• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Khargs

Smajdalf

Scribe
Demons of other world, Khargs, are a living shadow that absorb soul of what they kill and can transform in it. What do you think? Is it a good idea?

Swordfry

Troubadour
Interesting. Sounds like interdimensional changelings, but they have to kill what they change into. Could have some real potential here. Are they bound to shadows and darkness?

Smajdalf

Scribe
They are actually being made of shadow, means something like they are half-matter beings. Their body even absorbs light, means when they come, the darkness comes with them. And they aren't bound to darkness, but, they are weakened on daylight so when in a huge cave or big depths in canyon, that's a real paradise for them. They can't swim but they sort of levitate or float. Some of the Khargs are even mutating. I think with it, they killed maybe four lifeforms and they change to all of them at once and a mutant is made. The mutants don't look much pretty.ě

Last edited:

Swordfry

Troubadour
Sounds good, pretty interesting. Let me give you a little suggestion to think over to maybe expand on these guys more: Have them be literal shadows, flat, one dimensional beings in our dimension and others that is not their home plane, and have them become fully fleshed beings when they kill and change. They can kill as shadows, and this could lead to some very cool scenes with light and shadow play if written well. I just think beings from another dimension should have something about them that is different. They can be backwards, upside down, or in this case, they are flat shadows at least here and in other dimensions. Or maybe this is not what you had in mind, I don't know, but just some food for thought.

Smajdalf

Scribe
Thanks, but they can't be flat, because this book: Rithmatist. It's about flat chalklings, creatures drawed by special people and bringed to life made of chalk.:(

Smajdalf

Scribe
Think about the situation with haters and like that. Only and only:
"You're copying!!!"
"Don't you have some your own ideas?!"
You know, I just think three dimensional shadows are a bit better.
But I'm really grateful that someone reacted like this on the thread. I was thinking that someone will show up and say: "Such s***!!!" and things like that. That would demoralize me. I used the Khargs in some stories but I gave up on every single one of them, because of lack of planning.

Think about the situation with haters and like that. Only and only:
"You're copying!!!"
"Don't you have some your own ideas?!"
You know, I just think three dimensional shadows are a bit better.
But I'm really grateful that someone reacted like this on the thread. I was thinking that someone will show up and say: "Such s***!!!" and things like that. That would demoralize me. I used the Khargs in some stories but I gave up on every single one of them, because of lack of planning.

I wouldn't recommend trying to write stuff a certain way to avoid haters. No matter what you do, you're going to have those. All the books I love have haters.

Smajdalf

Scribe
But if you don't even try, then you'll see how their numbers are increasing rapidly. I mean, LOTR certainly had less haters than Twilight( I hate it too).

La Volpe

Sage
But if you don't even try, then you'll see how their numbers are increasing rapidly. I mean, LOTR certainly had less haters than Twilight( I hate it too).

To be fair, people don't hate Twilight because vampires have already been done by Bram Stoker in 1897. They hate it because Meyer took a terrifying, demonic, baby-eating creature of the night, and turned it into a glittering pasty perma-teenager.

The Shannara series by Terry Brooks has a LOT of similarities to LoTR (especially The Sword of Shannara). People didn't hate it because of that. I'm sure there were people who pointed out the similarities, but it didn't detract from the book's popularity. I read it, and I enjoyed it.

And in general, there are no new ideas. And flat shadow creatures are not the same as flat chalk creatures. And even if they were, you could still make something original out of that.

Smajdalf

Scribe
Flat shadows are good idea, but think about they can't get to a thing which flies, levitates or just isn't connected to object they are on. I wanted to make them terrifying shadowly beasts which leave only destruction and fear behind them. They should be something like hunting dogs. You almost can't escape them, they can cross gaps and swim. Just to make them feared enemies. Their weakness is strong light. Sunlight works. They are even stronger in darkness, so night is horrible. If they'd be flat, flying creatures would be mostly safe. And imagine a city builded on flying stones. But thanks for reply. Really.

Flat shadows are good idea, but think about they can't get to a thing which flies, levitates or just isn't connected to object they are on. I wanted to make them terrifying shadowly beasts which leave only destruction and fear behind them. They should be something like hunting dogs. You almost can't escape them, they can cross gaps and swim. Just to make them feared enemies. Their weakness is strong light. Sunlight works. They are even stronger in darkness, so night is horrible. If they'd be flat, flying creatures would be mostly safe. And imagine a city builded on flying stones. But thanks for reply. Really.

If they were two-dimensional, I'm not sure how they could harm anyone.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Two-dimensional objects cannot exist in a three dimensional world. At least, not without resorting to hand-wavium. Which is fine, but if you invoke that, then you don't need to worry about explanations much. Just have them do what you want them to do and invent your own limitations. But physics won't be any help.