• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is it wrong for me to be a Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'll say, if reading is such a chore for you, you could probably get away with reading smartly and selectively. How much you write, how much "good taste" you have, and how effectively you self-edit (improvement per time spent) will be more important to being successful than how much you read.

But yes, you really do need to read. That's not really a question.

Xanados

Maester
The more I think about, the more simple it becomes: if reading is a chore for you, don't become a writer. That's pure logic. How can anyone not read, but want to be a writer?

Sparkie

Auror
I don't think it's ever wrong to write, but if you want to be a good writer then reading isn't just a luxury. It's a requirement. Reading can only help your written communication skills.

Don't be intimidated by people who tell you that you must read a hundred books per year if you want to be a writer. Just read all you can, and you'll be fine.

Erica

Minstrel
Nothing is 'wrong' when it comes to writing, but I am wondering who someone who dislikes reading fiction (I assume that's why you've never read a full length work of fiction with chapters) would want to write works of fiction. If reading an entire book seems redundant to you after you've skimmed it, then writing one would certainly seem tedious.

Some areas of human endeavor seem to produce prodigies of sorts. These are people who have some kind of innate talent that allow them to intuitively grasp rules and techniques that most intelligent people struggle to master (but even naturals hit a ceiling where improvement doesn't come without hard work and coaching). Music and mathematics seem to get prodigies sometimes. I have never heard of true literary prodigies though (as in the literary equivalent of Mozart who was composing concertos at the age of 5). Maybe it's because language has such complex rules and subjective nuances that it takes years of practice for even a gifted person to master it.

So I don't think there are shortcuts to becoming a writer.

Most 'experts' on writing feel you need to have done a lot of reading in order to have a feel for the different ways you can use language to create works of fiction. In addition to works of fiction, most writers are intellectually curious people who are interested in and well read in a wide variety of non fictional topics (which can inform their stories). Reading (and writing) are like exercising muscles. The more you do it, the more easily they come to you.

If you prefer movies and TV as storytelling media, then perhaps you should try writing for those media instead. Of course, you should probably read books about how to write screenplays and so forth, since what you see acted out on screen is derived from written material.

The odds are against ANYONE becoming a famous writer. There are too many random factors that play into whether someone will even get published, let alone attract a following. Most people who start writing do so because they have characters and worlds and stories inside them that are screaming to get out and they are willing to spend hours each day doing so even if they can't even get their mother to read their stories.

Last edited:

srebak

Troubadour
1. I'll be frank, i'm not sure why i write. Sure, part of me is probably doing it for the kind of fame J.K. Rowling, HCA, Mary Shelley and Roald Dahl all have. But at the same time, i think this is just what i want to do with my life

2. Maybe it's just my ego or just my need to get this out of the way, but i still think that my book writing skills are rather good for someone who hasn't read a full chapter book from beginning to end

3. The real reason i made this thread was because i saw the new J.R.R. Tolkien video on Brainpop and watching it got me thinking of this topic

4. As i said, it's not that i don't read, i just haven't read a full chapter book from beginning to end, consecutively.

srebak said:
2. Maybe it's just my ego or just my need to get this out of the way, but i still think that my book writing skills are rather good for someone who hasn't read a full chapter book from beginning to end

I look forward to seeing your stuff. Sorry about earlier comments, I hope the following edit is better at getting across what I meant.

There's this concept from psychology, the Dunning - Kruger effect (
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect), that I really like, unfortunately it's really common among self published authors, we just don't know what to call it. I know I suffered from it when I first started.

What this means is that people often over estimate their own ability when doing something they don't know much about, as they haven't developed the skills yet to evaluate their own performance. It's an easy trap to fall in to. But it doesn't take long to get past when writing. Just write more, get feedback, and be willing to take constructive criticism. We have a showcase section that is good for getting feedback or just putting stuff up for others to read.

The flip side of the Dunning - Kruger effect is the ones that do know their stuff also feel that they are less competent than they really are, and are too critical of themselves, losing confidence in themselves.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

Last edited:

Xanados

Maester
1. I'll be frank, i'm not sure why i write. Sure, part of me is probably doing it for the kind of fame J.K. Rowling, HCA, Mary Shelley and Roald Dahl all have. But at the same time, i think this is just what i want to do with my life

3. The real reason i made this thread was because i saw the new J.R.R. Tolkien video on Brainpop and watching it got me thinking of this topic

4. As i said, it's not that i don't read, i just haven't read a full chapter book from beginning to end, consecutively.

So you're telling us that you've never read a book in your life, you think you can write with some skill AND that all you're doing it for is FAME?

...Nice one, man. Good luck with that.

Edit: Please, for the love of the Gods, capitilize the personal pronoun 'I'.

Last edited:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
It's perfectly fine to have never read a book and still want to be a writer, especially if you're young. Maybe reading books isn't your thing, but I would suggest reading as much as you can if you want to be a writer. Writing short stories or articles would be more applicable if you've never read a whole book before. What kind of material do you want to write? What are your goals?

It's good to have confidence in your writing, but it is really recommended that you find material you want to write and read similar subject material. The two best ways to improve your writing are to read and write. That's about it. Good luck!

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
The Guiding Principle

Everyone,

Please remember the following item from our site guidelines:

4. The Guiding Principle

The guiding principle is to treat others with respect and dignity, and to foster a positive, welcoming and family-friendly community.

Also, please be aware that snide or derisive comments are a direct violation of this principle.

Thank you.

srebak

Troubadour
So you're telling us that you've never read a book in your life, you think you can write with some skill AND that all you're doing it for is FAME?

...Nice one, man. Good luck with that.

Edit: Please, for the love of the Gods, capitilize the personal pronoun 'I'.

I'm not saying I don't read, I have read stories before and I do recall reading parts of Chapter Books (even if I only remember them vaguely) I'm saying I've never read a Chapter book from beginning to end, consecutively. I do read, just night not nonstop

Lepton

Dreamer
It's not "wrong" for you to be a writer because you haven't read a book. Reading isn't a requirement, heck, there aren't requirements to being an author. Reading is helpful, though. You begin to understand what people are interested in, what you enjoy writing, and ways to improve the way your write.

srebak

Troubadour
You know, maybe i did start this thread because i wanted reassurance for my problem. But, if only to end all of this arguing, I'm going to be writer, with or without reading. Maybe i'm being obstinate, if fact, that's probably exactly what i'm being. But someway, somehow, i'm going to reach the goal that got Rowling, Tolkien and Jacques the reputations they have today, somehow, my books will be on the shelf, it's my calling.

Jess A

Archmage
You know, maybe i did start this thread because i wanted reassurance for my problem. But, if only to end all of this arguing, I'm going to be writer, with or without reading. Maybe i'm being obstinate, if fact, that's probably exactly what i'm being. But someway, somehow, i'm going to reach the goal that got Rowling, Tolkien and Jacques the reputations they have today, somehow, my books will be on the shelf, it's my calling.

Then don't sit here telling us about it - go and do it!

Then don't sit here telling us about it - go and do it!

Yeps, but anytime someone goes into something they don't know about with the intention of gaining fame... well... let's just leave it at good luck.

Dear OP you have chosen the hardest of all paths, most writers toil away in near obscurity, never wishing for anything more than to see their work in print, somewhere... anywhere for that matter.

You cite JKR as an example of what you want for yourself.

She is pretty amazing IMHO, but you do know that she was a very well educated person who taught for a living, ended up living on welfare for quite some time while she worked on her masterpiece. After all that she was rejected countless time before someone took the risk.

Publishers and agents are the gatekeeps in this game, and they are really tight about whom they allow into their circle.

Does that mean that it can't be done? No, but I can tell you from experiance that it is going to be a whole lot harder.

You told us your age, which leaves me scratching my head endlessly. Because when I was in school reading was not optional, we read books, plays and other items daily. My English Lit class required no less than 8 classic novels be read and reviewed, discussed and a writen book report turned in for each. We also had a notebook in which we were required to find a news story (daily) that we found interesting and highlight why we thought so, as well as write "follow ups." And that was just Jr. High...

How did you miss even one full book? If you utter "Clifsnotes" I will drown myself here and now.

Life is not a shortcut, there are no second chances, you only get one go, might as well find about about everything you are able now.

Watching the idiot box is great for filmmakers, not so great for Novelisit, playwrites, and screen writers. You miss how to structure a story, how to build amazing words, and oh so many other things.

With that I wish you well, I hope that you will take what others have said to heart.
No one wants to see you fail, but with the path you have chosen success is going to be hard won.

Last edited:

Xanados

Maester
Even the best of us will never become as famous and well known as those authors you mentioned. I'm being serious. If you aspire to be Tolkien... you best start by reading. That is my final stance.

@TBL: You have the right idea, but I got a warning for making a comment that made the exact same statement. I guess it was rather snide, though.

Last edited:
Sasha,

Your last posted reminded me of this...

If Average people think they are not, and brilliant people think they are not.

That leaves us wondering if the ares are not, and the are nots are. Are we in fact what we think we are?

fleamailman

Closed Account
"...ah but it's so simple now..." went the goblin seeing that srebek had posted that text here too, explaining "...well, if you actually want to became a writer, then you will fail because you already are one, a writer that is, and you were a writer the moment you opened that slot in order to post something to it...", and how that point often seemed overlooked by so many members on these writer's forums where the goblin just continued by saying "...in fact, each post you do is writing, where I have met so many of you humans by now that I can tell all I really need to know about someone's works just by first looking at their posts...", it was as if one's posts beckoned the reader to one's works or away from them, where each post had to meet a benchmark of self perhaps, repeating "...for the muse comes to one, and one writes out her vision as best one can too, and that's all then, for one never becomes a writer now, no one just writes, forgetting the rest entirely, as it is ever just something between you and your muse here, the rest of us are just onlookers aren't we..."

spirit.jpg

Last edited:

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
*shrugs* My last comment on this is that there are many people out there these days who think they can do this. It isn't our job to point out if they need to read or what they need to do based off our reading experience alone. It is our place to read what they write, show where they can improve and if they have promise, steer them toward the real routes they need to go.

If you think this is the "strange case" that a non-reader wants to write a book, check back in two years. The way things are going, with all the scluff out there that counts as an ebook, there will be many a soul who will release some pretty bad things. If we have any conscious as a writer, we will do our part to shepherd those who desire to learn and teach them what we know, if we can.

Pointing at a book and saying "READ" is not action. Some people don't learn by reading, they learn by doing. It is our jobs to accept this and adjust to the new generation that wants to "DO".

Erica

Minstrel
I would say that if you want to write then do it. I'd strongly suggest trying to read as much as you can, but you'll have to decide for yourself if that works for you.

What concerns me about your post is that you have a very lofty goal without a clear sense of the process you need to go through to achieve it.

Now there is nothing wrong with goals, but in general, people who set goals for themselves that are related to actions they have control over rather than outcomes they don't, will be happier.

You are pretty young, and there's nothing wrong with having dreams and hopes. I don't think there are very many writers who don't dream of being published and having a book receive awards, fame and acclaim (and bring in money). But if you hang everything on the outcome of the things you do in life, rather than the process of doing them, I am worried that you will have a lot of disappointment and unhappiness.

Goal 1: To become a famous writer. You have little to no control over that because you could write good stuff and not find an agent or a publisher or readers. You can't control what other people do or how they perceive your work, and the assessment of brilliance is always somewhat subjective when it comes to art.

Goal 2: To write the first draft of a novel (or a short story even ) about this wonderful character/situation that's been knocking about in your head and start soliciting feedback from other writers on how to polish it up for submission somewhere.

I'd really suggest that you have goals that are more like #2. Not because they are easier to reach, per say, but because they allow you to enjoy the journey you are taking as you reach them. With goal 1, you can write this wonderful novel and not enjoy the process a jot because you're so focused on the outcome (fame) that you won't allow yourself to be happy until you achieve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.