• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Be Honest: Why are you Really Not Published Yet?

For i am only beginning to write my wip and have my first book idea on the back burner as that one needs more thought. Plus being pure panster by nature and having dyslexia it takes me more time to get ideas out of my head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4265

Because I can't ever seem to decide on the plot. I can get it to work and all make sense and just as the last piece is falling into place I realize I just don't like it and I have to dismantle the whole thing again so I can fix it.

I never finish things. Sometimes I build the skeleton and then give it muscle, but when it comes to the details of the skin, I just can't decide what to do. When I get too detailed I start to see things I need to change. I end up ripping the skin off and reworking the organs, but by then everything is a total mess so I push it back in disgust and work on something else until I push that one in disgust.

Annoyingkid

Banned
Because I want everything done first. I don't want to create one novel, pubish, then start on the next because once it's out there you can no longer edit. I want my trilogy to be as cohesive as possible.

C

Chessie

Because I want everything done first. I don't want to create one novel, pubish, then start on the next because once it's out there you can no longer edit. I want my trilogy to be as cohesive as possible.
I really wish I would've done this. There's a lot to do after a book is published to help it get noticed by the right readers. It's tough to juggle that with more writing.

I've been trying so hard to make my first book stand-alone. It's not working--it's far too interesting a world. Now I'm reworking my second book to fit in with the first, and it's a total mess. I'm not sure what to do now.

kdl121

Dreamer
It's a not a question of why am I not published yet ... it's a question of why cant I finish one book? Just one! I don't even think I need to get published at this point, I just want to finish one and say "Here, I did it, I achieved my life's goal! ... and then if it's good enough maybe I will publish it, lol

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I did actually manage to get one thing published, but for the most part, I am just too lazy. Writing the tales is one half of the equation, finding places to submit and learning the market is another. I find I only have so much energy to spend, and I would rather spend it, presently, on creating more stuff.

Tort76

Acolyte
Maybe I can't find the right agent to buy my book. Completed, I love it, but may just not be enough to entice another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seira

Minstrel
Well, for me it's simply that I haven't pursued it because I'm fairly new to the craft. I've always wanted to try creative writing, even if just for fun but life kind of got in the way. I was a carer for my Dad and he died 2 months ago and i've been a bit lost ever since having to learn how to cope totally on my own. But I do remember at the hospital he told me to do everything I wanted to do. Because he did and had no regrets.

Lisselle

Minstrel
Seira, I'm so sorry. I've also lost my parents, and learning to go forward is painful and difficult. I hope you have support.
Writing should help; lose yourself in your World. When my parents died I was at Art School, and my art reflected my grief and anger. It was very powerful to work on back then, and I love it now because it's a part of my 'journey'. I hope you can use you craft to help you through this difficult time.

Lisselle

Minstrel
I'm not published because... I'm a perfectionist and I write and re-write and edit and edit and edit.
I'm also a coward, and am possibly arrogant because I love my books so much and they are truly everything I have EVER wanted to read, so how will I handle the soul-tearing experience of rejection? (By saying this I don't mean I think they are literary brilliance, or even very good, but I love the story and the people and the World.) I'd rather edit and edit again and again. :D

I still have work to do, yet how will I know when they are finished? I'll always find fault, there will always be ugly words I need to remove, or repetitive words. And I'll always discover a new/ old mistake I have been making which I need to address. There will always be story lines to consolidate, and characters to develop. Tying three large books together is a meticulous process, and I cannot miss anything. I need to check and double check everything to make sure it's all cohesive, and consolidated completely so they are the solid foundation for the next three books.

It's been eight years since I finished my first draft, one day I have to let my Books go. Maybe this year. :)

Last edited:

RedAngel

Minstrel
I am not published yet because I have not been completely serious about writing until recently (past 6 months)

2: I put too many eggs into too many egg baskets with my leisure time. I was writing 5 books at the same time.

3: The things I wrote in the past were terribad!

4: My pantser ways were leading me towards outcomes I did not expect or want before I discovered fire! (I mean outlines)

5: My characters were uninteresting as I did not fully understand human nature as much as I thought I did.

6: I learned show and tell isn't just for kids.

7: I always feel things could be so much better and spend a considerable amount of time overanalizing what I have written.

8: My writing routine consisted of writing quickly and not anything of real substance.

9: And last but not least I was afraid of critisim. Mainly because my works were rough and unpolished amonsts a group of friends who were not particularly keep on fantasy novels to begin with and friends who said it was great when it really wasn't

But now I see the light and the error of my terrible writing habits. I have spent quite a large amount of time these past few months about the art of writing and actually researching properly and getting my 2 novels (instead of ten) actually written properly this time drawing from the lessons I learned so that I might actually have a chance to publish in the forseeable future.

I aim for 2500 words a day now before I even think about editing previous chapters. I then watch videos and read books again. Not just for fun but to actually see what the writer is doing behind the words they so carefully use.

Be Honest: Why are you Really Not Published Yet?

Honestly, it boils down to just two things...

• I only decided at the start of 2014 to take my writing beyond being just a hobby.
  • (Until very recently) my perfectionism always prevented me from completing a full length novel.

Fortunately, thanks to the self-publishing revolution that has taken place over the past decade, my debut novel goes on sale this coming week, so I will finally be able to lay claim to being a published author.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We finally did publish... in April of this year! And much to our surprise (and I'm sure the surprise of you who know us) we went indie, and we couldn't be happier. Now we're working on book two of our series and planning to release it in February.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Congratulations! Quite an accomplishment! Can I ask, what's indie?

Indie is basically self-publishing, short for "independent," as opposed to traditional publishing where a writer (or writers, in our case) are published through a publishing house. The industry is changing, and there is now more than one viable path to publication. It's very exciting!