• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where did your username come from?

My name is my pen name as an Author. I don't necessarily want to write with my true name because the town I live in is a high Christian based town, mostly the religious side of it, not the actual relationship with God, and many of them disagree thoroughly with reading magic books or fantasy etc. I like the name Thomas and Laszlo actual came from an upended writing expirement I did with a friend a few months ago. I am excited to read about everyone else's now!

I see. I'm homeschooled and am part of a highly conservative Christian homeschool group. Many of the people I know have a distrust of magic and fantasy. :/ I couldn't care less what they think, but it is a bit frustrating.

My real name has a very "author-y" sound, so I think I'll write with my real name. I've experimented with pen names though.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I made costumes and when I went to find a name to use for my website, all the easy things were taken...so after about 30 minutes of inventing dot coms and plugging them into GoDaddy, I found that cagedmaiden.com was free, and since I made corsets and other Renaissance and historical and fantasy costumes, I just took it because I was tired of searching and didn't really care. So, I became the caged maiden, because I wear corsets to support fancy heavy historical dresses (which you can see in my profile if you care to look through my costumes folder of photos). Yep, nothing deep, just my old business name.

kabe

Acolyte
Mine was taken from Ian M Banks' 'Look To Windward', a character named Kabe Ischloear. As a character, he came across as the calm, considered, peacable person we all would like to be....

Aryth

Minstrel
I got my username from the map of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Back in high school I'd pick World of Warcraft character names from his series, and Aryth was my Draenei Priest. The western sea in Jordan's novels is called the Aryth Ocean.

Insolent Lad

Maester
My name originally comes from a long-running, on and off again folk-punk band I've fronted, the Insolent Lads. I've taken to using it everywhere, pretty much. As to why I chose it in the first place, it just sounded like the right name for the job (even though I'm quite polite and wouldn't object to a lass in the group).

Geo

Troubadour
There's not mystic to my name, really. I studied oceanography in college, and the last year you have to choose an area to specialize; I chose Coastal Geology. That year, for some strange coincidence, everyone else was into biology and chemistry, and I became the sole student of the whole geology group. Soon enough, my friends started calling me Geo, and by the end of the year even the teachers called that. So I took it as official nickname and use it every time I can (the problem is that very often it's already taken).

OfAllTheBars

OfAllTheBars: A deliberate misquote of Rick's line from Casablanca (simply the best film ever made): "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." @ofalltheginjoints is too long for twitter, @ofallthebars is just right, but you'll find me as @russellbowman

I love crystals, crystalline structures, crystalline beings, and my gender is often ambiguous at best, even to those who know me. As for my avatar, Mew is one of my favourite Pokemon creatures, and I love cats.

Addison

Auror
I got my username as it's a name I've always liked and it's a helluva lot easier to spell and pronounce than my real name. My best friend of fire years and my step-dad of ten still can't spell it right.

I got a new Switch, and I made a mii named Dark Lord Thomas Pie who had glasses, a big nose, balding hair and a grey beard, two mustaches, and black clothes. I decided that he was such an interesting character, that I would make him into the character I would play as whenever I play a role-playing game, then I decided he was really a dragon in disguise and started putting him in my stories. I also decided that he was going to be the 5th dark lord, chosen one of the Dark One.

Chasejxyz

Inkling
I wanted a Professional Writer brand name, and I knew it would require my real name in some capacity. I also know that names of real people tend to be super expensive as domain names. However, no one really buys .xyz domains, so chasej.xyz was really cheap, it's memorable, and now I have a consistent branding! Hooray!

MrNybble

Sage
My name was created from computer terms. A Nybble is half a byte (four bits). Being a computer technician I made the name as I seem to be a few bits short of a full byte at times.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
I use my real name. However, I often use the usernames Juche (named after North Korea's ideology) and Yecal Selim (my name spelt backwards) because it sounds vaguely Middle Eastern.

In both cases I was watching documentaries when I came up with the usernames.

The Prince of Spires is a fictional character who originated in the Warhammer universe. It's the protagonist in the first novella I (accidentally*) wrote. Since then he's made cameo appearances in both my novella and novel.

*for those wondering how you accidentally write a novella. I wrote it episodically as a piece of fan-fic. When it was done and I tallied up the word count I suddenly had written 20k words. I was aiming for a short story...