• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Reporting back on a free book giveaway

MAndreas

Troubadour
Reporting back on my first Book Bub.

Some people asked that I post my results--my book The Glass Gargoyle was free Sunday through last night.

I put my book free on Sunday because I don't trust Amazon--hindsight--probably would have been better to keep that extra day for the tail (would have been today).

Gave away 871 on Sunday, no promo aside from FB and twitter.

Monday I had Booksends (wouldn't recommend them) and Book Hippo (UK, free, lovely people--I would recommend them ;)) 1037 given away.

Tuesday- Book Bub day went insane- 33,282 given away. Hit number #1 for all free ebooks in Fantasy, and at one point #2 in ALL Free ebooks (mostly stayed at #3 for all free ebooks;)) stayed there until it went off free last night.

Wed: had free booksy (undecided- free with them was $100 so probably wouldn't do again.) gave away 7696-this day also showed a massive spike in my KENP. (AKA Kindle Unlimited Reads- I'm in KU.)

Thursday 1105 free no other promo, but an even larger KENP spike.

All of the other books in the series have spent the last few days in the top 30 for my genre. The formerly free book landed at #10 for my sub-genre (humorous fantasy), and 2,173 in all paid today when it came off of free :).

I made back easily enough to pay for all the promo, have received 4 new reviews (good ones, but I know the stinkers will come with that many free books out there), and hopefully am gaining a lot of new readers.

Russ

Istar
Nice work. You inspire me to correlate the data on some stuff my wife and I did recently and share it.

WE also had a good experience with Book Hippo.

MAndreas

Troubadour
OH! And the formerly free book is now at 99 cents, I'm getting a fair amount of sales even today on it--so that might be a good idea for anyone doing a freebie- don't go back to the full price right away ;).

Arranah

Troubadour
So was the give away on Amazon? I don't trust Amazon for anything, not since they wanted access to everyone's books for free without the author's permission. So when I published my ebooks, I went through Smashwords. I am offering some of my books for free on Smashwords which utilizes the Premium Catalog. My work is available through about eight vendors. Could you explain what your mean in more detail about what you did? What kind of promotion did you pay for and how did you go about it? Thanks.