• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The world known as Noches.

Froboy69

Dreamer
So coming up with the world of Noches from my story Rey de Noches, I wanted to go the extra mile and try to make it as epic fantasy as possible.

I got the idea when I was watching the Avatar series and the Lord of the Rings series. Obviously, Avatar and LOTR gain inspiration from Asian and European cultures respectively. After giving it some thought, it hit me: why is there nothing that is focused on the latin american cultures?

Time

Obviously the world that exists without a sun is often questioned: how does time work where no sun exists? Well there are two version of night known as 'Night' and 'True Night'.

A passage from the Prologue of the story itself:

Ruiz thought about the correct order that was needed for him to properly explain. “There are sixty seconds in a minute, sixty minutes in an hour, thirteen hours for Night and thirteen hours for True Night. Thus making a total of twenty-six hours in a ‘whole night’. Every hour, natural water in the world changes color in a certain order. Thus, we tend to keep water in glass containers reflecting ‘real time’. We’re able to tell minutes by sensing the cycle in water with basic magic. How we view it varies from living being to living being.
“For an entire moon cycle, The Moon carries a colored ‘shadow hue’, which lasts for twenty-five Nights, and will convert into a different color afterwards. There is a total of fourteen cycles that make up a ‘blue cycle’. Thus, a complete blue moon is considered as the mark for an entire year. The Moon becomes completely blue in this process instead of just its hue, and this will not occur again until fourteen cycles later.” Ruiz sighed heavily after finishing the long explanation.

Countries

Noches, spanish for 'Night', is a world that is comprised of six nations inspired by real world historical nations and empires:

Hispania - Obviously the Roman name for the Iberian Peninsula which was a respective province of theirs. Unlike in the real world where Spain/Portugal did not get to keep these territories, Hispania managed to keep a huge chunk of land that is next to Esmeraldsia. Their origins from their old world (basically whatever version of 'Europe') is vague many and for good reason...

Gran Esmeraldsia - The name inspired by Emerald, it a nod to the riches and valued 'treasures' that the territory holds. Inspired by the historical union known as Gran Colombia, it has an influence of modern Colombia, Venezuela, Educador, and Panama; the nations which were known to make up the confederation. Costa Rican culture is shown which bridges Esmeraldsia to the Anahuac Union.

Anahuac Union - Anahuac Union is inspired from the 'Valley of Mexico' and 'Anahuac' is the ancient (Aztec) name of the Valley of Mexico itself. I felt that this was a good name considering that the 'land' itself is surrounded by mountains and volcanoes, and was a centre for several pre-Columbian civilizations, including Teotihuacan, the Toltec, and the Aztec. The ancient Aztec term Anahuac (Land Between the Waters) and the phrase Basin of Mexico are both used at times to refer to the Valley of Mexico today. The Basin of Mexico became a well known site that epitomized the scene of early Classic Mesoamerican cultural development as well. Hence another reason to choose this name. It has a influence of Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica which the latter as I mentioned before, has an ethic culture that bridges the Union with Esmeraldsia.

Inca Union - If you're savvy with pre-Columbian history, this is from a great empire known as the Incan Empire (and the Inka Empire), known as the largest empire in pre-Columbian America, and argued as the largest empire in the world in the early 16th century. Historically, it had reached as far as Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru, although Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Ecuador have the closest post-Spanish intervention heritage ties to this nation. As you would expect, this connects to Esmeraldsia and the country listed below.

Republic of Argentum - Argentum from the latin word 'silver', this nation has a strong tie to Hispania; like the modern Argentina and Uruguay who have a very close cultural history together. In fact, it's commonly joked that they get confused quite often for the other. With a strong European heritage, they are often confused for Hispanians despite having an Indigenous population as well.

Republic of Caribilia - Basically consisting of today's latin american countries in the Caribbean, it has a vague history; there are many mysteries due to the legend that the collection of islands was relocated via magic. A feat that is naturally argued and questioned even to this day- NIGHT. So you can expect certain cultural references from latin american countries in the Caribbean like Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Hati, etc. I am purposely being vague about this region for the sake of story telling~

Now there are certain cultures/countries like Brazil and Paraguay not referenced but there's a reason for that as they ARE within the world of Noches but in a different way. You'll have to read to learn more~

Races

All living things use magic. This is natural because magic is what this world uses commonly as a natural resource; be for powering up technology, or using it within their bodies where they have both a circulatory system for blood and a similar system but for magic. Thus, where a normal human heart would be on the left chest, they also carry a magical heart on the right chest. And of course, this applies to other races or creatures with their own system. The main usage of magic in their bodies is for controlling body temperature; no sun = freezing your ass off...

Humans - Do I really need to explain? Aside from the magic system that we all carry, it's not uncommon for eye color and hair color to be influence by magic; one could have dark green hair and orange eyes just because...

Scales - Once known to be giant underground reptiles, this intelligent species were well-respect in ancient times to that of dragons in mythology; although wingless. That being said, at one point in their history, Scales realized that their large bodies made it difficult to maintain magic which forced them to stay as deep underground as possible where raw sources of magic existed. Thus, they eventually learned to adapt their body structure to that of a human and are quite social. A running gag is while they are naturally cold blooded, they enjoy alcoholic drinks to 'warm' themselves despite that being a common real-world myth. Yet it works for them somehow... That being said, they're generally common like humans.

Lunarians - One who comes from the moon itself, Lunarians look exactly human, save for their white hair and white colored eyes. While rare, they are seemingly kind and social despite their influence on making others uncomfortable. Due to the fact that every non-Lunarian holds extreme sensitivity to their own magic. They are often seen as the children of Luna herself.

Brazuka - Unique, their hair is fire itself but does not burn. Sharp teeth and non-human skin color, they are barely different from humans and are found everywhere across Noches.

Imperdonables - I don't want to spoil much but basically these are the race that does NOT benefit from magic as a neccessary; when they breathe, they release something that unbalances magic itself to the point where it can destroy it. However, they are considerate enough that they invented masks that naturally filters out this toxic to magic. Often discriminated, they hold a strong belief that all living things have become too reliant on magic itself. Ironically, they are commonly the strongest users of magic itself.

Importance of Magic

Magic itself is an important aspect in this world. Because of way how life is, Magic has always been there like oxygen. It influenced many possibilities with science and religion. Its raw properties is hot and dangerous; think of lava in a way. Because it comes in different forms, magic can either help or harm you depending on how it's presented before you. Hell it's a natural light source where plant life 'glows'. Hell using magic as various possibilities, giving it many forms via various mediums.

Magic is used via the language which is commonly Spanish. Although the main character begins to learn that the parent language Latin has other languages (French, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, etc.) that is used in Noches. But for the sake of keeping things simple, Spanish in this world is reference as 'magic' and the main language used for magic.

I thought at first this would be 'cheap' to always use magic as the explanation, but it's more than that; it brings an argument of how much life can be different if you add something that is a game changer. In fact, the main character does begin to question if magic is really a benefit or even a weakness.

This series of the 'Legacy Cycle' has many things already written/planned. And I hope that you'll get into this~

Last edited:

Vaporo

Inkling
If there's no sun, then how does anyone grow food? And how does the moon glow without the sun shining on it?

You say that everything uses magic to control its body temperature. To what degree does this occur? You mentioned keeping warm only in passing, so it sounds like you're saying that everyone stays warm all the time no matter what. If that's true, then I think that you're negating the point of a world with no sun. You've set up this (presumably) arctic world, then you've gone and pulled the thing that seems like it should completely define your world (the struggle to keep warm) out from under it.

Plus, I think that everyone walking around in the snow wearing swimsuits would challenge my suspension of disbelief a bit. That's just me, though.

A lot of the cultures you say you've based your world on are tropical sun-worshippers. How are you going to transplant them into an arctic world with no sun? If you modify them to the point where they make sense in this kind of world, I think that they will identify closer with the Inuits than anyone from Central or South America. One of your cultures is island-based. If your world is arctic enough that everyone needs magic to stay warm, then wouldn't the oceans will be frozen over?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
It doesn't seem to be an artic world. It seems to be a night world instead.

But without a sun to provide heat and light for sustaining life, it would be an arctic world, unless there is some alternate means of heating it enough so plants and animals can survive.

Vaporo

Inkling
It doesn't seem to be an artic world. It seems to be a night world instead.

He says that the main use of magic is regulating body temperature against the cold, though:

The main usage of magic in their bodies is for controlling body temperature; no sun = freezing your ass off...

And you're right, it does seem to be set up only as a night world. At the same time, though, he says that it's cold enough that people need magical body temperature control. That should have a big effect somewhere, but he doesn't make any mention of it longer than a single sentence of world building.

Last edited:
This sounds really interesting. I love the foundational ideas.

The main question is, how do they grow food without the sun? Seems like magic would have to be involved. Your food chain would be based ultimately on magic rather than light.

If there's no sun, then how does anyone grow food? And how does the moon glow without the sun shining on it?

You say that everything uses magic to control its body temperature. To what degree does this occur? You mentioned keeping warm only in passing, so it sounds like you're saying that everyone stays warm all the time no matter what. If that's true, then I think that you're negating the point of a world with no sun. You've set up this (presumably) arctic world, then you've gone and pulled the thing that seems like it should completely define your world (the struggle to keep warm) out from under it.

Plus, I think that everyone walking around in the snow wearing swimsuits would challenge my suspension of disbelief a bit. That's just me, though.

A lot of the cultures you say you've based your world on are tropical sun-worshippers. How are you going to transplant them into an arctic world with no sun? If you modify them to the point where they make sense in this kind of world, I think that they will identify closer with the Inuits than anyone from Central or South America. One of your cultures is island-based. If your world is arctic enough that everyone needs magic to stay warm, then wouldn't the oceans will be frozen over?

The struggle to keep warm would be only one of the struggles in such a world.

One would be the need for food. How do you grow food without light? Also, you could center something around the need for light. It seems like magic would be needed for all of these things.

But, it's fantasy, so there are few limits. The sun-worshipping cultures can be moon-worshipping instead. or light-worshipping.

The moon glowing without a sun is a real problem.

Froboy69

Dreamer

Magic exists in water and comes in many forms such as that to lava; the magic creates natural heat that varies in many sizes across the world. Hell because environments are naturally affected by magic, this can a place either really hot or warm. But like anyone in the real world, you wear clothing based on how comfortable you are and/or- within this world- how much trouble you want to go through with controlling your body temperature. Hence I felt that making magic 'too broken' wasn't right and that there was a reason why they all wear different clothing.

Because of magic in raw form, it keeps the world warm enough to where it's not frozen. Hell if there was a sun, this world WOULD burn up...

Froboy69

Dreamer
The struggle to keep warm would be only one of the struggles in such a world.

One would be the need for food. How do you grow food without light? Also, you could center something around the need for light. It seems like magic would be needed for all of these things.

But, it's fantasy, so there are few limits. The sun-worshipping cultures can be moon-worshipping instead. or light-worshipping.

The moon glowing without a sun is a real problem.

Well like I said, magic plays a factor. Because ALL living things have adapted magic, this has naturally existed with plant life; magic in a certain form provides nutrition- (hell certain forms are popular with cuisines)- and has benefits. Enough exposure to magic can be similar to sun radiation where one can have healthy vitamin D. Same with how it creates light; even if magic did not produce heat in this world, chemical reactions can produce 'light' even without heat. Example is how fireflies can make light on their bodies without heat.

Since this world has...well I'll say it although I don't want 'sci-fi' to be the main focus but, evolved and adapted to magic because it's always been there for usage. All living things rely on magic as much as oxygen. But at least when it comes to growing and keeping temperatures to certain degrees.

Last edited:

jm.milks

Scribe
I personally don't like the usage of magic as an end all solution to the fact that complex life wouldn't of formed on its own under these conditions.

Maybe there was one a sun, maybe the world is heated by geothermal energy, ect. Maybe the races developed from work from a higher class species.

I know, fantasy, but a huge part of fantasy for me is 'what if this could, or has happened?' and with what I read, the whole 'everything is dark and there's no way complex life would ever inhabit this world, but it's OK cuz magic' thing really ruins it for me.

I'm sorry, but this setting as is, just isn't my cup of tea. It doesn't sound like there's a whole lot of thought put into it and that you're just playing around with different ideas for the sake of being different, and not for the sake of creating a beautiful work of art.

Queshire

Auror
Seriously guys? I honestly doubt any of you would have reacted this way if he just went "it's a night world 'cuz fa~~~ntasy~" Saying it is because of magic seems like just a token excuse to satisfy people that bring up just the sort of objections that you' ve brought up.

It has a strong core image; a "night world" and "inspired by spanish culture." That's enough for me. It's a bad trend in writing to think that everything in fantasy needs some sort of pseudo-scientific explanation.

Froboy69

Dreamer
Very close-minded of you with the exception that you're allowing your imagination to actually take hold and with your statement:

Maybe there was one a sun, maybe the world is heated by geothermal energy, ect. Maybe the races developed from work from a higher class species.

^ I like this because you're making theories and actually opening your mind.

I personally don't like the usage of magic as an end all solution to the fact that complex life wouldn't of formed on its own under these conditions.

And why "wouldn't" it? As I've said beforehand, magic is available in certain forms which benefits all living things with particular nutrition/radiation to that of the sun. Why do you think all living things with a circulatory system in this world also have a similar system but for magic? Because they've evolved with it and have relied on it. No matter did I say that magic solved every issue, otherwise there wouldn't be a purpose to the story itself wouldn't there?

Like with any fantasy world, there are always rules and conditions with magic, same in Noches. Only magic is mainstream in this world because people HAVE to use it.

I know, fantasy, but a huge part of fantasy for me is 'what if this could, or has happened?' and with what I read, the whole 'everything is dark and there's no way complex life would ever inhabit this world, but it's OK cuz magic' thing really ruins it for me.

Everything is "dark"? What part of "Hell it's a natural light source where plant life 'glows'." did you not understand? Also, "using magic as various possibilities, giving it many forms via various mediums."does not strike you at all? Do I have to help you consider and be direct about how this natural resource can be used? Trains? Lamps? Street Lights?

"No way life could ever inhabit this world", why? There's heat thanks to magic in raw form, plant life feeds on magic in other forms because of the nutrition value that I've said beforehand, which can also benefit organic life.

I'm sorry, but this setting as is, just isn't my cup of tea. It doesn't sound like there's a whole lot of thought put into it and that you're just playing around with different ideas for the sake of being different, and not for the sake of creating a beautiful work of art.

ROFL! Seriously? You're making assumptions and not giving the benefit of the doubt? For one who enjoys fantasy, a genre that often breaks the rules of the reality that we know and presents it in a different matter, you're overthinking this despite the explanations that I've given.

You seriously think that you're the first to question how this world works? I've had this going on since 2007 and of course I've had to come up with ways for this world to work up to this point in time. I've obviously have place thought and effort into this with the time that I've had because I had to.

Seems to me that you don't want to give it a try nor do you want to view magic as the valuable resource that all living things have used for as long as they could remember. Hell you're not even taking the time to read what I've written first-hand nor answered questions first asked here. I can easily answer any concerning question that you have without issue, but don't insult me by pretending that you yourself have gotten everything you needed from me to make a final view-point over this world. I contradicted you by relying on what I wrote first-hand.

But if you want to question it and not keep an open-mind, that's your issue.

Froboy69

Dreamer
Seriously guys? I honestly doubt any of you would have reacted this way if he just went "it's a night world 'cuz fa~~~ntasy~" Saying it is because of magic seems like just a token excuse to satisfy people that bring up just the sort of objections that you' ve brought up.

It has a strong core image; a "night world" and "inspired by spanish culture." That's enough for me. It's a bad trend in writing to think that everything in fantasy needs some sort of pseudo-scientific explanation.

If they want to be close-minded, that's their thing. By all means I understand if this story isn't for everyone, but I EXPECT better reasoning than people ignoring what I wrote to help them understand this world...

jm.milks

Scribe
Very close-minded of you with the exception that you're allowing your imagination to actually take hold and with your statement:

^ I like this because you're making theories and actually opening your mind.

And why "wouldn't" it? As I've said beforehand, magic is available in certain forms which benefits all living things with particular nutrition/radiation to that of the sun. Why do you think all living things with a circulatory system in this world also have a similar system but for magic? Because they've evolved with it and have relied on it. No matter did I say that magic solved every issue, otherwise there wouldn't be a purpose to the story itself wouldn't there?

Like with any fantasy world, there are always rules and conditions with magic, same in Noches. Only magic is mainstream in this world because people HAVE to use it.

Everything is "dark"? What part of "Hell it's a natural light source where plant life 'glows'." did you not understand? Also, "using magic as various possibilities, giving it many forms via various mediums."does not strike you at all? Do I have to help you consider and be direct about how this natural resource can be used? Trains? Lamps? Street Lights?

"No way life could ever inhabit this world", why? There's heat thanks to magic in raw form, plant life feeds on magic in other forms because of the nutrition value that I've said beforehand, which can also benefit organic life.

ROFL! Seriously? You're making assumptions and not giving the benefit of the doubt? For one who enjoys fantasy, a genre that often breaks the rules of the reality that we know and presents it in a different matter, you're overthinking this despite the explanations that I've given.

You seriously think that you're the first to question how this world works? I've had this going on since 2007 and of course I've had to come up with ways for this world to work up to this point in time. I've obviously have place thought and effort into this with the time that I've had because I had to.

Seems to me that you don't want to give it a try nor do you want to view magic as the valuable resource that all living things have used for as long as they could remember. Hell you're not even taking the time to read what I've written first-hand nor answered questions first asked here. I can easily answer any concerning question that you have without issue, but don't insult me by pretending that you yourself have gotten everything you needed from me to make a final view-point over this world. I contradicted you by relying on what I wrote first-hand.

But if you want to question it and not keep an open-mind, that's your issue.

I do not like this response, particularly because instead of creating something constructive from what I've said, you've spent the whole post on justifying, making assumptions, and trying to make attacks on me as a person, and not my views themselves.

I'm going to reiterate one last time in the simplest fashion

It's the magic

It, again, sounds like you're using magic as an explanation for everything. Imagination would be along the lines of coming up with a new resource, giving it explanation, and then thinking of how this affects the people who use it, and how they do.

What I DONT like is that i was presented a night world with cultures based on sun worshippers and the solution to there being no mass state of fusion anywhere near the world to keep it from slowly drifting down to -400 f is *poof* magic.

The proteins that define carbon based life were synthesized in temperatures closer to 400 degrees ABOVE zero, so did life start by *poof* magic?

I'm sorry if I offended you by stating that I do not enjoy people explaining everything with *magic* and giving the reason why that is. Don't waste your time by assuming I'm close minded because that aspect of your world spoils it for me, though. If you want to make it more appealing, develop a real system, not *poof* magic.

Edit: I've given my reasoning, twice now. Please try to understand instead of assuming I'm some lesser form of human race because i'd rather offer you the chance to see my viewpoint. I enjoy fantasy not because it's different from our world, I enjoy fantasy because I can immerse myself in something believable, and everytime you fix a problem by making it disappear, you take that from the reader.

Last edited:

Froboy69

Dreamer
I do not like this response, particularly because instead of creating something constructive from what I've said, you've spent the whole post on justifying, making assumptions, and trying to make attacks on me as a person, and not my views themselves.

Because you argued things vaguely without showing acknowledgement of my previous explanation; you gave the impression that you didn't read what I wrote and did not give specific reasoning that I would easily contradicted. However reading what you're saying makes me understand where your coming from and I do enjoy details.

I 'm going to reiterate one last time in the simplest fashion

It's the magic

It, again, sounds like you're using magic as an explanation for everything. Imagination would be along the lines of coming up with a new resource, giving it explanation, and then thinking of how this affects the people who use it, and how they do.

What I DONT like is that i was presented a night world with cultures based on sun worshippers and the solution to there being no mass state of fusion anywhere near the world to keep it from slowly drifting down to -400 f is *poof* magic.

That's more specific and I prefer this question. With this, it's reasonable because I gave no explanation. More on this in a little bit.

The proteins that define carbon based life were synthesized in temperatures closer to 400 degrees ABOVE zero, so did life start by *poof* magic?

Now that you're more specific, I can understand what your concern is. I do apologize but I was given a different impression. But I am legitimately happy to hear the exact things that are bothering you.

Now obviously it's pretty common for people to question that logic given that this is suppose to be a fantasy world that goes against reality. And yet, science has to play a part because I felt the need to add a little of it. If you had to view this from a scientific point, what do you think magic would be? No mumble jumbo, but something that can be explained? What is magic if you had to break it down bit by bit, and what makes it relate to its other forms? This Lava-like substance that exists deep underground, or how it's found in the air that they breathe, or how it affects water to the point where it changes color? Why is it that magic is naturally hot and can be used by these living things? Is it natural? is it artificial?

I am not going to lie, I actually want people to make assumptions of how this world works; I want them to continue making theories be it from a scientific matter or something else (maybe divine or whatever they feel comfortable with).

After all, this world inspired by real world cultures seems odd doesn't it? Yes, sun worshipers existed, yet this world relies on the moon for religion and believe that the stars are other moons (this last part went without saying, but I honestly felt that it was something that should be brought up during the story or outside where people ask), leading one to imagine. Within the story, religion surrounding the moon goddess herself always credits her for creation of life. This is naturally expected in religion, although a lot of mysteries also surround her and Noches itself.

I know that's completely vague but there's only so much that I actually want to give out without spoiling the future plans for this series. This is the point where I can admit that I won't give every single answer to what my plans are indefinitely for the complete explanation of what magic "really is", as my mind can change in the years to come. I could have kept this purely fantasy but I thought that it would be exciting to add a bit of sci-fi to it, just to make people wonder. Especially since we have the tendency not to question it if it doesn't go too overboard.

I'm sorry if I offended you by stating that I do not enjoy people explaining everything with *magic* and giving the reason why that is. Don't waste your time by assuming I'm close minded because that aspect of your world spoils it for me, though. If you want to make it more appealing, develop a real system, not *poof* magic.

Edit: I've given my reasoning, twice now. Please try to understand instead of assuming I'm some lesser form of human race because i'd rather offer you the chance to see my viewpoint. I enjoy fantasy not because it's different from our world, I enjoy fantasy because I can immerse myself in something believable, and everytime you fix a problem by making it disappear, you take that from the reader.

Understandable. Again, I assure you that there's more to this world than what I wrote. I apologize because I thought that you were ignoring what I was saying, but I now understand what the specific issues are that bothers you.

While I don't particularly want this to be part sci-fi, it will be inevitably drag into it for 'scientific' accuracy. It's theorized that rouge planets without a sun can exist but the issue was always heat whenever you needed to support life. In fact, thick layers of water in certain rogue planets could support marine life but deep under thick layers of ice. Hell we have one form of life that can exist in space but I am not going to say that I have all the answers because we humans don't at this point in time. I won't tell you if I've decided what magic in this world is "exactly", but when the time comes and I see it as appropriate, I will decide/reveal what magic is.

Again, I rather keep this pure fantasy but not become close-minded and ignore how people will challenge it from a scientific point. I only ask is that you do not worry so much on the details that occur in the background but if you must, theorize it by all means. Just give it a chance and explore possibilities.

I respect your view on wanting to see how a fantasy world can work, and I do appreciate your more-detailed explanation.

Vaporo

Inkling
I think that I should mention Brandon Sanderson's first law of magic:

"An author’s ability to solve conflict with magic is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to how well the reader understands said magic."

It's all about learning how to play with peoples' suspension of disbelief. I have no problem accepting a world where it is always night, just as long as you don't make me think about it too much. However, the moment that you say "Magic is regulates the world's temperature," you open up a whole new can of worms. Where does the magic come from? Why does it regulate the temperature of the world? How does the magic work? Why does the moon glow with no sun?
Do you get my point? You need to make sure that to give your readers at least an indication that you aren't just lazily writing up solutions as you go along.