• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Tropes: Favorite/Least Favorite?

I hate "The Love Triangle" with a burning passion. Specifically, I hate the triangle which is based around a female protagonist "torn" between to male characters (in reality leading them both on). The most egregious aspect of this trope is that one of the suitors is always a so-called "Bad Boy" who is invariably possessive, controlling and abusive, which inexplicably makes him irresistible to the heroine; whereas, on the other hand, the second suitor is always a so-called "Nice Guy" who is caring, considerate and loyal, yet somehow this means he is a boring loser who is incapable of stirring the heroine's passions. (In other words he is far to good for her.) Three guesses as to which of the two suitors always wins in this scenario. :mad:

Before anyone asks; yes, I am a very bitter "Nice Guy" who always lost out to the "Bad Boy" and that may have influenced my feelings towards this particular trope. :D

Every. YA. Novel. Ever.

I personally want to see a story where the two guys realize they were only fighting over the girl because they were trying to impress each other, so they hook up while the girl remains single and happy. XD

I'd read that. Anyone wanna write it, or do I have to do this one myself also?

Here's a good one:

I love it when a minor, lovable, comic relief character becomes integral to the plot at a crucial moment or is thrown into the forefront of the plot after being largely ignored/useless for the rest of the story. Works best in series rather than one-offs.

What I love about it is that the character is lovable, and you wish you saw more of him/her, but obviously the whole story can't focus around him. So when the story briefly explores their side of things, it's immensely satisfying.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
^What's the third book titled, if I can ask quickly before I go to bed; just that little description got me interested! :)

Its working title is Song of the Sea. I'm trying to find a different one because that's also the title of a recent-ish movie about selkies. My book's about merfolk. ^^

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
Its working title is Song of the Sea. I'm trying to find a different one because that's also the title of a recent-ish movie about selkies. My book's about merfolk. ^^

I can't wait to read this one, Ireth! What you've shared of it is wonderful. I love how unique your merfolk are.

As an aside, I love Song of the Sea. Such a beautifully animated movie.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I can't wait to read this one, Ireth! What you've shared of it is wonderful. I love how unique your merfolk are.

As an aside, I love Song of the Sea. Such a beautifully animated movie.

Thanks, Tom! I'm hoping to get back to working on it soon, but my focus right now is on Winter's Queen (which, incidentally, is the book I mentioned earlier with the demisexual heroine). Shouldn't be too much longer before it's agent-ready... then I have to snag said agent. XD

Aaah, I want to see that movie so baaaad. Wonder if it's on Netflix here in Canada... we don't have quite the selection as they do in the States, frustratingly. :/

Reactions: Tom

Creed

Sage
I personally want to see a story where the two guys realize they were only fighting over the girl because they were trying to impress each other, so they hook up while the girl remains single and happy. XD

:D Great idea!

We should have a flash fiction thread in the Daily Challenge section for "Trope Twisters." I'm not sure how many tropes can be spun on their head in less than, say, 300 words, but it could be fun for the MS community. :)

:D Great idea!

We should have a flash fiction thread in the Daily Challenge section for "Trope Twisters." I'm not sure how many tropes can be spun on their head in less than, say, 300 words, but it could be fun for the MS community. :)

I SECOND THIS. And third this. And fourth this.

Simpson17866

Minstrel
Favorite: I love Villain Protagonists — vigilante Serial Killer Killers in particular — that the narrative acknowledges as being villains (as opposed to trying to paint them as the heroes. Less Dexter please, more Death Note.)

I love series where The Bad Guy Wins every few installments

I love Subversions and Deconstructions/Reconstructions of familiar yet tired ideas

I love when Magic and Science/Technology are used together instead of kept apart ("any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from science")

I love pretty much anything to do with Snarking

Least Favorite: tend to be very politically-minded, and I should probably lurk more before trying to push the boundaries

Apparently, two women competing on a recent season of The Bachelor dropped out when they realized they'd fallen more in love with each other than with him :)