• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Impersonal POV?

JazzTD

Dreamer
At times whether it be in books or short stories I just lack feeling a connection with the main character(or any character in that book for that matter), I would perhaps say that it is because of third person points of view, however it has happened to me while reading first person points of view as well.

And I'm curious, why?

As a writer I want my character to be felt and loved by the reader, so I wish to avoid any of these unemotional pitfalls. And the best way to avoid them is to know what they are and why and just ... not.

Like most things I'm not entirely sure if it's just me feeling that some writings are rather ... dry, or if they actually are.

-JT

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
entirely sure if it's just me feeling that some writings are rather ... dry, or if they actually are.

They might just be written for a different kind of person. There's real people in the world whom we just wouldn't connect with; my list is different from yours. That's life.

Of course, it could just be bad writing. One suggestion I will make, universally, is to never, ever talk about how great your truly great characters are supposed to be, not in dialogue and certainly not in narration.

Spring-Gem

Dreamer
What's dry to you may not by so to other readers, but writing style can cause characters to seem unemotional to readers. Years ago, I beta read a novel that had what I call a camera view. The action was described as though a camera were recording it. The fight scenes were highly detailed, but I didn't care who won. I couldn't connect with the characters because the writer showed only external character reactions and very little if any internal emotions/conflicts.

The next time you find yourself not connecting with the characters of a story, try analyzing it. Type a chapter into manuscript format and dissect it. What is the POV? Who are the characters, what are they doing, and how do they make you feel? Look at the way the writer constructs his sentences and the words he uses. Can you think of a reason why the writer chose this style? What would you change so you could care more for the characters? How can this help you in your own writing?

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
it could just be that you are reading the wrong story at the wrong time. When we really connect and care for the characters it can be because the story is holding some deep meaning for us, but we can't always be reading what we want to read if you see my point. I guess its all about the current frame of mind we are in when we want to read, as well as what we subconciously want from a book, so sometimes the story doesn't deliver that.

There are different types of stories. From what you have said I would assume you like character stories. Character stories base themselves on the characters, and the reader is supposed to care about those characters (my favorite type). Then there are world based stories, LOTR is one, and Ringworld is another one, and I could probably list a half dozen with a bit of thought. Some do decent character development, but the characters are a part of the story, not the story. There are a few other types, but there are a few things that I think you might be looking for to help you with your writing.

How do we make a reader care for the character? Showing the emotion, is a start.

Telling:
John was sad his girlfriend had left him.

or

Showing:
John sat with his chin propped on his arm staring at nothing. Inside he felt as empty, a part of himself had left, and he was powerless to get her back.

To get the reader to have a connection with the character requires some insight into what the characters is feeling, in a way that we can relate too. Saying he is sad doesn't include the reader in those feelings, showing it lets us share them. It's also why so many people will say "show don't tell" so often. Showing lets the reader be a part of what is happening, telling only informs the reader what has happened. Telling is not evil, it's good for skipping boring parts that need to be mentioned, but no one really wants to experience.

Erica

Minstrel
Head hopping within a scene can produce a disconnect in a 3rd person pov. So can a character you just don't relate to, for whatever reason.

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
I believe there is a desire to have that distance from the characters as a writer as well. Much like children, we can't bring ourselves to kill them, even the ones we've hated. The cold distance between them is what justifies the action. That is just my observation from conversations with other writers.

As far as the connections go, it is possible that your desires and what you were reading didn't click. That doesn't mean there isn't a moment where those things can work. I've seen some authors go through and make the swap easily between the protags emotional state and back to a world focus before returning again. It can be burdensome. Sometimes it is easy to get lost in that moment. I can understand. I've read some character driven stories that made me want to slam my head against the wall.

However, this is what makes you a stronger writer in the long run. Seeing what is out there, understanding the act and using it to propel you forward into doing it (or staying away from it) is what makes for better writing.

Erica

Minstrel
I get very attached to my characters....especially the main pov ones, but also some of the supporting cast as well. So I can't imagine writing in a distant style. I have no plans to kill one of my main characters in this novel or the sequel (though I am pretty darned cruel to them in other ways). I think one of my support characters is going to have to die in book 2. I dislike stories where characters are killed off arbitrarily, but if it's done well and is necessary to the tale, the fact that I've bonded as a reader makes it more meaningful. I think I'd feel the same as a writer when/if the time comes to kill a protagonist in a story. Being distant would make the sacrifice meaningless. Kind of like refusing to love your dog (or parent or spouse for that matter) because you'll probably lose him/her someday.

What makes me sad is when I read a series where it becomes clear that the writer has come to dislike a character or world but is being pressured to continue to write in it because it is demanded of them by their publisher/fans etc. When a character is killed off in that situation, it comes across a bit like a tantrum. Like the author is saying 'screw you, this is really the last book.'

karriezai

Scribe
Every situation is different, and a lot of it can be what other members have said -- not everyone connects with every character.

I usually find that I can connect with an extremely diverse cast of personality types if they are written well, though. Something I ran into recently that can alienate me from a character even in first person is emotional distance. When we get a character who seems to be... summarizing what's happening rather than actively participating in it and feeling the emotions it evokes. There are choices authors make that create emotional distance between narrators and readers.

For instance, look at the difference here:

For months I'd thrown myself into my work, anything to avoid the memory of losing Ben. I pushed away family and friends instead of turning to them for comfort. But as the six-month anniversary of his disappearance approached, I decided I needed to move on. I left work early for once, standing at the door to shoot my friend Mary a text before heading out into the rain. I needed some girl time.

Or this:

I tapped the stack of invoices into perfect order. Lined up all the edges, made sure no piece was out of place--fumbled for a paperclip and then had to start over when half the papers dropped and slipped across the desk.

Finally the paperclip was securely in place and the papers were tucked into my outbox. My head felt heavier. I let it hang until I had no more energy to sit up straight, and then I pressed my forehead to the desk.

A breath hitched in my chest, dangerously close to a sob. The thought that nagged at the edges of my thoughts all day had nothing to hold it back anymore. No pencil or paper pushing. It crept its way through my mind until there was nothing else left.

It was the six-month anniversary of Ben's death, and I was all alone. I hadn't talked to Mary in weeks. Heat built up between my eyes, filling my sinuses until tears tickled down my cheeks. I brushed them away with the heel of my hand, took a deep breath, and pushed away from my desk.

I flipped my phone open to my list of texts. Mary's number was still at the top, but it had been nearly three weeks since her last text to check in on me. I'd ignored it, like all the others. But maybe it was time to talk to her.

I could really use a girl's night.

This is probably just personal preference, but the second one is less distant to me. I mean, I know there's a lot more to it. But even if it was shorter, I'd find the character easier to relate to.