• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

thoughts on my elves?

Alex

Troubadour
In an attempt to be less cliche, I tried to design a new kind of elf (somewhat new, at least). Instead of being human height, I made the average around 6.5 to 7 feet tall. Also, I gave them two hearts and slightly longer canine teeth (a bit like fangs) With strong livers and kidneys, they can drink any human under the table twice over. They are also civilized, but powerful fighters who don't rely on magic like in other stories. Elven women are strong and powerful such as the Elven men. My elves usually live around 100.years, a bit longer than a human. What do you all think? Cliche? Too weird?

Ziggy

Scribe
So they're basically tall humans with pointy ears who can hold their drink?

I reckon you should think less in terms of biology, and more in terms of culture.

Well, it's definitely different.:p I like the idea of elves being the heavyweight drinkers instead of the dwarves...mixes things up a little. Like they are so impervious to poison alcohol barely has any effect on them at all (though this would be bad to me...I like being a lightweight because it's cheaper and easier for me to get drunk, he he). I like the idea of having 2 hearts...you could come up with some really cool story devices based around that. Teeth may be a little silly, but that's just my own subjective preference. I could see the teeth working better if they were a subspecies of elf in your world.

Just my opinion...others may have different ideas.

Alex

Troubadour
I'll admit, as with any rough ideas, it needs changes. However, that is the basic concept, I'm sure the physical appearance will differentiate more as the story goes on. Yes, the teeth were also necessary as I was going to use small features like that (not things like skin color) to show subtle appearance differences within the sub races of elves.. The sub-races being wood elves, high elves and subterranean elves (basically taking the place of the typical dwarves). So I will keep working at it in hopes that it will stand out more. Also, to you Ziggy, I see your point but I wanted to change the physiology up a bit. I'm sure culture differences will appear as a write and get deeper into the story.

Ziggy

Scribe
I just really don't see much of a difference between your version of an 'elf', and... a tall human that can hold his drink. It seems like your'e taking away archetypal elven traits, long life, magical and agility. And making them tall, short lived (relatively) with a large capacity for drinking and 'powerful warriors'. The fangs and the hearts just seem superficial. Is there any reasoning behind these decisions?

Alex

Troubadour
I just really don't see much of a difference between your version of an 'elf', and... a tall human that can hold his drink. It seems like your'e taking away archetypal elven traits, long life, magical and agility. And making them tall, short lived (relatively) with a large capacity for drinking and 'powerful warriors'. The fangs and the hearts just seem superficial. Is there any reasoning behind these decisions?
In that case, you are in fact right. In my attempt to be original, I strayed too far from what an elf is supposed to be in fantasy and mythology. I must say thanks for your input. Very well, I will try and come up with something original, without taking away from their traits.

Well the idea is certainly original, but I can't help wondering why you are still thinking of them as elves? As they are effectively a brand new race if you want to be really original why don't you give them a new name? It seems strange to call them elves when they are perfectly elligible as a brand new race.

Alex

Troubadour
That seems a fair idea, that way I can keep my idea and yet still have elves in my story, thank you very much for the thought. Just so you all know, I am new to fantasy as I am sure is obvious. But this begs a new question, how to pick a name?

That seems a fair idea, that way I can keep my idea and yet still have elves in my story, thank you very much for the thought. Just so you all know, I am new to fantasy as I am sure is obvious. But this begs a new question, how to pick a name?

Well, big question. If we are talking about a name for the race you should think about them as a whole picture and decide what they are like in terms of colour (figuratively), style, etc. Ask yourself stuff like: are they quite exotic compared to the humans? Are they more rustic or advanced? What is their culture like? Draw up a shortlist of between 5 and 10 names for them which captures the feel of them, like a name that sounds grand if thats what they are like, or a name that sounds exotic, you get the idea. Just play around and see what happens. This is by no means the only way of finding the right name, its just what I do, and I'm hardly a veteran.

If you need inspiration or want to get a feel for some names from other countries then check out this place (sorry if the link doesn't work)http://www.behindthename.com/

Last edited: