• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sharing your world to the rest of the world

ksmith

Dreamer
This question is more for those building a complete world. Have any of you started to share your world? If you have when did you start and how?

Even though the first book is not published yet, alot of people are asking me about my world. I would love to tell them more about the world but how much detail should I share? Should I spill the beans on the entire world or just focus what will be seen in the book and expose more when second book is almost ready to be published.

I would think to focus on what they read and blossom from there.

Nomadica

Troubadour
For me it may depend oh who they are. people close to me I shar everything. But I dont know if I'd ever be published so that may make it different. Its just for for me right now and I am excited about the world so I like to shar all of it.

WooHooMan

Auror
I usually assume very few people care about worlds on their own. They care about worlds when there's a story attached.
So, no, I don't share my worlds.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I shared (and share) pretty much everything to do with my world. I got myself a wikia page and put up every article I wrote about it there: Odd Lands Wiki - Wikia

It's been a few years since I added anything to it, but I still refer to it now and then.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I second Svrtnsse on sharing your world's background via the Net--wiki, blog, web site, whatever. Unlike Svrtnsse, I would not share actual stories there ("actual" here defined as stuff I expect to publish), but that still leaves lots of room for images, essays, and ruminations of all sorts.

C

Chessie

Would a website or wiki be best,, if i go that route?
A website with a blog would be a great way to get your worldbuilding up in one place. A wiki might be even better for such purposes.

Reilith

Sage
Now this got me thinking. I usually share my worlds with people close to me - friends, boyfriend etc. But I've never shared much of my world over the internet. I did share many tidbits with my critique partner - Ray M. but above that I haven't even thought of doing a wikia or blog.

So this is an interesting thing to think upon, as my world expands. And there are quite a few options. For people who don't have the money/want to pay there is always an option to share on blogspot or some sort of free website hosting, or even tumblr. Tumblr is very good for any sort of sharing, but the reblog button is what I am concerned about. I'd like it to be neat so people can find what they are looking for, but not as easy to share/or steal (and we know that's a possibility).

I have confidants that I share everything with, but beyond that I share little of my writing, even with those closest to me! I prefer to pique their curiosity so they will want to read the book themselves.

La Volpe

Sage
I generally hoard my idea/world-building/story until the last possible moment, like it's the last can of beans at a post-apocalyptic picnic. I have that weird problem where I lose interest in a story the moment I tell anyone.

But even after I've finished the story, I wouldn't share more than what is revealed in the book, for a simple reason: I might want to change something. I.e. I don't want to be locked (even just mildly) into a certain version of my world before I am completely done with it. Who knows, maybe I realise that a major part of the culture has to change while I'm writing the final chapter.

Then again, I am a little bit paranoid, so maybe it's just that.

troynos

Minstrel
Without a story or hook (like playing an RPG), I don't really care about the details of a world and enjoy exploring it through the stories.

With something like Forgotten Realms, got hooked on the books, and then got into the other material available (gaming manuals, etc..) because got hooked on the story first.

So for my world, I'm only sharing bits and pieces as I build it through the books and game manual.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Wanting to reveal your world is a symptom of positive reinforcement. You share because you want people to congratulate you for what work you've done.

As Troynos has pointed out, unless there is some kind of hook to the revelation, no one cares. We are authors first and foremost. Worldbuilding is a tool in your Batman Utility Belt ©. Don't fall to the temptation of positive reinforcement. Work, polish, and produce a story. The story is all. It's the gateway to your world.

Source: I'm an avid worldbuilder. I've also shared some of my world online.