• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Path to Villainy

Miseo

Minstrel
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sorry I couldn't read them earlier... been really busy because of a certain messy situation. But I do appreciate all the responses!

I would like to make a story all about a hero doing hero-y things throughout the whole story, but then when he/she settles down in a castle or whatnot, the 'real' hero shows up to defeat the 'villain'.

Actually kinda reminds me of a Korean manhwa I read called A Fairytale for the Demon Lord (I recommend it). The hero is the hero, but the villain pretends to be a hero and the hero in order to beat the villain becomes a villain while other heroes eventually come after him...

Malik

Auror
I would like to make a story all about a hero doing hero-y things throughout the whole story, but then when he/she settles down in a castle or whatnot, the 'real' hero shows up to defeat the 'villain'.

Pretty much exactly the point where the first book in my series starts. It's a fun way to write your villain.

Pretty much exactly the point where the first book in my series starts. It's a fun way to write your villain.

I play with this a little in one of my stories. My heroine kinda comes to wonder if she was as much a villain as the villain she kills. At the end it just seems all random to her and she wonders if there really was a hero and villain.

Which brings up the question: when heroes start having to do questionable things...where's the dividing line between heroes and villains? Is it just the point of view?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Which brings up the question: when heroes start having to do questionable things...where's the dividing line between heroes and villains? Is it just the point of view?

Unless you're writing a black and white story, this is one of those great questions where exploring things can lead to some really great stories and characters.