• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

recommended books to read to children?

Aosto

Sage
As the title says, any recommendations for books I could read to my five year old? I want to encourage an active imagination in my children.

Aosto

Sage
Thank you for the suggestions. As I said, I wish to keep his imagination active as well as work on reading comprehension. I plan to read to him a chapter or so and ask him to recall the events. The next night we will review the previous chapter and repeat the process. I don't have a lot of faith in our public school system and am going to undertake a lot of at home study to compliment his school work.

Aosto

Sage
As much as I agree with Dr Seuss, I want something more. We have done those books to death and I think he is ready for a full fledged novel

I think Steerpike wrote a children's novel recently. 2nd grade? but if you read it to the child that might augment the years. Ask him for more info

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Aosto, I highly recommend that you read The Neverending Story to your children, it's a different style of Fantasy with loads of imagination, inspiring characters and a beautiful message and meaning in the end =)

I have moved this thread into the Novels and Stories Forum.

grimreaper

Scribe
Perhaps you could try the dragonsdale series(two books , dragonsdale and dragonsdale :- riding the storm) . The author is Salamanda Drake . I read the first one when I was 12 and really liked it.
P.S:- the books are for the 8-12 age group.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Thanks, Zero Angel. Anyone who wants to read "Lorelei and the Lost and Found Monster" is certainly welcome to do so. I appreciate any and all feedback, particularly from kids (who are the target audience) :D

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I have also heard from many sources that the series called The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy is excellent to read to children and also to enjoy it yourself, but I have never read it...

Geo

Troubadour
I really like Momo and the Night of Wishes from Michael Ende, who also authored of the Never Ending Story, but these two are more suited for younger readers.

Coraline and the Graveyard Book from Neil Gaiman are also two great options.

And one of my favorites is the Book of the Jungle... a classic

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
My children are now 6 & 4. So far, we have read the following full novels after moving beyond the 7 page children's books:

Treasure Island
The Hobbit
The Jungle Book
The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I just read 4-6 pages a night.

Reactions: Geo

Geo

Troubadour
My children are now 6 & 4. So far, we have read the following full novels after moving beyond the 7 page children's books:

Treasure Island
The Hobbit
The Jungle Book
The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I just read 4-6 pages a night.

Yes The Jungle Book, I made the translation from Spanish but got it wrong... Thanks!

And yes the Harry Potter are great, I read them with my nephew starting when he was 5 yo.