• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Another question about names

Okay folks, its like this. In my fantasy world, currently in production, nearly all my characters have made-up names, people like Ruby Valthara, and Lyrriman, you get the idea. However, a few (and I should point out its a small few) have names from our world. Its not like I have Bob the adventurer and Kirsty the mage, but I have a guy called Sigmund and even a guy called Armando in there. I'm not using common names I should pooint out. The question is, can I get away with this? Would you as the reader find it jarring to have a mix of names like this? I personally feel alright about it but I'm still a bit of a greenhorn, so I want an outside opinion or 3.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
If the characters are all from the same part of the world, from the same society or group of people, I'd expect some consistency unless it is clear the society is very diverse. If you had an isolated village or town where everyone was of the same race and cultural heritage, and used names that divergent, it would put me off.

But if it is clear that these are different people, with different heritages, or from different parts of the world, then it wouldn't bother me at all to see vastly different names.

Xanados

Maester
I would find it jarring, Aidan. A name is just a name, however. They are quite arbitrary.
I believe there is a character called Sigmund in the Warhammer Fantasy universe.
Edit: I agree with Steerpike. Naming conventions and consistancies are very important to me.

It's not inherently a problem; GRRM does this loads in A Song of Ice and Fire. You've got Jon and Brandon and Robert, and then you've got Tyrion and Cersei and Illyrio (all of which may well be real names in some real culture, but are not commonly known in the west). As long as there's not an obvious clash between them, and they fit into the world you've created, I don't see it as a problem at all.

Taytortots

Minstrel
I personally have this in my work in progress.
I don't know if it's a bad thing, and if I were a reader I would likely make note of it, but it wouldn't bother me.
I personally have names according to culture. I have a human named Chris, but a Warlock named Abraxas, and much more shall we say odd/unique names, specifically for the ancient cultures (dwarves, elves).
All I'll say is make it consistent, that might be what people would find jarring. It doesn't even have to be a culture thing, but if one family has a brother named Jim and a sister named Acholate, well, that just doesn't seem right.

Telcontar

Staff
I do it all the time. I think the only important thing to do is - if characters are from the same society - make sure they sound right against each other. Don't name two character Lariman and Robert, and then name a third Gith'zim'zathul and say that they are from the same small village. Which one is not like the others?

Edit: Hah! Just noticed Taytortots said damn near the same thing before me. That's what I get for not reading till the end of the thread...

I have done this on accident. One time I went through and googled all my characters names I made and one of their names was the name of a Persian God lol. When it comes to "normal" names I never use them in my fantasy works. I try to keep them seperate. But with names like Sigmund I really don't see a problem. As long as the names are not common I suppose it's fine. Like, I wouldn't recomend having fantasy names and then mix it in with alex, ben, david, etc. But remember it's your story, set it up how YOU want it :)
Good luck!

My writing is heavily influenced by mythology, and so I welcome the addition of a good-sounding real-world deity or hero to my story if it sounds right. The only strict rule I have for names is that they have to be culturally significant. Significant to the culture of the story, I mean. I take from tolkien the importance of language to fantasy worlds, and I believe that a culture's language will also dictate the form and sound of a name. (Think Swedish Sven Gjarhd or Indian Patma Vindahal).

This will obviously mean less in the real world as we continue to interconnect, but in my fantasy world things are still pretty spread out. :)

If the characters are all from the same part of the world, from the same society or group of people, I'd expect some consistency unless it is clear the society is very diverse. If you had an isolated village or town where everyone was of the same race and cultural heritage, and used names that divergent, it would put me off.

But if it is clear that these are different people, with different heritages, or from different parts of the world, then it wouldn't bother me at all to see vastly different names.

Phew, luckily for me the story mainly takes place around Hartwood, which is the most important trading centre in the region, so there is some diversity. Thanks.

I have done this on accident. One time I went through and googled all my characters names I made and one of their names was the name of a Persian God lol. When it comes to "normal" names I never use them in my fantasy works. I try to keep them seperate. But with names like Sigmund I really don't see a problem. As long as the names are not common I suppose it's fine. Like, I wouldn't recomend having fantasy names and then mix it in with alex, ben, david, etc. But remember it's your story, set it up how YOU want it :)
Good luck!

Oh it happens to you to, haha. I was convinced I had invented the name Thia only to find it was a greek name that meant 'heavenly' or something. I was in a bad mood all day.

Thanks everyone for the great input. As an afternote there is a total of 4 names from our world in there: Sigmund, Armando, Ruby, and Crispin.