• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Tips for "Speedwriting" Tedious Scenes in the First Draft?

So, a couple of my recent posts have followed a trend. It is mainly about finding practical solutions for skipping boring scenes in the First Draft. So far, infodumps have come in handy for progressing boring bits in a plot, but there are other aspects which still keep bogging me down from the main story. The reason this is all happening is because I got caught up in a subplot that was way longer than I expected.

As a result, I want advice on tedious scenes. I know that it's ok to have a "trashy" session, but this isn't specific enough to satisfy me. What particular techniques do you use when you start a trashy session?

1. How do you handle dialogue in a trashy writing session?

2. How do you handle critical plot points that have to be introduced during a trashy writing session?

3. How do you manage description in a trashy session?

4. How do you manage character development when you basicially skimmed through a major part of a character's arc? Is this even something reccomended for a First Draft?

5. What do you do that allows you to get your mind off how crappy your writing is in that particular instance?

General questions like these are the kind I'm seeking answers for. In a sense, the reason I'm so paranoid about this is because I abandoned my last WIP due to structural reasons in the First Draft. I stopped caring about the story, the characters, and every writing session was painful. And I abandoned it once I was reasonably close to its end. I've finished a first draft before, and in a sense, this is a remake of the first draft I finished. I thought I was invincible because I had already finished a draft once, but I was wrong.

I'm far from reaching that breaking point in my current story, but I want to be safe. I want to be sure that the tactics I employ for making the First Draft easier aren't tactics that break the structure of the story. You may choose to answer all, some, or one of the questions I listed above. So long as you feel you have advice, an anecdote, or even a bit of sympathy, I'll be glad to hear what you have to say.

A great deal of thanks, scribes. This forum reminds me that I'm not the only guy busting his head in front of a computer every day :D

Hi,

There should be no tedious scenes! If you think you've got one - somethings wrong. I'd suggest going back to the start and rewriting it.

Personally my approach is to write, rewrite, and then right again times a hundred. And then you can start the beta read and editor. Somehwere along the way anything that's tedious should hopefully get sorted.

Cheers, Greg.

I feel there was a fault in the way I phrased this thread. By tedious, I don't mean the scenes are unnecessary or boring, because interesting things are happening in them. By tedious, I mean that the scenes are just difficult to write at the current moment.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Tapatalk

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Sometimes I will write out the whole scene in dialogue with no actions. It helps me just to put it all in conversation, which can come fast and furious in my head. If you have no other character for your mc to dialogue with, then give him something else to talk to. An animal walking by. A mouse who happens to be gnawing on a chunk of bread in the same room. A pile of bones. Hamlet's best soliloquy came from talking to a skull.

I give myself ten minutes. I set a timer and type nonstop until the timer goes, never stopping to fix errors.

I allow myself to surprise myself. Don't stick to the script. Set the timer and let 'her rip. You may find something pours out you never expected. Use it. If you feel yourself getting bored, consider how you could switch it up to make it more interesting. Maybe, at the worst possible moment, the worst possible thing happens.

Incanus

Auror
There may not be anything like a 'great' solution to this. But think ahead a little bit. What happens if you skip or skimp doing the tedious work the whole way through? It seems to me you'll reach a point where there's nothing left to do except the tedious work. How inspired to finish are you going to be then?

My advice is to mix in the tedious work with all the other work. Leave at least a few 'fun' things undone that you can look forward to. Maybe it's a little like acting like a parent and making your child clean up their room before they can play games.

Not that what I'm doing works any better than anyone else, but I don't take any short cuts when drafting or editing. I just do the next thing that needs doing, as well as I can do it at that time.

Good luck!

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I've no great secret. I either slug through it, or if I'm truly flummoxed, I just skip ahead to a different scene/chapter/POV or whatever.

Last edited:

Aurora

Sage
As a result, I want advice on tedious scenes. I know that it's ok to have a "trashy" session, but this isn't specific enough to satisfy me. What particular techniques do you use when you start a trashy session?

2. How do you handle critical plot points that have to be introduced during a trashy writing session?

4. How do you manage character development when you basicially skimmed through a major part of a character's arc? Is this even something recommended for a First Draft?

5. What do you do that allows you to get your mind off how crappy your writing is in that particular instance?
First, can I ask what you mean by trashy writing session? I'm going to answer your questions to the best of my ability and I hope it's of some use to you.

1. If you mean a word vomit session, then no, I don't do that. Everyone has their own process, and I by no means know what yours is but I will share mine.

My stories start out months in advance, marinating in my head. I have more stories than I can possibly tell in this lifetime. They percolate in my mind for a long time and I rotate through the ideas as I feel they're ready. I'll write one while at the same time I'm thinking/fantasizing about the others I will write. When I finish the WIP, I'll start a new one that feels ready to me. If it's not, then I put it aside and choose another idea.

There's a master list on my computer for all my 2017 projects. I check them off as I finish. Some, I've pushed to 2018 for reasons. What does this mean? That I write A LOT. Like, a ton. My daily word count will be 3-5k depending on my schedule. The reason why I can do this is because the stories cook in my brain for months before I write them. Several of them at a time. So when I finally write them, they aren't vomit sessions but actual story that comes out. Vomit sessions aren't useful for me, but I have a writer friend who does 3-4 drafts of these sessions to get closer to the final one and that's what works for him. Different people, different ways of working. Ask yourself if this works for you or if it hinders you. I'm of the opinion that everyone should do what works for them, just make sure it's helping you grow as a writer.

2. My advice to you on this is to really study story architecture. It will help you understand so much of how pacing and storytelling works as a whole to captivate the reader. I use intuition and introduce plot points when it feels right according to what's happening. I use different view point characters to bring these plot points to the surface. It gets intricate when writing a main plot plus a subplot and I do get stuck sometimes. When that happens, I take time to think about it by either tending to something else in my life or fooling around in another project. I try not to take longer than 3-4 days to get unstuck, since I like to be productive. Anyway, learning how these points accelerate the plot will help you in so many ways and eventually it'll become second nature.

3. Description is my favorite. I throw it all in. Every writing session gets the best out of me, this includes description. I treat my drafts as the only drafts, so even though I go back and add things in or take things out, I put everything in that I can 'see' from the get go. Sometimes I see a lot, other times I don't. Depends. At the end of each writing day, I keep note of what I need to fix or where there wasn't enough description. I try to think about the reader and what I can give her. Would more description of setting help her feel immersed? Does she need to know less of this or more of that? I go back and fix things if that's the case. So no, it's not all done in one sitting.

4. Again, keeping notes helps here. If a character isn't developing well, I think about her or him more throughout the rest of the day. I focus on that character's motivations. Part of why I write so fast is because it helps me feel immensely connected to the story and characters. I get obsessed with them. Characters develop as the story takes place and I know more about them the further the story deepens. Towards the 3/4 mark, I already know how the story will end and how I need to wrap up the character arcs. Also, I focus more on reader satisfaction and how pissed I would be if I ended with the characters a certain way and so forth.

5. If a part of the manuscript is crappy, I delete it and write it over again. I don't keep anything that doesn't fit, sounds weird, or doesn't move the story forward. I used to hate doing this. Truth is, if you hadn't guessed, I basically write pulp fiction. So there's no time to rewrite crappy things. They get deleted and I start fresh. It's improved my writing a lot because I've learned intuitively what works for the types of stories I write.

Anyway, this way is not for everyone. I hope this helps and I wish you good luck in your writing.

Mytherea

Minstrel
Okay, so, first and foremost, I--personally--try to avoid "trashy" writing sessions. They're just writing sessions, and some days I write a lot and other days I don't. If I brand them trashy, then it's only a few steps for my brain to go "bad writing session" then to "failure" and ending with "you suck." Whereas if I keep it emotionally neutral, that it just is, it helps me, personally. This is just me, though. I also find it helps if I don't view my draft as a draft. Again, it just is. It's also mutable. All things written today can be changed tomorrow, and very often, what I hate today, what I think is eye-searingly awful, turns out not to be quite as bad as I think it is the next day. And when it is awful, I can fix it. Again, works for me. Like Aurora, I don't word-vomit; I tend to know what I'm doing and where I'm going and if I don't, I sit back and ask myself why. But I've never been the kind of writer who figures it out as they go along. But, for example, everyone in my in person critique group is, so they figure things out in the moment.

Now, since I'm unpublished, I have the luxury of being able to take a break when I hit a wall. So I do. Usually for a day, but sometimes two or three. I read. I watch TV. I play the endlessly therapeutic Skyrim and kill some stuff. I go to work and get frustrated with the public. Then I go back. Often, whatever it was that was blocking me sorted itself, and I continue on. On those days where that doesn't work, I ask, one, is this scene necessary? Am I getting lost on a tangent and that's why it's not working? If it is necessary, then I ask if I'm missing something. Maybe I forgot to establish something and my writer-sense is kicking in and telling me something's not right. Or maybe there's just something missing and the scene really is boring, so I need to throw something else in the mix. If none of these options are clicking, then I usually reread earlier parts of the project and try to enchant myself again. Remind myself why I want to see it to the end. Which works for me.

Like, I just had a section (well, still writing the section, actually) where for days, I just puttered around, fleshing out the dialogue, adding things, cutting things, all because I really didn't know how to introduce a character and a plot element at the end of the scene. It's a major one, I know it's necessary, I just...didn't know how to introduce it. So I took a break, read a book, and I don't know if it was the act of reading or the act of letting it sit, but earlier today, I realized what I needed to do to get things rolling, and now I'm unstuck.

To answer 4, though, I try really, really hard not to get into that position. But then, I'm an outliner, so I usually have a rough idea where it's going and what the character's arc is going to be long before I really start. Which isn't necessarily helpful. :/

Annoyingkid

Banned
I feel there was a fault in the way I phrased this thread. By tedious, I don't mean the scenes are unnecessary or boring, because interesting things are happening in them. By tedious, I mean that the scenes are just difficult to write at the current moment.

You have it completely the wrong way round. You don't speed write through difficult scenes, you spend additional time on them. At the end of the day, you're either interested in getting it right or not. Period.

Okay, so, first and foremost, I--personally--try to avoid "trashy" writing sessions. They're just writing sessions, and some days I write a lot and other days I don't. If I brand them trashy, then it's only a few steps for my brain to go "bad writing session" then to "failure" and ending with "you suck." Whereas if I keep it emotionally neutral, that it just is, it helps me, personally. This is just me, though. I also find it helps if I don't view my draft as a draft. Again, it just is. It's also mutable. All things written today can be changed tomorrow, and very often, what I hate today, what I think is eye-searingly awful, turns out not to be quite as bad as I think it is the next day. And when it is awful, I can fix it. Again, works for me. Like Aurora, I don't word-vomit; I tend to know what I'm doing and where I'm going and if I don't, I sit back and ask myself why. But I've never been the kind of writer who figures it out as they go along. But, for example, everyone in my in person critique group is, so they figure things out in the moment.

Now, since I'm unpublished, I have the luxury of being able to take a break when I hit a wall. So I do. Usually for a day, but sometimes two or three. I read. I watch TV. I play the endlessly therapeutic Skyrim and kill some stuff. I go to work and get frustrated with the public. Then I go back. Often, whatever it was that was blocking me sorted itself, and I continue on. On those days where that doesn't work, I ask, one, is this scene necessary? Am I getting lost on a tangent and that's why it's not working? If it is necessary, then I ask if I'm missing something. Maybe I forgot to establish something and my writer-sense is kicking in and telling me something's not right. Or maybe there's just something missing and the scene really is boring, so I need to throw something else in the mix. If none of these options are clicking, then I usually reread earlier parts of the project and try to enchant myself again. Remind myself why I want to see it to the end. Which works for me.

Like, I just had a section (well, still writing the section, actually) where for days, I just puttered around, fleshing out the dialogue, adding things, cutting things, all because I really didn't know how to introduce a character and a plot element at the end of the scene. It's a major one, I know it's necessary, I just...didn't know how to introduce it. So I took a break, read a book, and I don't know if it was the act of reading or the act of letting it sit, but earlier today, I realized what I needed to do to get things rolling, and now I'm unstuck.

To answer 4, though, I try really, really hard not to get into that position. But then, I'm an outliner, so I usually have a rough idea where it's going and what the character's arc is going to be long before I really start. Which isn't necessarily helpful. :/
I can see where this is coming from, but this could also be considered the crux of the issue. If it is true that anything I mess up can be changed later on, why should I bring my progress to a grinding halt in order to fix it at that moment? Why would I do that when it's perfectly feasible to just tie up all the plot threads once I'm at done with the end?

I know some people that can pull it off, and all the power to them, but I find the initial phase of writing is more about keeping up a rhythm until you finish the story. And then, once the tale is finished, all the polishing can be brought in through revision.

Mytherea

Minstrel
I can see where this is coming from, but this could also be considered the crux of the issue. If it is true that anything I mess up can be changed later on, why should I bring my progress to a grinding halt in order to fix it at that moment? Why would I do that when it's perfectly feasible to just tie up all the plot threads once I'm at done with the end?

I know some people that can pull it off, and all the power to them, but I find the initial phase of writing is more about keeping up a rhythm until you finish the story. And then, once the tale is finished, all the polishing can be brought in through revision.

Ah, my apologies for not being clear. I meant it on a micro level, not a macro. If today, I feel like everything I touch turns to crap, then quite literally tomorrow, I go back and rework it (I usually reread and tweak the last few pages of what I'm working on to get myself back in the flow for what I will be working on in a given session), not in three months when I finish the whole project. In three months, it's probable that I'd have forgotten the specifics of what I needed to figure out, I'm no longer in the groove, things that were abstract concepts in my brains that I just couldn't figure out how to put down on paper have already faded, and I'm far more likely to become frustrated with it and give up. Whereas if I take the time, right now, to figure out what's stopping me, then I benefit in the long run. And I don't necessarily view taking a break as stopping. I may not physically be writing, but the problem solving part of my brain is constantly going, playing through scenarios, trying on different plot twists, different ways the scene could play out, adding a character, removing a character, and so on. I, personally, consider this writing as well, just preparation. Again, this is just me, though. I know people who are the complete opposite and if they stop, they completely stop, and the story had better be done. They think I'm completely bonkers.

Russ

Istar

This is one of those things were personal habits are king. Some people cannot move on until the last section is in great shape, others are happy to vommit 400 pages and then go back and revise extensively. You just need to discover the way that works best with you.

But you do have to be careful it is not a work avoidance thing, or to skip over too many of the hard parts. If you bomb through your book writing all the fun stuff at breakneck pace and leaving the tedious until later, you end up looking at having to do ten tedious scenes back to back at the end, and that can be a morale killer.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I drop into a scene-level outline mode when I'm struggling with a scene. It reads like a script, right down to the Character: How dare he?
The big advantage here is that I can see the whole scene in like half a page and iron out any difficulties before I've written anything.

Ah, my apologies for not being clear. I meant it on a micro level, not a macro. If today, I feel like everything I touch turns to crap, then quite literally tomorrow, I go back and rework it (I usually reread and tweak the last few pages of what I'm working on to get myself back in the flow for what I will be working on in a given session), not in three months when I finish the whole project. In three months, it's probable that I'd have forgotten the specifics of what I needed to figure out, I'm no longer in the groove, things that were abstract concepts in my brains that I just couldn't figure out how to put down on paper have already faded, and I'm far more likely to become frustrated with it and give up. Whereas if I take the time, right now, to figure out what's stopping me, then I benefit in the long run. And I don't necessarily view taking a break as stopping. I may not physically be writing, but the problem solving part of my brain is constantly going, playing through scenarios, trying on different plot twists, different ways the scene could play out, adding a character, removing a character, and so on. I, personally, consider this writing as well, just preparation. Again, this is just me, though. I know people who are the complete opposite and if they stop, they completely stop, and the story had better be done. They think I'm completely bonkers.
Oh, I can see how that works. I also have nothing against breaks (maybe I'm biased because I just took a 3 day break myself [emoji53] ).

I outline, but I guess I'm a bit more radical when it comes to forcing myself to write. Knowing me though, taking breaks can easily become chronic.

I drop into a scene-level outline mode when I'm struggling with a scene. It reads like a script, right down to the Character: How dare he?
The big advantage here is that I can see the whole scene in like half a page and iron out any difficulties before I've written anything.
That actually sounds kind of fun!

This is one of those things were personal habits are king. Some people cannot move on until the last section is in great shape, others are happy to vommit 400 pages and then go back and revise extensively. You just need to discover the way that works best with you.

But you do have to be careful it is not a work avoidance thing, or to skip over too many of the hard parts. If you bomb through your book writing all the fun stuff at breakneck pace and leaving the tedious until later, you end up looking at having to do ten tedious scenes back to back at the end, and that can be a morale killer.
This. I was also worried about this. So far, I've only been "Speedwriting" on too separate occasions. I try to do it only when absolutely necessary.

However, I'd be lying if I said I had the best judgements.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I had a scene the other day where I just wasn't in the groove (ok, editing book 1, working on the query and synopsis have knocked me way out of groove). It wasn't that I was writing poorly (IMO) so I just decided to plop it out in dialogue and... I just stopped. The information was important, but the storytelling was abyssmal. By which I mean the scene was poorly motivated. No tension. I planned tension, but to do it would feel forced. So, down comes the axe, off I go to another scene. While writing something unrelated plotwise, I figured out how to lace the info into another scene which will have greater motivation and tension surrounding it. If I'm bored writing it, I stop writing it, it's a horrible sign for the life expectancy of that scene.

A few days before I wrote an intro piece, and just got hungup on the details of what came next, so I skipped to how I knew the scene needed to end, once the end was on paper then everything in between became crystal clear. I've written one character straight through without chapter breaks for 70 pages before, and I've bounced all over the place before. I bounce more than I write straight through, but in the end it all works. Sometimes, staring into space for 10 minutes is useful too. Many an answer has come from riding the mower, the roar and vibration shaking my brain loose, I'm guessing.

Aurora

Sage
Ok...so are you calling speed writing sessions trashy then? Can you do your best to focus on producing good story during those sessions? It's not about produing perfection; it's about producing cleaner work. Can you take the trashy out of it?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team

A lot of times it's all it is. As long as it moves things along, it's good enough. It's like a bowel movement.

When I go into a scene. I generally know that in it I'll be handling, say, Plot A and Plot D, and that I'll be advancing each plot respectively from points D to E and from points H to I. As long as I know that, for the most part, the details of what happens inside that scene don't necessarily matter to the rest of the story. The next scene will continue on as if each of the plots has advanced, picking up from Plot A, point E, and Plot D, point I. The details of how they got there, I don't need to fuss too much about, at least not in the first draft.

When I get into draft 2, things like this obviously matter more. And what I find is that because I have a better idea of where things fit and where they're going, it's easier for me to play with these "trashy" scenes to try and make them better. Though, some times this process starts before I even finish the first draft. When I get ideas, I make notes in the scenes stating how the scene could be made better and what some possible better approaches may be.

A lot of times I end up combining "trashy" scenes together to condense plot revelation and ratchet up tension. I find that sometimes all I need to do is move things along quicker to make things work. It's kind of like this character is handling things a little too well. Let's pile on two or three more problems and see how they do.

If the description is there, it's there. If it's not, it's not. Sometimes I just put in brackets (need to elaborate on x, because y)

4. How do you manage character development when you basicially skimmed through a major part of a character's arc? Is this even something reccomended for a First Draft?

See answer to question 2. In each scene I know where the character is at when they enter the scene and where they're at after the scene. How they get there doesn't necessarily matter in draft 1. The next scene just continues on as if their arc had advanced.

This is something got me beyond the crippling weight of perfectionism. I always tell myself "It may suck now, but I can always make it better." Because as I go through my day, I'll think of better ways to do things.

This is true about half the time. But the other half, it turns out it didn't suck at all.

There are times where I come back to a scene, thinking well this piece of garbage needs a serious burning, and come to realise it works just fine. Though, the reverse is true too. I've come back to "inspired" scenes that I thought were brilliant, but they were trash.

Sometimes it's really hard to judge something without getting away from it for a time.

Last edited: