• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Spoiler-Fest: Game of Thrones S6

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I honestly just don't know what to say of it. My wife made me laugh when the Red Woman disrobed. She said, "How come she doesn't wear underpants?"

She and I both enjoyed Brienne's scene. My thing about departures from the book: if it strengthens the story, I'm for it. I hated seeing Sanda marry the Bolton bastard, but I'll admit, as the reader/viewer, you do care more about Sansa Stark than you do Jayne Poole. It SUCKS to see Sansa lose her virginity to a sadistic abuser, but you do feel more satisfaction in seeing her escape that and many men dying as Brienne prevents them from taking Sansa back. It's a much better plotline for Brienne than the one in the book.

The Sand Snakes are sexy killers. You know it won't end well for them.

Looking forward to The Wall, where those loyal to Jon will avenge him and preserve his corpse (which we can all expect will have life again in Season 7).

Overall, I liked it.

MineOwnKing

Maester
Having just watched the previous seasons again, I now noticed some big changes in S6.

Something is different about the dialogue. It felt flat to me, kinda blah. The vocal expressions are very toned down. Where as in previous seasons the dialogue came across as very theatrical, which I grew to like.

Almost every character has stepped out of character, speaking differently, behaving differently. Many look genuinely haggard.

Something has changed. I did enjoy the show and of course am dying to see more. Good or bad I'll probably love it either way.

I will say that I have also just begun watching Vikings season 4. I find it much more interesting and engaging than S6 so far.

Ben

Troubadour
I'm wondering how long they'll drag out Jon's resurrection. I'll they keep him on ice all season?

The episode felt hit or miss to me -- some characters, like Tyrion and Danny -- we basically checked in on with no plot movement.

Dorne was obviously the opposite. Really did not see that coming. Liked the book storyline better -- didn't seem like that's where the book is headed but maybe Arianne turns out to be ruthless.

Like the entire internet, was bewildered by how sand snakes teleported to King's Landing to kill Trystane.

Like the entire internet, was bewildered by how sand snakes teleported to King's Landing to kill Trystane.

I've only been able to rationalize it by thinking that maybe they hopped on a ship a day or two after their quarry left, although this was never shown.

I don't have as negative an opinion on the various things in the premier episode of S6 as other have apparently had. It was a typical reconnecting-with-the-various-plot-threads I somewhat expected.

But if they keep Jon on ice for most of the season, I'll be very upset unless other things are good enough to distract me from that. I actually fully expect his resurrection to happen this week on episode 2. Hope so, at least.

This morning I read an interview with the actor who plays Bran, and it's raised my excitement for this season even more: 'Game of Thrones' star on Bran's return: 'He's like Doctor Who!' | EW.com

MineOwnKing

Maester
Is sand snakes a reference from the book?

It took me a while to figure out what you guys were talking about. I imagined magic snakes made of sand for a moment.

How did I miss that scene?

Reactions: Ben

Ben

Troubadour
Oops I re read my post and it sounds like I was down on the first ep -- actually did not mean to give that impression, I liked it overall, I guess I subconsciously compare it to the great eps of the series. Yes, it's probably mandatory to do the check in scenes with everyone.

The bro-ish Khal and his Bro-riders were pretty amusing.

I thought they are called Sand Snakes one the show too? Oberyn's bastard daughters -- in Dorne noble bastards get the surname Sand (like Northmen get Snow). Snakes I guess because Oberyn liked using poison?

MineOwnKing

Maester
Okay,

I guess I missed that detail about the sand snakes. Gives me a good excuse to watch it again.

Now that I've started reading Book 1, I'm enjoying it more having watched the shows.

I think the first time I started reading it I was bored by all the titles, but I like it now. It's interesting to see the characters through Martin's eyes too.

I never imagined Ned Stark being only 35 years old. I had a retired Boromir stuck in my head.

DeathtoTrite

Troubadour
That first show was probably one of the worst thus far. I like it when they kill important characters. It keeps us honest. The Sand Snakes killing Doran and his son was just beyond stupid though. For one thing, the books show Doran is way, way smarter than the Sand Snakes. For another, there is absolutely no way this doesn't end HORRIBLY for Dorne. They're the smallest, weakest kingdom. Just the whole thing felt like someones bad fanfiction of Game of Thrones seeking wish fulfillment. It makes no sense. Absolutely none. I hope the Sand Snakes get caught by Ramsey.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
For one thing, the books show Doran is way, way smarter than the Sand Snakes.
Yes. I agree. I remember liking his character a great deal because his intelligence made up for his infirmity.

His bodyguard (large ax in the books, massive pole arm in the show) was also a more than competent warrior. The sand snakes killed him far too easily.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Defeated by a knife. That was a WTF for me. Yeah, the Sand Snakes are a weak plot line. They look sexy, they kill. They're eye candy villains who will likely die horribly, and I'm not sure how the viewer's supposed to feel when their arc comes to its inevitable conclusion.

Edit - I realize all GoT characters can be described as "_____ who will likely die horribly."

Last edited:

Reilith

Sage
I've noticed that a lot of characters in the show die from "unsuspecting" knives. It's become a little stale.

On the other hand - watched EP 2 and boy oh boy was it a festival or what?? Also, I simply CAN'T force myself to like Ramsey - he is the full incarnation of GRRM's writing - shock value that has become boring and obvious. Props for not expecting how he dealt with his father. Also, Tyrion's scene was amazing and tense - in a good way. And the ending.... It was a good build-up, wasn't forced and it made me want to see it happen!

Overall - much much better than the previous episode.

Also, Dani not being present in this one is a big plus for me. Her storyline in the show is boring and useless.

I thought the ending of Ep. 2 was a little lackluster.

But then, I'd been expecting since the end of the previous season a resurrection by fire, so a mirroring of Daenerys' emergence from the bonfire and a combo Lord of Light + Targaryen climax. When it was mentioned on the show that they'd get a fire ready for his body, that was a fake out for me, although even then I wasn't sure. But I suppose they don't want to reveal the Targaryen connection to Jon yet.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I didn't see the Bolton betrayal coming. The mother and baby slaughter… well, yeah.

They should have melted down knives to make the iron throne. Knives are so effective, I don't know why the pissing guy didn't just stab Ser Robert Strong. The knife would go through his armor and insta-kill the eight foot zombie.

I was kind of laughing at the way everyone dissed the red woman. "Geez, lady, it's been over a minute—almost TWO—and he's still dead. You SUCK. I… I don't even wanna talk to you. I'm just gonna turn my back and leave. You're a nothing. A NOTHING!"

Then after everyone walks out, she's like, "Yeah, I am a nothing. Three minutes. Yeah, I guess I don't have the power, or Jon'd be tap-dancing by now. I do suck. I am a nothing, but even a nothing has better things to do than stand here for a fourth minute. I'm gonna go lie naked in bed, in my true form in case someone walks in on me."

Then the dog's like, "She's a nothing. I'd leave too, but I'm a dog so I can't open the door. Why'd that nothing have to close the door behind her? She does suck."

Then Jon wakes up, and I'm like, "Yeah, you better not make me wait another episode to find out I was right since I first read that part in the book. Oh… YAAAAAAY!"

Ben

Troubadour
Also, Dani not being present in this one is a big plus for me. Her storyline in the show is boring and useless.

I know right? I used to be down with the Special K but her storyline moves at the rate of tectonic plates and fingernail growth.

Ben

Troubadour
Legendary Sidekick nailed it. It didn't hit me at the time, but yeah, how long do you wait to see if a raise dead spell works? Even JC took two days

I knew Jon coming back wouldn't be in the first episode. I was actually expecting them to do it in the second last or the last episode of the season- to make for a big finale.

Tyrion freeing the dragons was a pretty amazing scene. I thought Peter did a great job conveying that story.

I'm pretty happy with the season so far. I think they are off on a solid start. I wonder where they will take the story now that they have no more books to go off of.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Legendary Sidekick nailed it. It didn't hit me at the time, but yeah, how long do you wait to see if a raise dead spell works? Even JC took two days
I was polite enough to keep my mouth shut until credit roll. I told my wife, "I know this is TV so everything needs to take less than a minute, but she's trying to raise a guy from the dead, and she's never done it before." Can't they give her more than a minute or two to succeed? I'd think bringing someone back from the dead within an hour is not bad for the first time.

That said, I can make the jokes and still enjoy the show. Tyrion freeing the dragons was awesome, and Arya and Brienne/Sansa is working for me. I forgot kingsmoot didn't happen in the show yet, so the Greyjoy plot might be fun. Robert Strong makes me kinda like Cersei. I look forward to her minion causing some carnage.

Reilith

Sage
I just don't think it was the Red Woman alone raising him from the dead - the others had more will in them, maybe the gods answered in unison?

Sent from my HTC Desire 820 using Tapatalk

MineOwnKing

Maester
I'd say we have our proof that Tyrion Lannister is actually Tyrion Targaryen.

I'm still confident that Daenerys will inspire viewers as her dragons defeat the white walkers. I mean, that's the whole point of building her up, right? I will say that her character was more interesting when interacting with Ser Jorah Mormont. I really enjoy watching Iain Glen play the part.

I found the part where Ser Davos Seaworth begged Melisandre to bring Jon Snow back to life a real stretch. They have always hated each other, Jon was clearly dead. There was no reason to bring him back nor for Ser Davos to consider asking. It made no sense.

It's still not clear what Bran Stark is up to. I feel there should be more explained about the tree and Bran's purpose there. He could have stayed home and had visions rather than trek all the way up north in the freezing cold.

It's getting better but the dialogue is lacking. Tyrion needs more air time. He is the star with the most magnetism.

Ben

Troubadour
I found the part where Ser Davos Seaworth begged Melisandre to bring Jon Snow back to life a real stretch. They have always hated each other, Jon was clearly dead. There was no reason to bring him back nor for Ser Davos to consider asking. It made no sense.

It's still not clear what Bran Stark is up to. I feel there should be more explained about the tree and Bran's purpose there. He could have stayed home and had visions rather than trek all the way up north in the freezing cold.

I kept asking myself if he had ever seen a red priest raise someone from the dead, otherwise seems like a random request, even if you had seen them do ****ed up shit before.

I don't mind Bran's story. I got the impression from the books he was going to end up part of the local flora so I was surprised them mentioning he would need help when he leaves. Surely he's got some role to play. I'm a little more interested in the three eyes Raven since I recently read the dunk and egg novellas and found out his background.

Like Legendary, I enjoy making jokes about the stuff but I'm all in, still loving the show