• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Another aspiring writer hoping to surround myself with like-minded folk

AJ Stevens

Minstrel
Good afternoon, fair folk of the forum.

A long time reader of fantasy, I finally decided to have a proper attempt at it myself, after a dipping my toe in the water a couple of times previously. Thus, I have spent the last twelve months or so doing lots of researching and world building, and now comes the time to start getting things down on paper.

I look forward to learning from some of you, and with time, hopefully I'll be able to make a meaningful contribution in return. Now all I need to do is to avoid this place taking over my life. Easy, right?

Russ

Istar
Good afternoon, fair folk of the forum.

A long time reader of fantasy, I finally decided to have a proper attempt at it myself, after a dipping my toe in the water a couple of times previously. Thus, I have spent the last twelve months or so doing lots of researching and world building, and now comes the time to start getting things down on paper.

I look forward to learning from some of you, and with time, hopefully I'll be able to make a meaningful contribution in return. Now all I need to do is to avoid this place taking over my life. Easy, right?

Nice to have you join us AJ.

Nothing about writing is easy, but it sure can be fun and rewarding on many levels.

I hope you find lots of useful material here and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the crazy stuff we end up discussing.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome to the scribes! This sure is a fun place to wile away countless afternoons, like I have. We have a little for everyone. If you need some answers, try Research threads or ask a question of your own. If you're interested in pushing yourself to craft short stories, try competing with us in the Challenges. Or if you just like to procrastinate, click on someone's name and strike up a conversation! This place is just loaded with friendly folks who love to share the journey. Hope you find it as wonderfully distracting as I have!!!

Ray M.

Scribe
Hey

I'm curious as to what kind of world you've built after 12 months or so. Sounds like you've put a lot of work and thought into it

Welcome, AJ!

Yes, I'm equally intrigued to find out about your world in the World Building forum. I've spent about 3 months on mine, so I would love to hear some of the detail you've created. It might motivate me to do more!

This is a great place to come when you feel like procrastinating, so good luck:)

Cheers!

AJ Stevens

Minstrel
World building... Well, I should first point out that when I say I've spent twelve months doing this, I mean elapsed time, which doesn't have that much of a bearing on the intensity of the effort I've put in.

That said, I've put together a reasonable amount. I've been sketching plenty of maps of continents, countries and cities. However, it's not simply about geography for me. I want my locales to feel real, so I've spent time attaching a history to some of the most important places, working out the characteristics of its inhabitants, its government type, and so on.

Of course, that's the fun part. Tying it all together while creating something that other people want to read is harder than I imagined.

Happy to fire up a conversation elsewhere if anyone wants to go into more detail on things. I'm not sure I've done anything groundbreaking, but I'm happy to share nonetheless.

TWErvin2

Auror
Glad you joined us, AJ.

Press on with your novel and looking forward to crossing paths with you here on the forum.

Terry

It's always nice to meet a fellow novelist, especially someone who loves Fantasy like me. I wrote a novel, Lycanthropy: Blood-Ties which is for sale on Amazon Kindle for only 99 cents. The point is; is that my first ever novel was a Fantasy/Sci-Fi. I branched out to Action/Romance with my second novel, A Wrestler's Dream. My third is a Psychological/Thriller which is the book I tried focusing towards Genre Fiction. My advice is to always stay vigilant; stay confident and do NOT let anyone who dares challenge your dreams, get in your way. Welcome to the forum; I'm new here myself as I'm trying to get my work out there. How are you?