• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

C

Chessie

Phew, I've been away from here (and writing) for quite some time now. But I'm finally getting stuff together again.

I've now started the revision process for one of my novels, and I'm astounded at how many typos I'm finding on the read-through. Anyway, this is the first time I'm (hopefully) actually going to do some proper revision. Usually I just write the novel, then chuck it into the backyard and start with a new one.

Good luck! What are you writing about?

Russ

Istar
Vegas, April 20-23, with Donald Maass as Keynote speaker on the last day. However, I'll be doing all of it except the Maass class.

Nothing more fun than a conference in Vegas.

The faculty looks pretty good. too bad you are not doing the Maass workshop, his research is great and he is a fantastic instructor.

Have a great time and perhaps do a report for us when you come back.

Incanus

Auror
Thanks Russ. I have to say Vegas is one of the last places I would go to of my own volition. That said, it probably is well suited for conventions of all types.

I had to make a decision about the Maass thing, and perhaps I chose unwisely. But money is an object, and I'm not really into his message all that much--it's not where I'm headed. Otherwise, I'd be quite happy to attend.

It's going to be quite an adventure, that's for sure.

Ronald T.

Troubadour
Nor me, yet.

It just so happens that my birthday falls right in the middle of it. And not just any birthday - this one ends with a 0. (And it begins with a 5.) Yikes!

Happy Birthday, my friend. I have to admit, I didn't even start writing until I was in my mid fifties. I was a devout reader and I studied the art and craft of writing for thirty years, but I never wrote anything. So, in truth, I'm envious of the years you and so many other still have ahead of you...years in which you can create an endless number of fantastic stories. Never give up, my friend.

And I hope you enjoy the convention.

I've only gone to one, held in L.A. a few years ago. I got to meet Donald Maass, and he signed two of his books for me. My wife, Jane, and I were fortunate enough to be seated at the same lunch table with Donald (eight people at our table). We shared some very enjoyable conversation.

And I did go to his seminar. It was well worth the time.

All my best.

La Volpe

Sage
Good luck! What are you writing about?

Thanks.

I'm working on my epic fantasy that I wrote one or two years back. The elevator pitch is: A low-class girl, searching for her brother, is roped into a magic-wielding outlaw's plan to kill an unkillable monster. I originally thought that it was terrible, even after the rewrite, but now that I read it again, it seems quite alright.

So, not to be a creeper or anything but where do y'all live? I live in Lebanon, Missouri and have never left the country. Been to D.C. many times though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Futhark

Inkling
Never left the country either, but we say 'never been overseas' because, you know, no land borders with other countries.

C

Chessie

Never left the country either, but we say 'never been overseas' because, you know, no land borders with other countries.

Alaska is considered an overseas assignment in the U.S. military. I suppose that's kind of right, since you can't get here without using an airplane or ferry...

C

Chessie

Why? Doesn't Canada have roads?
Yes, but there's still ferries. You can't just drive in. And since Canada doesn't allow felons to pass through their country, I've known people with felonies or too many DUIs that have to fly to the American mainland because they can't get through the ferry.

Futhark

Inkling
Yes, but there's still ferries. You can't just drive in. And since Canada doesn't allow felons to pass through their country, I've known people with felonies or too many DUIs that have to fly to the American mainland because they can't get through the ferry.

I was trying to be smart, got schooled instead, haha.