• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you listen to?

C

Chessie

It's fitting given that the story has me by the throat. :)

Ted Nugent <3

C

Chessie

Starting out my afternoon writing session with Dawnguard's soundtrack:

Last edited by a moderator:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Shameless self-promotion. I put a new mix-set together, here: Endless Afternoon (Escape From Mundanity #3) by svrtnsse | Mixcloud

It goes for slightly less than an hour and the type of music is progressive psychedelic trance (electronic dance music for all you metal heads). I tried to pick out tracks with a relaxed, summery feel to them and arranged them in an order of increasing energy/intensity. This means the set starts out fairly calm and quiet, but builds up to more melodic, wilder tracks towards the end.

If you're into this kind of stuff, please give it a shot. If you're not, please give it a shot anyway. :p

caters

Sage
I am very specific as far as genres. I only listen to classical when at home or occasionally Piano Man instrumental. Every classical music piece I listen to, if I know it has voice or I look it up and it has voice, I listen only to the instrumental because while I do like opera, I think it is only to be listened to on special occasions.

One of the ones I listen to when writing something about a trip through space is this:

To me it sounds like the ups and downs of a trip through space. First up is getting out of the atmosphere. Second up is travelling at max speed. All the other ups have to do with either something happening in space or landing(or in the case of a generation ship, teleporting people) on the planet(not necessarily Mars).

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
@caters - why only opera on special occasions? I can loose days to Wagner's Ring Cycle. Usually when I can't afford to loose days...
As for listening to... Today its Guys and Dolls soundtracks [there are at least 6 versions I've found]
but especially this ...
Fugue for Tinhorns

caters

Sage
@caters - why only opera on special occasions? I can loose days to Wagner's Ring Cycle. Usually when I can't afford to loose days...
As for listening to... Today its Guys and Dolls soundtracks [there are at least 6 versions I've found]
but especially this ...
Fugue for Tinhorns

In my opinion, if you listen to opera regularly, even if it is only weekly, it gets boring after a while. That has happened to me in the past. Instrumental however is never boring to me no matter how many times I listen to it. So voice or no voice for me determines whether or not it will get boring if I listen to it on a regular basis.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
In my opinion, if you listen to opera regularly, even if it is only weekly, it gets boring after a while. That has happened to me in the past. Instrumental however is never boring to me no matter how many times I listen to it. So voice or no voice for me determines whether or not it will get boring if I listen to it on a regular basis.

This is really interesting. I'm not sure I've thought about it in quite that way before, but I think I can see where it's coming from. It may be I'm thinking of lyrics specifically though, and not just vocals.

I guess it may be that adding lyrics to music will somewhat limit the inspirational qualities? Like the song ties the mood of the music closer to that which you associate it with? Maybe. I don't know. Either way, interesting.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Repartition would become boring, but that is why I love classical music [huge area/topic I know], there is just sooooo much of it and even if you know a piece very well, there can be 20 different version of it that you can get something out of.
There is a great radio programme on Saturday mornings when they take one piece and show the differences of 5-10 different recordings of it [and they are wonderfully snide about at the same time...:p]
I don't see it that way about the voice versus instrumental music, but that is just personal preference. I will listen to some lyrical songs almost every day, if I am in the mood for them or trying to move myself into that mood.

Russ

Istar
I listen to opera almost every day and have never found it boring.

And while I love musicals, for every "Guys and Dolls" soundtrack one can find I bet there are ten versions of the hundreds of quality operas that we have access to.

One, after time, can learn to listen to the human voice as an instrument. In fact that is how people in that industry refer to a voice, as an instrument. An opera singer (or say Freddy Mercury) can make music with the voice the same way a virtuoso instrumentalist does.

Callas anyone?

Last edited:

Gryphos

Auror
Recently I've embraced my South London-ness and started listening to some grime. As someone who tries their hand at poetry, I have immense respect for rappers' ability to construct lyrically complex bars.

La Volpe

Sage
I'm currently listening to this:

One of the best OSTs I've heard, ever. Really awesome game as well.

C

Chessie

As my love of Led Zeppelin is known, I had to share probably the best cover of this song. Move over Zepperella!