• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Mytherea

Minstrel
Rereading "The Curse of Chalion" mostly 'cause I'm in a reading slump, so I'm going for what's comfortable. I'm thinking the slump might be caused by too many options that are making the act of committing to one book weirdly difficult.

Mythopoet

Auror
Close to finishing The Summer Tree. Would have finished it by now but I couldn't find it for a few days. Turns out my 3 year old had stuck it in the kids' books bookshelf. The only time in his life he's ever put anything away, but it was not helpful at all since it's a library book. Sigh.

I put The Star Rover on hold because I've been dreadfully sick and my sick brain just didn't appreciate it at all. Decided to finally read The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett instead since the price for the ebook came down. I always tend to read Discworld books when I'm sick. And this one so far is not disappointing. Though I feel like I should have reread I Shall Wear Midnight first. It's been a long time since I read it and I feel a little disconnected from Tiffany's development.

C

Chessie

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. Its a very interesting read, especially for those who love worldbuilding (or just anthropology).

His books are really good, especially that one. Make sure to read Collapse too. Similar subject but still a highly educational read.

I finally finished To Kill a Mockingbird (drive-a-tent-peg-through-your-own-skull boring, I'm afraid) and now I'm reading Six of Crows on a friend's recommendation. I'm only 100 pages in but I like it.

Admittedly the only reason I was reading To Kill a Mockingbird was that my friends boyfriend, who doesn't read almost ever, read it and was really shocked that I hadn't. So...I didn't want to be outdone by a non-reader. :/

Tom

Istar
I love To Kill A Mockingbird! It is slow, but that's why I like it. The gradual, subtle accumutation of tension and characters and themes are what hooked me when I first read it. I will admit that I also like it partially for nostalgic reasons...a lot of my favorite books are the ones that I read repeatedly when I was a kid, even ones I was required to read for school (except for Brave New World....ughh). We were supposed to read To Kill A Mockingbird over a period of about two weeks, but I zipped through it in a few hours. I still remember filling out the reading sheet and my best friend being convinced that I cheated somehow.

Mytherea

Minstrel
I finished my reread and had a nice time analyzing how every scene almost always started with a goal that got sidetracked, which was something I completely missed the first time around. Now I'm caught between pushing on through "An Import of Intrigue" or starting "The Blade Itself" (leaning toward "Import" though just 'cause I'm almost a hundred pages in already so I might as well finish).

I love To Kill A Mockingbird! It is slow, but that's why I like it. The gradual, subtle accumutation of tension and characters and themes are what hooked me when I first read it. I will admit that I also like it partially for nostalgic reasons...a lot of my favorite books are the ones that I read repeatedly when I was a kid, even ones I was required to read for school (except for Brave New World....ughh). We were supposed to read To Kill A Mockingbird over a period of about two weeks, but I zipped through it in a few hours. I still remember filling out the reading sheet and my best friend being convinced that I cheated somehow.

It is a good book, and I loved the atmosphere of the sleepy little town, and the characters. But the second half didn't do it for me at all. I like books with a great atmosphere and characters but i tend to get bored of it by the time the book's over.

Reactions: Tom

Tim Reed

Dreamer
I am currently reading the final part of Mark Chadbourn's Age of Misrule series, which I have enjoyed a lot. Alongside that I am dipping in and out of Stephen King's recent(ish) short story collection, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams - which is a bit hit and miss, but has some excellent stories in.

Mythopoet

Auror
Finished The Summer Tree and found it really immensely enjoyable. My younger self for some reason thought it was badly written, but my current older and hopefully wiser self thought it was great in just about ever respect.

Also finished The Shepherd's Crown. It was quite good. Though certainly not his best, and I felt the characterization was off from the characterization of the same characters in previous books, but that's to be expected I suppose. It's a great conclusion to the Tiffany Aching series.

Just got back from the library where I picked up Lirael and Abhorsen. Can't wait to dive into more of that world!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
"Firefly: a celebration" created by Joss Whedon

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out
To the black
Tell them I ain't coming back
Burn the land
And boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me.

Have no place
I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me.

C

Chessie

Current list:

-Inharmonic (Songmaker Series), which I found completely by accident and he writes in a world similar to mine. :D
-Eight Seconds To Forever (CR)
-Shine On (HR)
-Guerrilla Publishing (almost done)
-Six Figure Author (halfway done)

It's going to be a busy reading month!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
The Black Count, a history about the extraordinary life of Alex Dumas, the father to Alexander Dumas, author of The Three Musketeers, etc.

C

Chessie

The Black Count, a history about the extraordinary life of Alex Dumas, the father to Alexander Dumas, author of The Three Musketeers, etc.

This sounds very interesting! The Three Musketeers is one heck of a book!

Peat

Sage
Read By The Sword by Mercedes Lackey today as I needed a fun feel-good braindead book to read while waiting for my dad at the hospital. Did its job admirably.

Was reading Blood of Elves, but got a little tired by the scarcity of action.