• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What's the story behind your avatar?

Russ

Istar
Mine is my coat of arms. Both lines on my mother's side are armigerous and thus these are the arms I am entitled to claim, or my mother would be entitled to display as well. While in some countries arms are only passed down on the male side, in the Habsburg countries arms are passed down through either sex.

There has been a slight modification for display purposes, and I really should get around to registering it with the Canadian Heraldic Authority.

Tom

Istar
I found my avatar ages ago when I was looking for inspiration for a mage character. It popped up in the google search and I liked it so much that I've been using it across all different sites ever since. I'm not actually sure about the image's original source--the microscopic signature on the bottom right doesn't turn anything up except an old roleplaying character chart that hasn't been edited since 2009 at least. Could have originally been a Pathfinder illustration.

Fun fact: Legendary Sidekick has described my avatar as "Harry Potter setting his chest hair on fire" in the past, lol.

Geo

Troubadour
Mine is an picture that my nephew made of himself in some avatar website.

He showed it to me and asked me if I like it. I was at that moment reading something in the forum, and that started a long conversation about what a forum is and what we do here.

My nephew had just started to learn how to read and write, he's only six, and he asked if I could use his picture so that he could know which were my posts even without reading. He's very convincing when he wants something, and he wanted this badly for some reason, because he even offered to make that his birthday present (emotional blackmail at it's best, I know). At the end I said yes. Now each time he visits, he asks me to log in and we check posts and I read (and translate, because he speaks only French) about some of them. It has become our thing, so I don't think I'll change it any time soon.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Mine is from a sci-fi book from the 1950s, whose title I've long since forgotten. I honestly don't know why I chose that rather than a fantasy theme. I think it's simply something that was conveniently the right size. I didn't realize I could change it, and now may have to go looking for something more fitting. But I am a sucker for early space flight era graphics.

Mine is from a sci-fi book from the 1950s, whose title I've long since forgotten. I honestly don't know why I chose that rather than a fantasy theme. I think it's simply something that was conveniently the right size. I didn't realize I could change it, and now may have to go looking for something more fitting. But I am a sucker for early space flight era graphics.

Ive been trying to figure out what your avatar is forever. It looks like something leaning against a tree.

Coldblue

Dreamer
Mine is one of the characters in my story who doesn't come in until much later but is mentioned earlier on. I had the name and character design separately, and once I put them together his character became this great thing I just couldn't control. He's by far my favorite character to do draw besides my main character because every time I draw him I get something different out.