• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My worldbuilding ideas

Hiya!

It is true that some aspects of your world sound Tolkien-ish. But many others do not. Remember that a lot of how your readers perceive your world will be in the execution of these ideas. Ideas on their own can sound derivative, but in a story they can be made into something entirely different. If you can make them your own and use them in a new and unique way, it will really help.

I'd caution against having bad guys that are "evil by nature." In many cases, villains that are more human and have choices are more interesting.

This is a very vast world you have created. You'll spend a lot of time fleshing it out!

What I have done is I began to write something like a baedeker, or a travel guide. I started to write about an almost 4000 man city called Aratann, which lies at the southern shore of the lake, its name literally means "Kings city", with tann meaning city, of course.It lies on the southern shore of a lake and used to be a capital of the kingdom of Arhathon "Northern Kingdom". However now the highest political authority is the mayor, and the city is also home to the Patriarch and a community of (not sure how to translate this. I called them "Hromáči" in Slovak, the word "hrom" means thunder in Slovak, -áč is just a suffix simmilar to-er in English (kopáč=digger, pankáč= fanof punk music...)

creation myth:

At first there was Nothing. It wasn’t, and was at the same time. It was as a radiant grey mist, floating in the Void, simple and complicated at the same time. Nothing was in the Void, and Void was in Nothing, but Void was not Nothing.
But there was also Imir, the One, who came to be. He began to shape the Nothing, and from him came Light and Darkness. They were not separated, but one upon the other. Light confronted Darkness, and their conflict lasted shorter than a blink on an eye yet the whole eternity. Lightning and thunder flew and Nothing was separated into two.
From the clash of Light and Darkness came all matter, and also great energy which filled the Cosmos with the primordial elements: earth, fire,nature,water, ice ,air, spirit,time and death.
Where was the Light, there was the Sparking Flame. It enlightened the Void, but Darkness was against. Darkness arose again against the Light, and sought for the Sparking Flame. But as Darkness touched the Sparking Flame, Mordír arose.
From Imir came the gods, as offsprings of his thought. And as he spoke, word by word, and blessed by the Sparking Flame, they came into being.
Imir sided with the Light, and the Gods aided Him in the confrontation with Darkness. Amongst the Gods was Maldanír the greatest, and he fought an exhausting battle with Mordir, until they became one being- Mordanir.
Mordanir was mighty and evil, his pride and wrath were beyond match. One after the other he destroyed many Gods, turning them into dust.
However, as the Gods and Imir battled Mordanir, and as Voidlords approached, Imir spilt the Sparkling Flame out, and where it reached the primordial elements, those became the earth, fire, water, frost, and air elementals.

That is true. Indeed I am trying to wipe out as much Tolkiens sketches from my world as possible, since I really do not want to be Tolkiens copy-cat....well... but I am not very creative. :(
So seems I am going to do the whole thing from a scratch :(

Ill keep the races, but well my geography is very, I mean VERY unoriginal :(
You don't need to start from scratch, you just need to change those ideas that follow along Tolkien's story. I think your world is very Dungeons and Dragons like in an original way, if you discount the Tolkien and perhaps nomads. If you think a while, something will come of it. After all this is a first draft is it not? Do 't be discouraged!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

My ispiration was also trying to seek out stuff from Hesoid and Warcraft and TV Tropes. As of why is Imir male? Well because I cannot imagine Him being female. The name is I guess derived from the Norse mythology giant Ymir, who was the first being.

So here it is again. I editted some parts and made it wee bit longer:

At first there was Nothing. It wasn’t, and was at the same time. It was as a radiant grey mist, floating in the Void, simple and complicated at the same time. Nothing was in the Void, and Void was in Nothing, but Void was not Nothing.
But there was also Imir, the One, who came to be. He began to shape the Nothing, and thus it be made into Light and Darkness. They were not separated, but one upon the other. Light confronted Darkness, and their conflict lasted shorter than a blink on an eye yet the whole eternity. Lightning and thunder flew and Nothing was separated into two.

From the clash of Light and Darkness came all matter, and also great energy which filled the Cosmos with the primordial elements: earth, fire,nature,water, ice ,air, spirit,time and death.
Where was the Light, there was the Sparking Flame. It enlightened the Void, but Darkness was against. Darkness arose again against the Light, and sought for the Sparking Flame. And as Darkness touched the Sparking Flame, Mordír arose.

From Imir came the Gods, as offsprings of his thought. And as he spoke, word by word, and blessed by the Sparking Flame, they came into being. Imir sided with the Light, and the Gods aided Him in the confrontation with Darkness. Amongst the Gods was Maldanír the greatest, and he fought an exhausting battle with Mordir, until they became one being- Mordanir.

Mordanir was mighty and evil, his pride and wrath were beyond match. One after the other he destroyed many Gods, turning them into dust.

However, as the Gods and Imir battled Mordanir, and as Voidlords approached, Imir spilt the Sparkling Flame out, and where it reached the primordial elements, those became the earth, fire, water, and air elementals.

Imir then shaped many worlds, from dust and the primordial elements he created them, one by one, and they were settled by the Gods, around a dozen in each of the worlds. And amongst these worlds was also Talmar.
In each world Imir put a Fountain of Life, containing a source of the Sparkling Flame, and from the Gods descended the demigods.
And as from the Fountains of Life came the came the primordial force of life and nature, and soon, with the blessings of the Gods and Demigods, the various plants, the various fungi,the insects, the fish, the serpents and lizards, and birds and beasts alike came to be.
But the force of life had yet its antipole- Death. These two forces are direct opposites of each other, and thus without one could not be the other.
But before the Gods descended into Talmar, a dozen of dark beings enterred Talmar, and drained sources from the Fountain of Life, to create their own servants. They were shaped as symmetric, cephalopod-like creatures, and are known as the Dark gods. They created various insect-like and octopus-like creatures to be their servants.
However, the Gods loyal to Imir came to Telmar and battled the forces of Darkness- many elementals which served as thralls to the Dark gods were banished to the Elemental plane, and vast numbers of insectoids were slain in battle. The Dark gods were improsonned deep beneath the surface of the earth, so that their evil will be neutralized.
And then came a long period of „spring“ when the world was young and when evil was banished from the surface of the earth.