• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

C

Chessie

Well, the stack of books I last posted about were not all too memorable. Except for Sizzling Outlines. I gave that one a 5 star + review...and I rarely do those. Do need to remember them.

I'm halfway through The Sorcerer's Concubine and read 5 chapters just last night. It's about an enchanted doll and it's quite possibly one of the best fantasy books I've read in ages. Some parts of it are too graphic for my comfort level but what did I expect with a title like that? It's also narrated in omniscient, which is so nice for a change. The author's voice is gentle and doll-like, which matches the vibe of the book really well. It's a lovely masterpiece. Plus there's talk of a dragon so my interest is piqued.

Next on the queue is The Princess Bride, which I've actually never read (watched the movie more times than I can count) so I'm looking forward to it. :)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Reading True Grit and really enjoying the narrator's voice in that one. I don't normally read Westerns, but this one is unique.

Also reading A Prayer for Owen Meany. Less compelling but it does have a good opening. Then things get awfully talky.

Right now I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird.

It's a funny thought, that the author has passed on, but I can still open her book and hear her tell me a story. She's dead but her words still live. That seemed to occur to me so suddenly last night.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Right now I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird.

It's a funny thought, that the author has passed on, but I can still open her book and hear her tell me a story. She's dead but her words still live. That seemed to occur to me so suddenly last night.

You might take a look at Ray Bradbury's short story, The Exiles. I think it appears in S is for Space. Anyway, it very much speaks to the survival of authors via their books. Bradbury was a science fiction writer, but his stories always felt to me like fantasy. Strong emotional content.

C

Chessie

Moving on to The Sorcerer's Wife. I....absolutely love this author. It's kind of a shame she has books out in another series which includes vampires...and I'm a firm no-no on vampires. Sigh. I might sign up for her email list and wait until she writes something else but in the meantime I'm enjoying her awesome series.

Reading the third of the Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan, Queen of Fire. I'm just at the halfway mark, it's decent enough, though I still think the first in the series is the best.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Howl's Moving Castle

Another installment on my list of Books I Really Shoulda Oughta Read Long Ago

It's a good read. I'm not a huge fan of the Knowing Author sort of fantasy writing--where the author and/or narrator more or less know they are in a fairy tale--but Jones manages to keep the surprises and twists coming, and the central character is charming and well-rounded. Getting through this one has been a skate rather than a slog.

Tom

Istar
Rereading one of my old favorites, The Thief! I can't believe I've been reading this book since middle school; no matter how many times I finish it, it just doesn't get old. Knowing all the plot twists takes some of the fun out, but the worldbuilding, characters, and clever writing more than make up for that.

Rereading one of my old favorites, The Thief! I can't believe I've been reading this book since middle school; no matter how many times I finish it, it just doesn't get old. Knowing all the plot twists takes some of the fun out, but the worldbuilding, characters, and clever writing more than make up for that.

The one by Megan Whalen Turmer, or is there another one...because I had to read a book with this title once.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
The one by Megan Whalen Turmer, or is there another one...because I had to read a book with this title once.

That's the one! When I first read it I thought it was a standalone, but then I found out later that it's actually part of a series. I hear it's now called the Eugenides Series (after the main character), but back when I started hanging out in its fandom circles it had no official name, so everyone referred to it as the Queen's Thief Series.

The characterization and complex political plots are amazing. The setting also really adds to its appeal--I don't think I've ever heard of another fantasy series set in a Byzantine Mediterranean world.

That's the one! When I first read it I thought it was a standalone, but then I found out later that it's actually part of a series. I hear it's now called the Eugenides Series (after the main character), but back when I started hanging out in its fandom circles it had no official name, so everyone referred to it as the Queen's Thief Series.

The characterization and complex political plots are amazing. The setting also really adds to its appeal--I don't think I've ever heard of another fantasy series set in a Byzantine Mediterranean world.

Unfortunately, I found it very boring and was unable to appreciate it :(

Tom

Istar
That's too bad! I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea. I know a lot of people complained about its slow-burn plot structure...personally I didn't mind, because I prefer character-driven stories, but not everyone's willing to wait for the action.

That's too bad! I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea. I know a lot of people complained about its slow-burn plot structure...personally I didn't mind, because I prefer character-driven stories, but not everyone's willing to wait for the action.

I'm a lover of character-driven stories too...but sometimes a book doesn't click for me.

Reactions: Tom