• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

La Volpe

Sage
Im rereading the Harry Potter series, despite all the unread books on my shelf. I really should be starting on Brave New World...or re-reading LOTR (and FINISHING it this time!)

I'll cast in a vote for Brave New World. It's a quick read compared to LoTR, and chillingly prophetic. I highly recommend it.

cydare

Minstrel
I just finished Red Seas Under Red Skies, good book.

I love the Gentleman Bastard series. I just finished re-reading The Republic of Thieves a few days ago.

Currently I'm reading Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear. I looked up her work when I read her and Scott Lynch's engagement announcement. I'm near the start of the novel, but it's good up to now!

Aspasia

Sage
I love the Gentleman Bastard series. I just finished re-reading The Republic of Thieves a few days ago.

Currently I'm reading Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear. I looked up her work when I read her and Scott Lynch's engagement announcement. I'm near the start of the novel, but it's good up to now!

Ooooh I read Karen Memory by her it was excellent! Weird west subgenre, first one of that type I've read. Scott Lynch is one of my favorite authors ever. Gentleman Bastards is such a fun series!

I just finished The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi (romantic YA, usually not my thing but this was SO beautifully written). It was much deeper than I thought it would be ... really takes a turn around halfway point that makes it quite a mature, thoughtful book. I loved how completely immersive it was in South Asian mythology & setting. Currently continuing The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi, which is very creepy to read as a Californian with the endless drought and all. I need something uplifting now ... Star Touched Queen was one of those tragic, poignant books and Water Knife is pretty bleak.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Reading time has been very limited, so I'm going slowly.

Finished up An Accident of Stars, by Foz Meadows. Good book.
Reading The Vorrh, by Brian Catling - also good.
Still making my way through Swann's Way.
Re-read We Have Always Lived in the Castle, by Shirley Jackson. Still brilliant.
Just getting started on The Shadow Line, by Joseph Conrad.
About halfway through Heavy Time, by C.J. Cherryh, who rarely disappoints.
Joe Abercrombie's Half A King is on my to-read stack.

C

Chessie

The Edge Of Fall. I thought it was a historical romance set after WW1. Um, as it turns out, the book is actually a family saga. I'm about halfway into it at this point and not sure if I can continue. On the one hand it's got a good story but on the other, some confusing things are happening. Like, now the main character is pregnant by the man she's in love with...except for that he doesn't reciprocate feelings for her...and he sent her flying...but then kept coming around...and there's no scenes with them doing anything or even showing affection for one another...and nothing definitive was mentioned but I got a sense of maybe there had been something between them in the past but not sure...and from one chapter to the next now she's pregnant and I'm so very confused given that there has been no romantic plotline in a book LABELED AS ROMANCE.

Oh, the frustration. I'd like to leave a review about this but I also don't like giving authors bad reviews. The rest of the story is okay, I guess. Suppose it's not really my genre but clearly it's enchanting in some way if I've made it halfway.

So...maybe it's time to move on to The Firelord's Lover. Totally more my style.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ

Istar
So I finished Adam Gross' "The One Man" yesterday. Yes I know it is only getting released today, but I had an arc.

It was unbelievable. I think this will be his breakout career changing novel. It is a joy to read and his control of craft is amazing. There must be 20 times in the book where he has to write on a razor's edge to get it write and he nails it every time.

If you enjoy thrillers or WWII or just a great read, I really would recommend this book.

mrsmig

Dreamer
Working my way through the Discworld series. I know I don't have to go through it chronologically by publication, but that's what I'm doing. I'm particularly fond of Rincewind, Granny Weatherwax and Sam Vimes. Right now I'm reading The Last Continent.

Almost finished with the Last Mortal Bond, Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, written by Brian Stavely, fantastic book if I might say. Also working with Mistborn, book 2. Another great series and read.

Futhark

Inkling
I'm re-reading some of the Horus Heresy books, published by The Black Library. There are many different authors, sort of like a round table writers group. Technically not fantasy, but definitely epic.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'm re-reading some of the Horus Heresy books, published by The Black Library. There are many different authors, sort of like a round table writers group. Technically not fantasy, but definitely epic.

I like WH40k books. I think they're pretty firmly fantasy, given the setting.