• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

handwritten (just curious)

Do any of you hand write your stories, or do you just type it? The way I'm writing my novel is that I'll hand write so many chapters, and then I'll type those chapters on my computer. Anyone else do something like this, or am I the only fool who prefers writing with a pen to a keyboard? :)

Butterfly

Auror
A bit of both, really. I print out, read through marking typos, changes, etc, in red, and keep a notebook to write out longer bits that need rewriting, adding, filling in. I use numbers to point out where they need to go on the print out, then when I find time I make those corrections/alterations on screen. Most of what I type up comes from handwritten work anyway, and for some strange reason, I find it easier to write in red biro... could be red = danger or urgency. It gets things flowing quicker.

Back to the handwritten stuff though, I seem to find it easier to spot where changes need to be made on a hard copy, whereas, they are not always so obvious on a computer screen. It also means I can take my writing to work and do a little revision on it during my lunch break even if I don't have my computer with me I can carry on.

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
After writing my first manuscript in a spiral bound notebook way back when I was a young pup without my computer, I admit I hate handwriting that much now. However, it is good to jot ideas into your book every once in a while, especially if you are nowhere near technology (bits of conversation, what you see in your mind, people who introduce themselves).

Xanados

Maester
The only time I'd ever write on paper is if I wanted to quickly jot an idea down.
I prefer to type at 105wpm on a keyboard.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I often hand write stories, even though I can type fast. It depends on my mood at any given time that I sit down to write. I think the act of moving a pen across the page and the act of typing cause slightly different areas of my brain to be engaged. I'm more likely to hand write if I'm stuck at a point in a story and just want to write without planning, to push past whatever has me stuck and see where the story goes. I'm more likely to type on my computer if I am working from an outline.

Dakkle

Dreamer
I pretty much write everything. Eventually the story itself will be typed up. My short stories are always handwritten, and never seem to get typed up.

Taytortots

Minstrel
I hand write from time to time, depending on if I have a working computer or if I'm no one near my house, things like that.
I would hand write more, but I honestly hate transcribing it on to the computer. I become incredibly bored, skip that part and begin writing what comes next. I always promise I'll go back and type it in, but I don't.

Xanados

Maester
Now that I think about it, I haven't written a story on paper in two years.
It's an absurd idea to write on paper =P

TWErvin2

Auror
I occasionally write a chapter or section by hand in a spiral notebook, when it's more convenient, like when travelling in a car. But for the most part, I type (word process).

I do outline and write plot ideas in a notebook, and then sometimes transfer them to an electronic file by typing.

I personally write the first draft of my work in longhand. Takes a while, but its what works for me, then I will bash it all into the computer at the editing stage. I have to make notes by hand as well, I can't do that on the puter, but I type up loads of character info files.

myrddin173

Maester
I almost always write things out longhand first. Then when I first type it I do the first round of editing at the same time, so the first typed draft is different from the original handwritten. I think I just like the romanticism of ink and paper...

meylaran

Acolyte
I, too, find some romanticism to putting pen to paper. I don't do it all the time, but it definitely helps me through times of being stuck; kind of gets my mind in a different gear to get going again. I also keep a notebook on me at all times to jot ideas and such in. The last manuscript I wrote, I did several entries in my notebook as journal entries of the main character. Helped me get into her head a bit more.

I've tried both, and I find I get better flow with handwriting, though transcribing it into a digital document is a hassle. Just typing it down saves time, but is somehow less stimulating. Not quite sure which method I currently prefer.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
My wife bought me a notepad last week because ever since all of my oid notepads ran out of blank pages, I starting jotting ideas down on scrap paper.

So, apparently, I do quite a bit by hand!

I usually write by hand when I'm out of the house but doing something idle, such as sitting in the waiting area while my daughter is at her ballet class or getting an oil change which turns into something more. (That air filter always looks so filthy when the Jiffy Lube guy is holding it!) Also, a lot of what I do by hand is easier to do without a computer. For example, I sometimes draw a diagram to plan a chapter or short story. For some reason, as long as I know where my characters are at certain points in the story, I can look at the map and figure out how they're supposed to interact without writing a single word.

A bit of both usually works for me too.

I usually do all of the main bits by typing on the computer for example the information of my characters etc. For rough drafts i handwrite, i like the feel of a pen in my hand i guess. Even if it does send my wrist into a cramp after an hour. :S.

Epaminondas

Scribe
Sometimes it's nice to put pen to paper. I don't do it often anymore just because it's so much easier to edit on the computer.
Still every now and then I like to just get away to right, down at the lake or the woods where I grew up. Sometimes ideas break loose for me better that way.
There is also the added benefit of not losing your hard work to CPU crashes or a random power outage but...