• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Spoiler-Fest: Game of Thrones S6

Sam and Gilly at sea and the King's Moot are in book 5 and S6, and so far, are similar to the book as far as I can tell. Yeah, the rest is all new whether due to changes or simply being book 6 material.

Yeah, I'd forgotten those. I should have remembered, because those two things are an example of what I meant when I said I worried about the producers rushing the conclusion to the series. We still have to see Sam become whatever he's going to become, and we still have to see the Iron Islands story line develop. Those will probably happen throughout this season; but then it will be a quick jump to the finale season if next season is the last. (Maybe they'll do a training montage for Sam similar to what they seem to be trying with Arya, but she's already underway this season.)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Oh right… Arya getting her eyes back is book 5. But her story is changed slightly, so maybe that's why I don't think of it as book 5. Like Brienne, though her deviation is so severe it's simply a different arc. (Better than where she is in the book, in my opinion.)

Ben

Troubadour
Well, as I feared Rickon was the gift. I'm not sure what the point is of having yet another character from the original Stark household for Ramsay to torture, after just having Sansa and Theon escape. Perhaps Jon and the Wildlings will keep him too busy to do any flaying.
As far as Essos, if you're not showing the dragons I'm not too interested. Maybe we can skip the Dario/Jorah rescue sequence and skip straight to Drogon swooping in.

MineOwnKing

Maester
This episode makes me think of my fishing trips to Canada. I can endure the wind and the waves for a week to slay the walleyes but for the casual angler it might be Hell on water.

If this was my first viewing of GoT, I would probably not be interested in watching it again. You need to be a die hard fan to enjoy the ensemble cast. Where are the white walkers? Where are the dragons?

The characters need to overcome obstacles in a shorter time frame. Honestly, why spend more time on Samwell Tarly? When Rickon was revealed all I could think was--yeah, sure, kill him off and be done with it. We've known Rickon for what, 30 seconds of air time? Why should we care?

Boo. :mad:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I actually fell asleep through part of the episode and didn't bother catching up on on-demand.

Honestly, I'm surprised at this. I'm still watching tonight, but I have to honestly ask myself how into this series I am. If I miss Person of Interest, Blindspot, Madam Secretary or Chicago PD, I watch it again. Yet, for this GoT episode, I dozed off, woke up again, and didn't worry about what I missed. (GoT is the only show I watch before it's available on on-demand. I don't even know when all the other shows I like are on, or what channel.)

Here's hoping tonight will have something awesome so I don't doze off and not care!

I really liked this episode. I'm glad Jon an Sansa are together again. There was some hope put back into the series that I feel has been drifting away through out the seasons.

I also like that Tormund Giantsbane was eyeing Brianne the whole episode.

Little finger seems weird this episode. Like less masterful acting and more like a caricature. But then I think about the Vale running on a sort of 'wonderland' kind of logic and maybe that's fine. Is it just me that thinks the Vale is westeros' wonderland?

ah well.

I'm glad Danny is killing people again. I really liked that ending shot. Could have used drogo showing up. I think that would have been awesome. Just like Drogo swoops in and Danny is like, " Did the woman not say that my son would be the stallion that mounts the world? Well here is my son."

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I agree with all of the above. The burning was awesome. No surprise Ramsey killed the wildling woman, but at least it was quick. I didn't expect her to survive capture and really didn't want to see her become his plaything.

I think Dario will die because he's just too good and so cocky about it. But then, I want him to die, so I may be building up this expectation for the wrong reason.

Reactions: Ben
...I think Dario will die because he's just too good and so cocky about it. But then, I want him to die, so I may be building up this expectation for the wrong reason.

Oh yeah. I'm with you on that. Daario he's too cocky, good, childish about everything. He hasn't been tempered by the game yet. That's what's keeping me from liking him.

Ben

Troubadour
Agree with you guys, Daario must go.

And yes, Littlefinger's scene walked a fine line and maybe shaded into caricature.

I wish Osha had maybe at least left a scar on Ramsay's face or gouged an eye. Would have given the scene more value. As it was, another notch for serial killer Ramsay.

About that final Dany scene -- I read somewhere where they asked GRRM if the previous firewalk meant that she was immune to fire, and he said no, it was a one time miracle thing. So I was surprised to see it used again. But that's a great point Luna, I hadn't thought that one of he dragons would be "the stallion that mounts he world".

Sansa/Jon reunion was fave moment of the ep.

Ben

Troubadour
Sorry, can't help myself, need to elaborate on that Osha scene.

Ok, we know she's extraneous, so she has to go at this stage in the game when we're tying off the loose ends.
She was a big enough character that having her die offscreen would be lame.
So Ramsay has to kill her. And we know there's no chance she's going to be the one to kill him. Which led for me to a very dramatic scene with no drama. That's why I say it would have been good to surprise us by at least giving Ramsay a little injury, and remind us he's human and not invulnerable.

MineOwnKing

Maester
I liked this episode.

Sansa is acting like her mother. That line of thinking didn't work out so good before. But if the soldiers of the Eyrie arrive in time they might take Winterfell.

Tyrion got some good lines, happy to see him more involved.

Loved the scene with Daenerys. Fly those dragons North before winter comes and smoke those white walkers out! Booya.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Sorry, can't help myself, need to elaborate on that Osha scene.

Ok, we know she's extraneous, so she has to go at this stage in the game when we're tying off the loose ends.
She was a big enough character that having her die offscreen would be lame.
So Ramsay has to kill her. And we know there's no chance she's going to be the one to kill him. Which led for me to a very dramatic scene with no drama. That's why I say it would have been good to surprise us by at least giving Ramsay a little injury, and remind us he's human and not invulnerable.
I agree. Osha is a survivor and a protector until the all-powerful Ramsey knifes her.

It's getting old-hat to see his cocky, victorious grin. You expect him to do something horrible, so Osha and also the mother and baby were unsurprising. Only gutting his father came off as dramatic because it was somewhat unexpected… most of us may have been asking if he'd kill his father, but there was no question about the kills that followed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I simply don't like the kind of setup that lets us know, well ahead of time, what's probably going to happen. From the moment Ramsay put his knife down and Osha put on her seductive mask, I think it was pretty obvious what was going to happen.

Overall though, the episode was the best this season so far. The Sansa-Jon reunion was the first Stark reunion since everyone went their separate ways, right? (And they went far north, far south early in the season.)

I'm wondering what Daenerys will say to Tyrion when she finds out he's given the slavers 7 years to stop slaving. I mean, she's going to show up with a horde of Dothraki, so it's not like she can't put down those rebellions. The show might take its time reuniting Dany with her followers in Meereen—long enough for the ships to arrive from Pyke by the end of the season (thus setting up next season.)

So Arya drinking that poison water means she's authentically forsaken her identity as Arya, isn't just playing around now?

Last edited:
Its funny I heard a theory about this a while ago, and now that it played out as being true. I'm just crying. What was this episode? This was a great episode! I'm just- don't mind the water works I need to find some band-aids for my soul.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I had a feeling Hodor was doomed when I saw the pixyish creatures making a last stand. It also explains Hodor's intense fear. He sort of knew this moment was coming.

Tragic but in a good way, and I liked the episode overall.

The red priestess who beat the Spider at his own game looks young. She's probably only a 250-year-old lady.

Ben

Troubadour
No kidding Legendary she's wearing the same necklace! It is known ...

Probably the best episode that didn't involve a battle or getting chased out of a hard home by ice zombies IMO (I guess actually it did involve the latter)

Bummed that we are down to just 2 direwolves :(

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
No kidding Legendary she's wearing the same necklace! It is known ...
The Glamor might reduce age by a factor of ten. Mid-20s actress for ~age 250. Melisandre's supposed to be 400 and the actress is 39.

Bummed that we are down to just 2 direwolves :(
One male, one female though, right? They can make more. (I know… I'm not supposed to be optimistic about anything in ASoIaF, even replacing dead pets.)

I just assume the dire wolves and Starks are paired so the boys got boy dogs and the girls got girl dogs. Sansa's wolf was named Lady. I don't have an Exhibit B.

The Glamor might reduce age by a factor of ten. Mid-20s actress for ~age 250. Melisandre's supposed to be 400 and the actress is 39.

I don't know. Maybe she takes off the necklace and she's a 10-year-old girl. It could work both ways, right?

I was surprised Bran's wolf bit the dust. But this actually works out. That direwolf and Hodor were the only two Bran had warged into, right? So now he'll have to find other things if he's going to warg. (The wheels turn...)