• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Scrivener expert needed for technophobe!

Dutch

Dreamer
Hi all!
I am looking into using Scrivener as it looks like a great tool. I have a Mac and an IPad so thought I could combine these rather than go out and buy a new laptop to work on my WIP on the go.
How easy is it to transfer the same project between both devices? Is it just a case of getting the app on both and syncing each time?
I know it sounds like I'm being cheap but thought I should make use of what I have if it is doable?
Any help appreciated!!

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I'm using Scrivener on mac and ipad pro (and the old ipad before that), it's pretty slick. Unfortunately, my editor insists upon working in Word. I synced right after the iOS version was finally released, so my memory is sketchy on how it works... I do know it won't sync via iCloud, which was annoying, so I had to go and get dropbox going.

You'll get the occassional sync hiccup as with all things I've used, but all and all, it's pretty danged easy.

EDIT: And Scrivener is a great app, well worth it IMO. While the iOS version took forever, I haven't noticed a single bug in the features... not that there may not be some, I just haven't found any. After I fried my macbook pro, it is in part the reason I was ok with switching to the iPad pro for my mobile.

Last edited:

Dutch

Dreamer
Thank you! So I just download app onto my Mac and then download app onto my iPad (I have an old iPad 2?), get Dropbox and I'm away?
This all sounds too good to be true!!

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Testing my memory, but I think you do need to pay for both versions... at least at launch this was true. But basically... yeah, it's nearly that easy. I was running it on an ipad 2 without any trouble before getting the new pro. There is also some small amount of learning curve between using the program on mac and ipad, but no big whoop. A little trial and error and you'll be off and running.

Thank you! So I just download app onto my Mac and then download app onto my iPad (I have an old iPad 2?), get Dropbox and I'm away?
This all sounds too good to be true!! ��

Dutch

Dreamer
Thanks guys. Still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new laptop! If I get any questions I will be coming back to this thread! ;-)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Yes, definitely Dropbox. That's how I work. I set Scrivener to save files and the backup files to Dropbox, so all projects go there. When I work on my desktop, there they are. Work on my laptop, there they are.

One caution, worth putting in its own paragraph: Get in the habit of closing the app when you are done. Scrivener is smart enough to know you have ProjectX open already, when you go to open it on another device, and will offer to make a separate copy, but then you have to start tracking which copy is the most current. You'll never overwrite anything, but the copies thing can get tricky. Close on DeviceA and you'll always openly cleanly on DeviceB. Also, FTR, you can have ProjectX open on DeviceA and then open ProjectY on DeviceB, no problem. This can be handy at times. I have a project called WorldReference where I keep all my world building stuff. I can open a writing project on DeviceA and WorldReference on DeviceB. It's like having a reference book open beside you on the desk.

More generally, every writing project is a Scrivener Project. Even short stories, etc. Keeps things clean.

Demesnedenoir said his editor requires Word. That's not an issue. Scrivener compiles to a variety of formats, including RTF (that's how I share with my beta readers), DOC and DOCX (which is how I submit to magazines or agents). No problems at all. It also goes to various e-pub formats.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Getting to Word is easy... but then I make lots changes in Word, and getting them back into Scrivener a chapter at a time is annoying... nothing difficult, but annoying.

The compile on Scrivener is awesome, very flexible.

I've also found a work intensive method of pulling out all dialogue for characters so I have all of 1 character's dialogue in a folder, which makes it easier to make sure I'm not blurring character voices in edit, saying things they wouldn't say or how they'd say it. Nifty stuff.

Yes, definitely Dropbox. That's how I work. I set Scrivener to save files and the backup files to Dropbox, so all projects go there. When I work on my desktop, there they are. Work on my laptop, there they are.

One caution, worth putting in its own paragraph: Get in the habit of closing the app when you are done. Scrivener is smart enough to know you have ProjectX open already, when you go to open it on another device, and will offer to make a separate copy, but then you have to start tracking which copy is the most current. You'll never overwrite anything, but the copies thing can get tricky. Close on DeviceA and you'll always openly cleanly on DeviceB. Also, FTR, you can have ProjectX open on DeviceA and then open ProjectY on DeviceB, no problem. This can be handy at times. I have a project called WorldReference where I keep all my world building stuff. I can open a writing project on DeviceA and WorldReference on DeviceB. It's like having a reference book open beside you on the desk.

More generally, every writing project is a Scrivener Project. Even short stories, etc. Keeps things clean.

Demesnedenoir said his editor requires Word. That's not an issue. Scrivener compiles to a variety of formats, including RTF (that's how I share with my beta readers), DOC and DOCX (which is how I submit to magazines or agents). No problems at all. It also goes to various e-pub formats.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Understood about the less-than-two-way street. Here's how I deal with that, FWIW. I write in Scrivener. Compile to RTF. Other Party does Word-type markup and sends it back. I open that in Word and open Scrivener. Make the changes indicated (or not), then file away the Word document. Recompile, resend, repeat. Not the most elegant, and there are still some issues with Scrivener for me, but the disadvantages of Word are for me far greater than the disadvantages of Scrivener.

Dutch

Dreamer
Another quick question. I typed dropbox into the app store search and there are loads!! Which one does everyone use?!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
There is only one product called Dropbox. I can't speak to what you are seeing, in part because I don't use iOS, but this is the web site

Dropbox
You should be able to find your app there.

Dutch

Dreamer
Thank you. Sorted it now! Looks like there are a few out there that are unofficial products :-s Can't wait now to get underway and have ordered keyboard for iPad already! Let's hope this is all worth it to save money.