• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

X Equestris

Maester
Right now I've got a collection of all of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories. It was a bargain at $ 0.99 on Kindle. I'm currently on "Red Nails". The style, and some of the themes, might not fly today but the stories are certainly entertaining.

Russ

Istar
Right now I've got a collection of all of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories. It was a bargain at $ 0.99 on Kindle. I'm currently on "Red Nails". The style, and some of the themes, might not fly today but the stories are certainly entertaining.

I quite enjoy Howard as well.

Geo

Troubadour
Following my "one book per week" challenge for 2017, I just finished The Golden Mean, by Annabel Lyon. Historical fiction about the private lives of Alexander the Great and Aristotle, and their relationship as tutor and student. I have to say Annabel does a superb job bringing ancient Macedonia back to life. All those little details of the everyday life that not only show she took her research seriously but create a vivid world beyond the most often portrayed soldier's life and great battles of the ancient Greece are simply genius and ingenious, and a great example of effective world-building.

Aeryn

Dreamer
Right now I'm reading Half Bad by Sally Green. I still haven't figured out if I like it or not. The writing style isn't really my type, but on the other hand, I also quite enjoy it. This means I'm still in between with deciding whether I like it or not!

I just started His Majesty's Dragon, first in the Temeraire series...So far I'm completely hooked. Temeraire reminds me of Toothless. He's adorable. O_O The historical setting is enjoyable too.

I LOVE DRAGONS OK

Following my "one book per week" challenge for 2017, I just finished The Golden Mean, by Annabel Lyon. Historical fiction about the private lives of Alexander the Great and Aristotle, and their relationship as tutor and student. I have to say Annabel does a superb job bringing ancient Macedonia back to life. All those little details of the everyday life that not only show she took her research seriously but create a vivid world beyond the most often portrayed soldier's life and great battles of the ancient Greece are simply genius and ingenious, and a great example of effective world-building.

I should do such a challenge...I have been wanting to read more.

Mythopoet

Auror

I really liked Red Nails. Sure, there are problematic bits, but the setting is truly a great work of imagination.

I finished The False House last night, which is the sequel to The High House by James Stoddard. It was even better than the first book.

Geo

Troubadour
One more week, one more book. An author I really like, Neil Gaiman, in a book I liked a lot but that it was not what I expected: The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Highly enjoyable and an example of taking risk with voice and style.

C

Chessie

I'm currently reading Story Grid: What Good Editors Know, by Shawn Coyne. He was a New York editor (apparently one of the best) and his goal in writing the book was to help Writers' learn how to edit their own work. Not sentences...We're talking character, plot, story. It's fascinating and I'm learning so much. If you're interested in sharpeningg your storytelling abilities, this is a good one!

Also finished reading Tempered Hearts (Hearts of Valentina saga), S.A Hutchinson. Okay...It's an elven romance! I loved it! So I downloaded the second book but I'll be sinking my teeth into The Snowfang Bride first. ;)

Reactions: Geo

Geo

Troubadour
I'm currently reading Story Grid: What Good Editors Know, by Shawn Coyne.

This book was the first one I read that actually help me make sense of plot structure as an important tool to ultimate shape a book instead of just a series of steeps that must occur.

Incanus

Auror
Almost done reading Steinbeck's "Cannery Row". It's most excellent. There is only a mere fibril of plot running through it, but the character depictions, insight into people, and sense of place are all stellar.

Mythopoet

Auror
I've been reading The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers. Like most books by Tim Powers it's very difficult to describe. Basically, it's Europe in the face of the invading Turks (early 1500s) and an aging Irish adventurer who's fought the Turks before finds himself suddenly witness to various supernatural appearances and events which revolve around the mysterious Aurelianus and the Herzwesten brewery of Vienna.

C

Chessie

Actually, I started reading Radiance by Grace Draven instead of the fang bride. It's totally sucked me in. I really do love her books.

Son of Eld

Dreamer
I started re-reading Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series to get ready for The Book of Dust. One of my favorites, it really deserved a better movie :(

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Incanus, you might try Travels With Charley some time. It's Steinbeck going cross country with his dog Charley. It's Steinbeck looking at America, circa 1960.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Now reading David Eddings, The Belgariad. Just because I felt obliged. Not bad, not great. Just one of those things so I can say I did it.