second to none. I've read this book several times and will read it again....

I was in a book store just yesterday and saw it there again, decades after I first read it. I think I might choose it as my fav as well, even if it isn't by my favourite author.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team

I have to "third" this post. I loved it as well. Nothing has stuck with me quite like that book has, and no 'religion' has ever felt as real to me as Bradley's Mother Goddess pagan religion.

I find, for myself, I struggle to enjoy fantasy as an adult. I loved it as a youth, my favorites being A Wrinkle In Time, The Giver, Narnia, The Last Unicorn, The Hobbit and almost all Disney movies as a kid (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast all are fantasy, really)...

But as an adult I struggle to find something that moves me the same way. I find it is all so violent, so sexual, so dark... It is not what I remember of my childhood fantasy favorites.

Last edited:
Words of Radiance by Sanderson takes the top spot for me right now but that is subject to change at any given moment.

Helio, try reading some of Brandon Sanderson. His works are pretty light and accessible for many readers of various ages. Start with Way of Kings, Elantris, or The Final Empire, or Warbreaker. But if you like Way of Kings you should read Warbreaker before WOKs sequel Words of Radiance.

C

Chessie

I second for Helio reading Sanderson. His books are really good. Haven't been disappointed yet.