• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I finished my dissertation on fantasy!

AngelaRCox

Dreamer
Hey, Mythic Scribes! It's been a while because I've been working so hard on my research I haven't had much time for social stuff, but I FINISHED IT! (literally last night) And YOU ALL HELPED ME!

I can't tell you how grateful I am that you guys literally let me lurk for a year and just read all your stuff (well, all the stuff that was relevant to the research and not too personal). And here we are two years later, and the dissertation is being reviewed as I type this by my committee. I defend on November 22!

I want to tell you some of the cool things you guys helped me discover about genre.

• I defined genre as a transmedial, mutable, associative, recognized system. There's a lot of really labyrinthine theory behind that, but it's also based on watching how you guys talk about fantasy and, I hope, describes your (our) processes fairly.
    I'm calling it the "genre space model" because I argue that genre functions like a game. If you're familiar with Huizinga's concept of the "magic circle," it's based on that--the notion that everyone knows that there are different rules in the game space and follows them.
    There's a thing at the core of each genre that I'm calling the "generative tension." This is a pair of paradoxical ideologically opposed values that makes the genre work by driving change and generating new texts and criticism. In Fantasy, it's a tension between escapism and a desire to make stuff allegorically parallel to the real world, which obviously don't work together logically but work together great in fantasy.

Also I've got some really cool charts.

These are the most commonly attributed authors/texts/etc. It's pretty unsurprising to me, but Star Wars? That intrigues me. (keep in mind this data was collected 2 years ago)
s!AqnOBmH7e8Pxt3Yx3cg0imaTNBOA

These are the most commonly mentioned conventions or "tropes":
s!AqnOBmH7e8Pxt3DxnPtrb8S8mq9F

These are the most commonly expressed values, which is where I'm getting that "generative tensions" thing from (in combination with explicit definitions of fantasy). It's a really interesting chart:
s!AqnOBmH7e8Pxt3H6HKjfT0UBFRTj

I've got some other charts and data that I can offer if requested, but most of it takes a little more explanation of the method to make sense, so that will do for now.

Again, I love you guys. There was one other community involved in the study, but it was reading the Mythic Scribes posts that really got me motivated, and you guys made me smile almost every time I sat down to work on it, even when it seemed like awful work. You're a great community!

Reaver

Staff
Congratulations Angela! I wish you nothing but great success in all your endeavors. I'm very happy that the great things posted here by our amazing members has helped you so much.

Rest assured that we love you too as well as all of our members. It's an honor to have you as a member of our growing community! I hope that now that you've made this post, we can look forward to seeing more of you around here.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
This is really cool. Best of luck with the review and the defence. Will it be published somewhere online for us to read once it's done? :)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Congratulations on finishing. That's a really big deal. The defense will be a cakewalk.

Your post sounded like there were supposed to be some images. I'd love to see the charts.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Congratulations on finishing. That's a really big deal. The defense will be a cakewalk.

Your post sounded like there were supposed to be some images. I'd love to see the charts.

If you right-click on- and open picture in new tab you can see the pictures.
Not ideal, but it works.

Also congratulations!

Gryphos

Auror
This kind of stuff fascinates me, and I'm thrilled to have been, in even a small way, a part of your study. I hope the defence goes well.

AngelaRCox

Dreamer
Thank you for the support guys.
Yeah, the images didn't work as well as I'd hoped, but I need to post more to use the gallery (working on it! Been reading around, getting my bearings back). But they do open with a double or right click. I'll fix it soon.
As for publishing, all dissertations at my institution are made available via ProQuest, although I don't know what the delay is. The final version will be turned in on or before December 9th.
However, now that I've got this incredible corpus of data, I intend to use it for other academic writing too, or to cannibalize the dissertation for publications (which is common practice). But academic writing is a slow process, and publishing even more so.
And, more importantly, now I can get back to writing fiction! :)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
If you want the photos to pop up in the posts, you can use a site like photo bucket (that's the one I use). Upload the photo into a Photobucket folder, and then copy the image link, and then on MS, on your post, if you go "advanced" you can "insert image" and you put in that image url, and the image will come up right in the post. Like this...

spider.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
That's awesome! I was wondering how it was going to come out. Please do let us read it, even if it's boring academic stuff, because some of us will be into it.

:wavespin:

If you want the photos to pop up in the posts, you can use a site like photo bucket (that's the one I use). Upload the photo into a Photobucket folder, and then copy the image link, and then on MS, on your post, if you go "advanced" you can "insert image" and you put in that image url, and the image will come up right in the post. Like this...

spider.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's a really big spider.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
yay! Glad you got the graphics to work. of course, I checked them out already. Interesting! I love the things you worked up as categories. You did a great job.

And yes, it was a big spider. I usually just leave them in the house...but that bad girl had to leave and go keep my sunflowers company, because it was too big to stay. I had to find a common item to use as a reference, because I didn't think my mo would believe how big it was, HA! I upset someone by posting that photo one time, so sorry I grabbed a random photo for my example, but it was readily available. :)

I love spiders. I don't understand why people kill them, unless they are the dangerous kind.

Same with the smaller non-poisonous snake species that help keep pests under control.

I was running through a field of grass once as a kid. A flash of blue caught my eye. A blue racer was pacing me! It was so cool.