• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone watching the Olympics?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Netherlands here and I watched a bit of gymnastics, boxing and hockey.

I might sound unpatriotic, buuut I honestly thought the americans were a bit better in the women's gymnastics department. The american team also seemed to be having a lot more fun with eachother, really great to watch.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I am watching the cycling. the Dutch are kicking butt there. Well done to Anna van der Breggen, but my thoughts go out to Annemiek van Vleuten. I was her crash on the TV and it was truly terrible to see. It is a beast [that is a very polite word for it] of a course. Something like 7 big crashes in two days in the same 2km. Hopefully the TT will be a little safer.
And hopefully the Rowing will get going again.
Hey I like my sports where you can sit down to take part...

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
That crash was devastating.

Considering how much we Dutch people cycle on average, it would be quite strange if our team didn't do well. It's a fairly common saying here to say that there are more bikes than people in the Netherlands.

And I will agree on that last point Joe. Nothing wrong with a good sport where you can sit. Scratch that, I will just sit. Forget that sport part.

I am watching the cycling. the Dutch are kicking butt there. Well done to Anna van der Breggen, but my thoughts go out to Annemiek van Vleuten. I was her crash on the TV and it was truly terrible to see. It is a beast [that is a very polite word for it] of a course. Something like 7 big crashes in two days in the same 2km. Hopefully the TT will be a little safer.
And hopefully the Rowing will get going again.
Hey I like my sports where you can sit down to take part...

It was a terrible crash! I changed the channel, couldn't look at it. Poor Annemiek van Vleuten. I hope she gets better sooner!

Russ

Istar
Very pleased to see Canada's women's rugby sevens grab a medal. Also hoping for a women's soccer medal.

Crashing is part of life in cycling. I hear she is doing well.

Swordfry

Troubadour
I really only like watching fencing, archery, javelin and a little bit of the judo and taekwondo. And also the jousting-wait no sorry that would be far too cool to have in the modern world. But really, though, those are the ones that interest me. The ones that would have been very practical for ancient Greek warriors.

I also like the rowing. For cardio at the gym, I mostly get on the rowing machine, along with a little cycling. Good overall body strength training cardio, and low impact on the joints. Ever since I started on the rower, I've taken a little interest in watching professional rowers. It's a little cool, but at the same time, honestly a little boring.

Aspasia

Sage
The 2 Simones (American: Gymnastics and Swimming) have me dancing. SO HAPPY!

Now, if only nighttime coverage would also show us some sports other than gymnastics and swimming that would be great. I want to see fencing!

The 2 Simones (American: Gymnastics and Swimming) have me dancing. SO HAPPY!

Now, if only nighttime coverage would also show us some sports other than gymnastics and swimming that would be great. I want to see fencing!

I want to see fencing too!

Simone Biles is awesome. The women's gymnastics was so much better to watch than the men's...the US men's team is terrible...

Unfortunately, i havent watched in a few days because i don't have tv at home.

Aspasia

Sage
I want to see fencing too!

Simone Biles is awesome. The women's gymnastics was so much better to watch than the men's...the US men's team is terrible...

Unfortunately, i havent watched in a few days because i don't have tv at home.

She ROCKED everything! I love gymnastics, I'm like the least athletic person ever so I'm just mind = blown the entire time.

I can usually only watch in the evening, so I find out what happens from the Internet then see it in the evening! I really hate the time delay for broadcasting--I can see everyone on the East Coast getting all excited but it's a few hours before I'll see what happened on-screen! Argh.

Russ

Istar
Loving the Canadian women's soccer team overachieving.

And would someone mind putting a gag on Hope Solo? What is that embarrassment still doing on the USWNT anyways?

We are getting far more track cycling coverage this year and I am eating it up.

Aspasia

Sage
They're showing the women's 10k open water swimming marathon right now. How crazy is that?! 2 hours swimming in the ocean ...

Synchronized swimming was pretty fun to watch.

I don't have TV at home, so i have to watch whenever i'm at my Mamaw's house. I watched a little of the kayaking and some beach volleyball.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Netherlands won 19 medals in a country of 16 million, USA won 121 medals in a country of 318 million.
Sooo I just have to say that per capita we won.

Bit late,but I had to get that off my chest.

:)

Netherlands won 19 medals in a country of 16 million, USA won 121 medals in a country of 318 million.

I read an article somewhere that the best predictor of medal count is GDP. Besides we beat you in volleyball so...

Reaver

Staff

Of course we won more medals. The U.S. sent 552 athletes while your country sent 237.

Last edited: