• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Religion building

Reilith

Sage
I've been going through online resources for fantasy religion creation and I've found a short but well-rounded article about creating a religion. I believe it can apply to all aspects of fantasy, although the short bullet points can be expanded upon as you see fit(with your own imagination and knowledge or other resources).

=http://fantasy-faction.com/2012/creating-god-religion-in-fantasy-part-1]Creating God: Religion in Fantasy, part 1 | Fantasy-Faction

Last edited by a moderator:

LizLinz

Acolyte
Woah... this is a pretty awesome article. I continually have trouble with how to approach religion. Thanks so much for sharing, this will be really useful!

vigosinger

Acolyte
Not a direct answer, but may help for how they play out is the concept of worldviews.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reaver

Staff
So far this thread is fine. However, before it goes any further, a word from the creator of Mythic Scribes regarding religion as a topic here.

While we welcome discussions on religion, all exchanges must be carried out in a spirit of mutual respect and genuine inquiry.

The cardinal rule is this: treat all religions with respect.

A) When engaging in a discussion, look for what is good and true in all religions, even those that you may disagree with.

B) If you don't understand another person's belief, politely ask them to explain it, emphasizing that you want to understand where they are coming from.

C) If you strongly disagree with another person's belief, don't even bring it up. If your mind is already made up that they are wrong, there's no point in starting a discussion.

D) If you initially disagree with another person's belief, but are open to the possibility that they may be correct, then it's appropriate to engage them in a discussion. If you are legitimately interested in learning where they are coming from, then it's also fine to ask questions.

E) However, if you KNOW that you're right and that someone else is wrong, and your objective is to prove how right you are, then having a discussion is pointless.

F) Finally, attempting to deconstruct and prove as false another person's deeply held beliefs is not a respectful exchange.

In general, don't discuss religion unless:

1) You are legitimately open to other points of view.

2) You sincerely want to learn about other religious beliefs.

Take heed to this sage advice Scribes. Violators will face the wrath of The Reaver.

Thanks! :D

Last edited:

vigosinger

Acolyte
I've found the concept of worldviews helps me in world building & society building. It gives a full orbed template for how a religion affects a society.

The world I'm currently building has a tight pantheon. As I trying to fill my maps with cities & regions under the influence of any particular deities, I'm finding it influences everything from architecture to government.

No evangelism going on, just trying to share what is currently helping me build the mythos behind my world.

D&d by the by
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reaver

Staff
No evangelism going on, just trying to share what is currently helping me build the mythos behind my world.

You're doing fine, vigosinger. I would be remiss in my Moderator duties if I neglected to post that for all to see. Thanks for being a valued member and for contributing to the thread.