• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

god

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Rajat. :D

Hmm what are my views?

Well I suppose that I think that God is real in some form or another, if for no other reason than I want them to exist.

Do know what they want? How many there are? and oh so many other points of contention? Not at all.

I tend to think of religion like a bad illness, one that we can recover from if we educate ourselves, and understand that what is right for someone else may in fact be wrong for me.

Imho "God" could be called by as many names as there are religions.

For I have always felt that there are many paths that might be taken in regards to religion.

Furthermore, the sooner everyone stops trying to cram their belief system down other people throats the better.

No one will convince me that I am wrong, and I am never going to convince others that I am right.

Religion is something that is deeply personal, I happen to think that it should stay that way.

It would go a long way in preventing unnecessary conflict.

On a more persoanl Note I was raised Southern Baptist. However I converted to hinduism long ago.

Last edited:

Xanados

Maester
Jehovah? The Christian God? There is more than one. I have a particular dislike for Christians who call their deity "God". No he isn't called "God". He is A God.

Anway... do we really want to start a religion thread? Really?

Giant

Minstrel
I believe that there is something greater than all of us out there. But I don't try to define what it is, I just accept that I will never understand why/how we came to be.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
@Xan, if you actually follow a religion, you won't speak as if your religion is probably wrong. If your religion is monotheistic, and you believe this religion is the truth, you betray yourself by speaking as if other gods exist.

I'm typing this before church, and I've mentioned being Catholic and marrying Catholic before.

That said, @Lotus, good move. I had a Catholic friend who married a Muslim. It was not important to me which of them converted, but I believe that when it comes to religion parents need to pick one or none. To be raised under two conflicting belief systems would make for a confusing childhood.

On religion, I believe a discussion of religion is actually "safer" than one on politics--under one condition: nothing is up for debate.

My experience in Hong Kong was that most people can discuss religion respectfully. I've been to Taoist funerals. My wife was worried about what I would think, but I found it fascinating! (A lot of drumming, kung fu-like poses, and breaking stuff!) My experience discussing religion in the US is much different. Everyone from atheists to unitarians states his belief as fact and any contradiction is evidence of the other guy's ignorance.

If this thread can be more like my Hong Kong experience, we will learn much about each other, and what a vast place this world truly is.

If this is going to be a my-belief-is-better-than-yours discussion, we may as well all leave this forum and run for congress. Then we can get paid for having arguments that never end and solve nothing. (Okay, I made a political joke, but I didn't take sides so I think that was safe.)

Xanados

Maester
@Xan, if you actually follow a religion, you won't speak as if your religion is probably wrong. If your religion is monotheistic, and you believe this religion is the truth, you betray yourself by speaking as if other gods exist.

I don't follow any religion. I respect the values of Asatru, the Norse Pagan religion, though. I have respect for nature and my ancestry.

Last edited:

Telcontar

Staff
I'm an atheist, raised catholic. Starting doubting the so-called truth of my religion pretty early on, but didn't really acknowledge myself as an atheist til I was 20 or so.

However, I do have thoughts on god/gods, which are best summed up in a quote from Marcus Aurelius (the Roman emperor):

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

I think that regardless of the existence of a deity, religion was obviously crafted by people. I'm still not sure whether I believe most religions were intentionally designed to maintain control over a populace, but there are lots of elements in the most popular ones that make me wonder.

zizban

Troubadour
I believe in God. I don't get to into arguments or debates about it. I just believe and I am comfortable with that.

I do believe any connection with the infinite is good, whether that comes through religion and prayer or meditation or chanting. It's all good.

Xanados

Maester
I'm an atheist, raised catholic. Starting doubting the so-called truth of my religion pretty early on, but didn't really acknowledge myself as an atheist til I was 20 or so.

However, I do have thoughts on god/gods, which are best summed up in a quote from Marcus Aurelius (the Roman emperor):

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

I think that regardless of the existence of a deity, religion was obviously crafted by people. I'm still not sure whether I believe most religions were intentionally designed to maintain control over a populace, but there are lots of elements in the most popular ones that make me wonder.
You speak the truth.
"Religion was obviously crafted by people". Very true. I personally believe that man needed some form of internal validation. There was a documentary on the creation of deities, but I forgot what it was called.

I don't need to need to follow any deity. I don't need salvation. My ancestors, my blood, are the ones I have to thank for bringing me into this world.

Last edited:

JazzTD

Dreamer
I was raised Agnostic, so to me God may or may not exist. There is no proof that he does exist nor proof that he doesn't. So until I'm shown proof of either existence or non-existence, well, then I'll actually form an opinion on it.

However if God does indeed exist, he must be a pretty cruel person, or not even a person at all. To have the power to create an entire race and be "all mighty", he'd probably be an extraterrestrial, or some kind of sentient plasma cloud, perhaps he's like dark matter, which is everywhere but invisible.

Then again if we are created in God's image and he's cruel then it makes sense for humans to be cruel as well. Although if it were the physical aspects then there's a humanoid alien life form out there somewhere(sci-fi much?).

However, by tracing the paths of evolution through time maybe God was an amoeba or a dinosaur. Or looked that way, if he had their intelligence then well ... maybe humans were an accident.

Basically it's all just speculation on my part. As there is no concrete fact to prove it's one way or the other, right or left, right or wrong, up or down, I'm going to wait to form a concrete opinion on who or what God is or is not.

But whatever people choose to believe is their own right and as long as they don't try and tattoo Jesus across my forehead, I'm good.

fleamailman

Closed Account
"...I don't believe in god, because I know god, but I don't know what I know, and yet I know it all the same..." ventured the goblin, adding "...look, no one goes around saying that they believe in death, though they know death, but they don't know what they know, and yet they know it all the same, same difference perhaps...", just that the goblin was gnostic, continuing "...so when people replace knowledge with belief, it just states that they are fobbing their homework for an excuse not to find out..." adding "...and how organized religion tricks one into following their externals each time, when all along it is just you alone with this infinite internal that touches you now..."

kollwitz_death.jpg

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't feel comfortable talking at length about my beliefs here. I feel sad about that because I love talking about matters of faith with people of another belief system, if they can "get over it" and communicate fairly. So few of the people I know can really do that.

I will say one thing. I've almost never heard someone of one belief system accurately describe the beliefs of a system they weren't a part of. Please, just don't even try, ask questions instead.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Yes, I am convinced that God exists. I've experienced real miracles, so I'm a believer.

I explain my perspective on this here:

Fantasy Writing and the Spiritual Quest

I have great respect for other viewpoints, including those who disagree with me. This is a deeply personal issue, and it's impossible to convince someone else through reason or arguments. Largely, this comes down to what you've encountered in life.

Based on my life experiences, I am convinced that there is far more to this world than what we can see or touch.

Telcontar

Staff
I've almost never heard someone of one belief system accurately describe the beliefs of a system they weren't a part of. Please, just don't even try, ask questions instead.

I always ask questions, because I'm not sure it is possible to describe the beliefs of any system, save in one case - a person describing their own beliefs. Back when I was still a catholic I knew that lots and lots of other people who were still a part of 'my' religion believed differently on many things. I have no doubt this is true for all religions, and in fact all people.

Every person, no matter their professed religion, carries a personal religion around with them. The beliefs of it may vary vastly with other people of the same professed religion. There may be some way to get an 'official' version if a religion has a supreme authority (ie, the Pope for catholics) but even then beliefs and attitudes will change as new leaders come along.

Of course, you were probably referring to a more 'in-general' type of accuracy. There I'd say yeah, the vast majority have little real notion of the beliefs of other religions.

JazzTD

Dreamer
How would one prove non-existence?

One can't. c: That's the fun part. Although I guess one could argue the proof of non-existence is that we don't have proof of existence, but that's just confusing.

I like to think that the mystery will be solved when I die somewhere along the road, whether I go to heaven or hell or simply cease to exist, there will be an answer. Well, I think so anyway, but for now it's unknowable.

Of course the only right answer is I am wrong and everyone else is right. No, wait, that's not right. How is it?

Oh, nevermind. I side on the unproven=false side of the fence, but I am willing to accept that I may be wrong.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
There may be some way to get an 'official' version if a religion has a supreme authority (ie, the Pope for catholics) but even then beliefs and attitudes will change as new leaders come along.

Actually it's little things like that I was referring to as much as the larger things. Someone with an academic or technical knowledge of Catholicism wouldn't readily describe the Pope as a "supreme authority," at least without many, many qualifications to that statement. But I see a number of similarly inaccurate or misleading statements about every belief system, even those which on the face of it would sound "simple" enough, like atheism or agnosticism.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I believe in some sort of superior, omnipresent power... and I also believe that the universe is far stranger and far more complex than any human mind could ever imagine or understand =)

Status
Not open for further replies.