• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Crusader kings and mods.

balybaly2

Acolyte
Has anybody tried this game yet, they recommended it to me and im wondering if i should buy it, reviews say its awesome but its very difficult to get into. Any thoughts?

Khama

Scribe
It is really amazing overall, but if you do get it expect to put a lot of time and effort in. Getting used to how everything works is a major step.

After that it's really a matter of what goal you set for yourself. As it is a very sandboxy game. So like in one of my play throughs I'm doing Svijord (prolly failed at spelling it) and of course I have one of the DLCs to make the Norse faith all amazing.

Well, currently my goal in that game is to settle Great Britain and basically raid the French for profit. After all that? I might move into main land Europe to spread the reformed Norse faith.

So yeah, if you are into a big character focused game that is a great amount about politics and you have the will to sit through and learn you should really do it.

I will say that there are two recent changes to the game that are sort of ehh. Though, I believe the one involving Children Education is from the latest DLC. But THE Other One Is Threat level, which was brought over from EU4 but implemented in a disgusting fashion. In that you could be a Pict Warlord and have a Byzantium Emperor coming after you for land grabs in Ireland. So that part is something that actually limits your the amount of time it takes to expand through war. Of course you can side step this issue through various Mods or just simply opening the console to decrease your threat.

Overall, it's a pretty fun game and I'd suggest you get it if you have the willpower to learn it.

There are also a ton of different mods for the game which are all stellar and add A TON to the game depending on the mod. Three examples that I play are the Game of Thrones mod, Elder Kings (Elder scrolls) mod, and then Gehimnisnacht (Warhammer fantasy) mod which all add, individually so much in terms of mechanics when you play one of them. There are many others too that also just mod select things for the original historic version of CK2. But in those three seperate mods there is enough content that they are on par or exceed the base game in certain areas and there is so much to them that I'd have to go on a very long post for each to scratch the surface.

But yeah. If you get the base game and learn how everything works then I'd highly recommend looking at different mods that range from the basic to total conversions like those three above.

- sent from phone

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
The learning curve is big. But once you get the hang of it, the game is very fun. If you are going to buy it then you should wait till a steam sale, because ck2 often is priced down up to 75%. Also the DLC are kind of a must-have, so get those when it's on sale as well.

The modding scene for ck2 is great as well. Elder Kings, After the End, Game of Thrones, Thedas Kings, Middle Earth Project, The Winter King, Witcher Kings, Avatar Kings and much more are available on the Paradox forum if you have an account.

Ben

Troubadour
Anyone have any recommendations how to learn this game? I'm flailing even just doing the tutorial -- I would make a terrible medieval king!

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Anyone have any recommendations how to learn this game? I'm flailing even just doing the tutorial -- I would make a terrible medieval king!

Start in Ireland, also known as tutorial island nad slowly make your way to forming a kingdom. The most important thing for running a country in CK2 is to keep your vassals happy so they don't rebel. Besides that I would ask people over at paradox plaza.

Reactions: Ben
Start in Ireland, also known as tutorial island nad slowly make your way to forming a kingdom. The most important thing for running a country in CK2 is to keep your vassals happy so they don't rebel. Besides that I would ask people over at paradox plaza.

Last time I played Ireland can be attacked from scotland without ships. Maybe they change it in some of the latest patch , I haven't played recently.

Ragnar

Dreamer
It looks pretty cool. I'll give it a try :) . I like these sorts of games, where resources combine with political decisions and battles are fought with more the just "heroes". Black in the late '80's I used to love the Koei game Genghis Khan. For a SNES game, it was really complex and you had to really think to not get crushed by the computer or other players!

You know, its kind of depressing to see what's popular now. So many games are just bursts of action over and over again. Kind of like movies now are just long action scenes broken by bits of dialog.

Last edited: