• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How in-depth is your worldbuilding?

Right! I do that all the time with research. I get all these really complex books trying to add elements to my stories, but then just end up getting bewildered as I'm not entirely certain how to fit quantum astrophysics or fractal biochemics into my magic system!

My problems with the book are it does not have examples in the chapters and does not have correct answers in the back. No odd numbers... nothing! And even though it says advanced, the material does not require a physics or mathematics degree as it is an undergraduate textbook, a textbook with scant explanations... irritating. There is a lot of information about planets, however.

As for mixing magic and science, I do not bother because the line between science fiction and fantasy will be blurred quickly. I, at most, keep in mind scientific concepts. For example, I have magic material that could be shaped into something akin to our circuitry.

At the very least I consider the basic ''warmer around the center, colder the closer the poles. I've figured out that I'm going to need quite big distances between the different types off regions. On the scientific aspect at least. But I only try to have this big world as a free idea basket.