• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Howdy

ATKH

Scribe
Greetings to you all from Finland.

I have thought about becoming part of one fantasy community or another for a pretty long time, but now is the first time I've actually done it. The decision to join the noble ranks of Mythic Scribes was spurred by my success with last year's Nanowrimo - I managed to write an urban fantasy novel of 50 099 words in no more than twenty days, and although the plot was inconsistent and the characters badly fleshed out, the feat made me feel incredibly good about myself as a writer. As if I had been overly harsh with my self-criticism in the past.

My passionate love affair with the English language began at the age of nine: I can still vividly remember feeling incredibly frustrated because a translation for the final book of my favourite kids' series (which featured clans of talking cats with mythical ancestors) was a year away. I couldn't bear waiting, so I somehow got my hands on the English edition and sat down with a huge dictionary by my side. The first paragraph was something about moonlight glistening on granite boulders, and took maybe fifteen minutes for me to understand, but I persisted. And gradually got better. Fast forward a number of years, and I've read way too much English literature, studied in English, been the editor-in-chief of an English-language online magazine... and, most importantly, written in English a lot. I always strive to improve, so do feel free to point out any mistakes related to my use of language.

Throughout the years, I've always had a high-fantasy-related writing project or two in the back of my head. Sometimes in the form of a map or stuff scribbled on the margins of a notebook, sometimes a short story or two, sometimes a very detailed, but unrealised, outline of a plot. I've dabbled with them for a while before abandoning each for different reasons. Now, after proving myself that I am indeed capable of completing a big writing project (no matter if the Nanowrimo was bad), I feel slightly more optimistic about my current undertaking: A fantasy world where technology is often similar to that found in our world in the 1950s, but sometimes very different due to the existence and use of magic.

Favourite fantasy authors: Tolkien (duh), Andzrzej Sapkowski, Brent Weeks, Richard Kadrey.
Other authors: John Milton, F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Games: The Witcher 3, Skyrim, CoD:MW2. And the Sly Cooper trilogy for nostalgia.
Music: Everything, including classical, blues, jazz, rock, metal, folk, electronic... well, just everything good.

Reaver

Staff
Welcome to Mythic Scribes! Thanks for joining our community. I'm looking forward to seeing your contributions.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met ATKH
or should I say "Moi!"
The Finns are coming !!!!
I am always gob-smacked by anyone that can write in not-their-first-language.
Leap on in and enjoy the glorious pool of delights that is Mythic Scribes!

ATKH

Scribe
Moi and kiitos, the only two words you need in order to survive in Finland (this has been proven) :)
I am humbled by such a warm reception... and will no doubt be infiltrating your smart and lively discussions in no time.

Welcome to Mythic Scribes. Based on the warning I got from administrators of the website when I got here over bad use of English grammar I bet your English is better than mine! No but seriously, welcome to Mythic Scribes. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk