• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

C. A. Stanley

Minstrel
^I, unfortunately or fortunately, read very fast and can remember whole passages of text. I read the second Stormlight book in about three days [1,000 pages].
I would say fortunately... If you don't sacrifice comprehension for speed, it's a great thing! Unless of course you enjoy a book so much that you don't want it to end... Then you're screwed lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

C. A. Stanley

Minstrel
*sputters incoherently* SEVEN?!?!?! That'll be over 7,000 words! :eek: Is Brandon Sanderson going to be writing while ninety or something???
7,000 words? *pages aha. Yeah Stormlight Archive is a planned 10 book series (10 is the magic number ;)). As fantasy authors go, he's a speedy one

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

C. A. Stanley

Minstrel
I've read up to 450 pages in a day at times, when the book is really good, and when I have time. I'm something of a speed reader. However, my reading speed decreases drastically when the book im reading is boring. :p

I'm ashamed to admit I don't know my reading speed, not even an estimate :frown2: But I do know my reading speed is also significantly reduced when reading something boring (though that's normal I guess, Dragon?) or something mind-boggling... Kafka I'm looking at you!

C. A. Stanley

Minstrel
Brandon Sanderson has said he shoots for about 1 book per year. But he's also said that he typically does a lot of drafts for each book: "it comes out to be at least eight to twelve times through the book before it’s published." And of course, his books are huge. Somehow he manages doing those podcasts, attending various conferences...The guy's insane. I think he also has a personal assistant who helps.

Doesn't he teach creative writing at Brigham Uni too? The man is INDUSTRIOUS to say the least! And I'm pretty sure he didn't start getting things officially published until 2005, so only 12 years to date. The amount of quality stuff he's put out there in that time is incredible

C

Chessie

Her Strict Plumber (1940's romance) and Her Bastard Bridegroom (medieval fantasy). Yeah, yeah. I need passion and fire in my romance books, ok? I'm so tired of getting ripped off by either what should be labeled as Y.A. fiction and erotica (neither of which I read, I'm somewhere in between). I blame Amazon, not the authors. I like my stories on the delicious side, not yippity clean or highly indulgent, but I digress.

I'm reading Man, Oh Man: Writing Quality M/M Fiction by Josh Lanyon. I haven't written in the genre yet but have read in the genre and am working on a novel I'll begin writing this weekend. A lot of it's pretty basic stuff, but reading how-to's from a romance novelist's POV, about m/m romance specifically, is helpful.

Oops. Yeah, I meant pages, not words. :p

I'm very picky about the types of romance books I like [though, I'm picky about everything...] Most of the romance books I read are also fantasy, and I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't more fantasy boy-boy or girl-girl romance stories.

Oops. Yeah, I meant pages, not words. :p

I'm very picky about the types of romance books I like [though, I'm picky about everything...] Most of the romance books I read are also fantasy, and I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't more fantasy boy-boy or girl-girl romance stories.

I can't interest myself in romance. I try to, but my mind wanders just reading the blurb on the back cover. I would like to try out a variety of books, but this variety apparently is not for me. :rolleyes:

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Correct. It all amounts to personal taste. But apparently there are some things I need to keep to myself. :rolleyes:

I'd say it's the opposite.

Statements disparaging the opinions of others should be kept off this site.

The Mythic Scribes guidelines clearly state that one should keep an open mind during debate & that we are expected to treat other members with respect.

Last edited:
C

Chessie

Romance is a beautiful part of life. Without it, none of us would exist. I love reading about mature feelings and how people sacrifice for one another. It is truly a magical experience to know that you would die for someone and that someone would die for you. Sue me, it's what I love. Romance is about emotion, intimacy, and the creation of an unbreakable bond the likes of which people cross mountains to gain.

Russ

Istar
And human sexuality is also something that is an important part of many people's lives. Literature and art has been discussing the depicting it for thousands of years.