• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How long do your inspiration "droughts" last?

I can be very productive for a span of a few days (1,500+ words per day, sometimes hitting 2,000 or more), but writing a bunch every. single. day. will *induce* those periods of uninspired exhaustion where I hate my writing.

I've always done it like this: write lots a few days, spend a while at a leisurely pace, take a few off, write lots a few days, spend a while at a leisurely pace, take a few off. I need breaks infrequently, but I do need them. Trying to write a moderate amount every day would get tedious. The binge sessions in which I do 2,500-3,000+ words in a day are necessary too...quite exhilarating, gives you so much motivation and excitement.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Not the binge I'm referring to. I basically do something like what you do. When I'm writing, not editing, I want 1k per day average. That's not hard at all. I'll hit 3000 or 0 some days, but average 1k per day, probably a bit more, while also doing early edit passes. If life allowed, I'd be able to do 2k per day pretty easy, I think. The binge writing I'm talking about isn't like a hard night of drinking, it's like going on a two month bender, LOL. There are writers who won't write (yeah, they're thinking, plotting, planning, editing, whatever when not "writing"... but not necessarily all that much, when some take breaks their brains go to Tahiti) but when they write they go full on hermit and crank out the novel in 60 days, maybe more, maybe less... then they return to the real world, a little jittery from all the coffee and their fingers stained by tobacco, but with ms in hand, LOL. An exaggeration... sort of, but that's the extreme I'm referring to with binge writers. They then spend the rest of the year dealing with their agents, publishers, family life, etc.

I can be very productive for a span of a few days (1,500+ words per day, sometimes hitting 2,000 or more), but writing a bunch every. single. day. will *induce* those periods of uninspired exhaustion where I hate my writing.

I've always done it like this: write lots a few days, spend a while at a leisurely pace, take a few off, write lots a few days, spend a while at a leisurely pace, take a few off. I need breaks infrequently, but I do need them. Trying to write a moderate amount every day would get tedious. The binge sessions in which I do 2,500-3,000+ words in a day are necessary too...quite exhilarating, gives you so much motivation and excitement.

C

Chessie

Trying to write a moderate amount every day would get tedious. The binge sessions in which I do 2,500-3,000+ words in a day are necessary too...quite exhilarating, gives you so much motivation and excitement.
Well, when there are deadlines to be met and readers waiting on books, then writing daily is a must. There's no time for inspiration or a breather in between pumping new words and editing already written ones. It's also good to be on a consistent writing schedule as a professional habit (for those considering a career in words). But really, it's what works best for everyone. No one writer creates the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Addison

Auror
When it comes to inspiration I'm good. In my crazy family and my own head/imagination I have inspiration 24/7/365. What I've been lacking the last few....a while, is motivation. I am just burnt out. I've tried everything. Changing location, writing tools, hobbies, genres, EVERYTHING! It's like trying to start a weed-whacker; press the stupid bubble thing ten times, squeeze the handle, yank the chord, but all you get is the wind-up but no start. Anyone a mechanic? Or know a good one? Cause I have fuel, no parts missing but the stupid motor won't turn over.

Loric

Dreamer
I don't really get them, personally. I always have a well of energy to draw on when I want to write. But then again, that is not to say that my work is any good, either.

SeverinR

Vala
Almost Two years.
MY bad year, I lost all motivation for being creative. Not just writing but my other arts, my photography. It all was gone.
I am starting to get it back.

My bad year, my cousin's husband died, then her mother my favorite Aunt, and lastly my Dad. Then both my daughters got married and one moved to Washington with her Navy husband.

The bad year was followed by the Good year, both daughters had babies and the Navy husband got out of the Navy and moved back to the area. I think the turmoil of the good year probably added to the distraction of creativity.

To anyone that has an emotional roller coaster, don't force it. Just do little things until you feel inspired again. Forcing it will make it more like work, which will make it even less appealing. Of course, keep reading for fun and the bug will bite again, because even though the writers are good, doesn't mean they can write an idea like you have.

To those that might be having a creative problem, maybe your trying to hard? Maybe your not seeing the turmoil that might be obstructing your creative side. Even for minor issues, don't force it. Just read what you like, come to the forums to see others inspiration and encouragement. Maybe the concentration of a large work in progress is to much. Maybe a little research or maybe even just creating a city or castle to write a future story will get you back in the mood.

Don't worry, it will come back if you don't give up.

Every time I finish a novel, I usually need at least a month or two off just to find inspiration again. Creativity is a like a roller coaster for me. I'll write non-stop for weeks or months at a time, drop off to nothing, and then start building again.

I can usually overcome a bad day of writing by going back to the stuff I wasn't crazy about and doing some heavy editing. Sometimes it's not that the writing was bad, but that my perception of it was bad. Other times, I just wasn't writing interesting prose, and I need to spice it up. Once in a while I just highlight a huge block of text and delete it. In most cases, I can work past this and get back into the flow.