• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

50,000 word challenge for March - National Novel Writing month

Mythos

Troubadour
I won NaNoWriMo last year, but I want to try to get something that is more readable this time.

As did I, but aiming for perfection in a rough draft is a quick way to drive yourself crazy, my friend. Once the ideas are down it's a lot easier to polish them up and make them presentable than it is to sit at the keyboard agonizing over something that just won't come out right. Just my 2 cents. Whichever way you choose to do it, good luck.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
aiming for perfection in a rough draft is a quick way to drive yourself crazy

Amen, Donny!

My personal approach is to write a chapter, and then do a very rough edit and move on.

When completing my first book my motto was "write today, revise tomorrow." By tomorrow, of course, I meant several months down the road. This kept me sane.

Mythos

Troubadour
Well I meant I would try to have more thought about what is going to happen next instead of charging into every scene.

Fodwocket

Minstrel
That's the whole point of NaNo, to get you to write, anything at all, rather than worry about it being good. No editing allowed, hehe. You can edit when you have your first draft done.

Kelise

Maester
I've done nothing since my initial 700ish words. I'm recovering from an illness that lasts a few months (Ross River Virus. Don't look it up.) so I just want to sleeeeeep as soon as I get home from work, and any spare moment at work results in just lazing about and drinking way too much water.

So I'm miserably behind, haven't plotted my new novel idea out enough, and wishing I understood males a lot better. On the plus side, I'm organising my trip to London and I bought tickets for my boy and I to go to the Doctor Who Experience, so life is pretty awesome.

Chilari

Staff
London, hey? Cool. I actually went to London yesterday, but then it's not such a difficult journey for me. 3 hours each way by coach rather than 24 hours by plane. Three hours is enough though. Next time I'm taking the train and booking far enough in advance I can actually afford it, and then it'll only take a little over an hour. Doctor Who is epic, though.

Understanding men is, indeed, tricky. They constantly surprise me with the way they think and act. Even my fiance (though not in a bad way), who I have known since I was 5 years old and to whom I have been engaged for nearly 4 years.

Kelise

Maester
I utterly adore London - this'll be my third trip. Train prices can be crazy sometimes - my friend and I were going to go somewhere last time and were going to book two months in advance and prices were say, 12 pounds each. We forgot about it, tried to book with a week to go, and they were then 40 pounds each. Oops >_<; (In Australia, if anything, tickets get cheaper that close to travel lol) But I understand why it happens over there.

Wow. And here I was hoping they would make more sense the longer I was with him. Still, he can get away with it (the terrors of liking someone). You're so lucky though (blessed? Lucky might not be the right word - luck had nothing to do with it, I hear cried sometimes), that must be amazing to have known him for so long :)

As a Nano veteran (4/4 wins), I embrace the Nano philosophy... in November. This month, with this particular novel, I am trying to balance the whole quality vs. quantity thing. So I have about 1000 words written. I like the writing, but it isn't going the way that I envisioned. So do I scrap it and start over, save it in another file (because I do like the writing, he he) and then start over, or just run with it Nano-style? I wrestled with these thoughts yesterday and got no writing done at all. But today is a new day! It's going to be a great day! (I'm going with option #2).

So, all, just remember, it's only March 3rd! Don't give up on the month yet! Go write something... NOW!

*Heads off to take one's own advice...*

Chilari

Staff
Four wins out of four attempts? Impressive. I've got a 2/4 won/tried ratio. This last year I really struggled, but my excuse is that I'm a postgrad student now and as such have a LOT of reading to do, not to mention bigger assignments for which I choose the topic and thus select topics which I am passionate about; and it's really hard to be passionate about, and give due attention to, two or more projects at once (for me at least).

But that won't stop me from working towards the novel this month in the planning stage. None of the assignments I have due in the next few weeks are anything I expect to get really excited about. One of my modules is an undergrad module with an extra assignment for postgrads, so the first essay for that, due March 14th, is set questions to choose from, at an undergrad level. None of the questions are that exciting really, so I doubt I'll spend much time thinking about it when I'm not working on it.

But I've got a LOT of planning to do for the novel before I start writing it. Already, in the last week, the plot has changed a lot and I need to sort out what certain characters I've so far neglected are going to be doing.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Not sure what my word count is, but you guys can check out my blog-o-novel link in my signature if you want to read what I've got so far. It's pretty silly and stupid, so you've been forewarned.

Four wins out of four attempts? Impressive.

Thanks!

I've got a LOT of planning to do for the novel before I start writing it. Already, in the last week, the plot has changed a lot and I need to sort out what certain characters I've so far neglected are going to be doing.

Planning is an essential part of my writing process, too. I try to be flexible and not plan too strictly, but I need to know where I'm going! I started my novel over today, and I like it much better! Happy day.

Fodwocket

Minstrel
Good luck everyone, as LadyPamela said, it's early days yet so we have plenty of time. I'm a little over 2k words in - have only really had time to write since my working week ended, so, yesterday) so I'm behind too, but just the fact that I'm writing makes me happy. Would anyone like to share what they're writing about, new or old project, etc etc?

My project is old (been writing it since I was sixteen, which is... 12 years ago, but have about 10 solid years in there where I didn't write a word on that story). I'll be so very excited when I finally finish it. Have lot's of other projects to work on, but I have promised myself I won't touch them til I finish this.

Anyone still cranking away? I'm having a challenge meeting the challenge! I want to write meaningful prose, so I slow down, and yet if I go too slow, there is no progress! Balance, balance... :)

I decided to take a step back and work on my synopsis today. My novel is complex, with a lot of intertwining pieces, so it really helps to look at the bigger picture. I feel good about working on this instead of prose today. Well, any day that I can work on my book, no matter what part I do, I consider a good day!

Happy writing all!

Chilari

Staff
I might still do the second half of the month after I hand in an assignment on Monday. I'm nearly at the point where I can start writing. Just need to finish off a few things with the plot and get a better feel for the characters.

Fodwocket

Minstrel
I'm slow, but getting there. 10k so far. Good luck to you both, I agree, any writing is good ^_^

are there guidlines to this? I have trouble with multiple websites running at once.. my pc sucks.. I won't get into it. I'd like to play.. could someone message me exactly what the contest is and the rules for it?

Kelise

Maester
There are no rules. You write 50,000 words in a novel in a month, and that's it :) We discussed it on the first or second page.

Ok, so it's clear to me by now that I won't make it to 50k this month. I've been distracted by stuff, not sure where to begin, too picky for word choice, etc. All the stuff that writing for Nano cures us of! But I (finally) have found the right way to tell the story. So I am hopeful to continue in this manner, enjoying the process until I have a draft!

You?

Fodwocket

Minstrel
Nice work ^_^

I'm having a similar problem as I have a shop's worth of stock to make by Supanova (which starts April 1st), so I haven't had much time to write. But I've written about 15k words, and have filled a lot of gaps and gotten past a part of the story that I'd been stuck on for over a year. So even though I won't make it either I'm very happy, and hope to continue my progress.

Good luck to you ^_^