• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Casting the Bait: What lure should I use and how should I use it?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Heliotrope, Svrtnsse, Incanus, FithView:

Thank you for engaging the question. I have some thoughts on what you've said, but they start to diverge further from the topic set forth in Heliotrope's original post, so I am going to post them in a separate thread. I look forward to further discussion there, if you feel so inclined.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Heliotrope, Svrtnsse, Incanus, FithView:

Thank you for engaging the question. I have some thoughts on what you've said, but they start to diverge further from the topic set forth in Heliotrope's original post, so I am going to post them in a separate thread. I look forward to further discussion there, if you feel so inclined.

Sounds fun!

I'm a big fan of series and usually expect to have resolution of the biq issue or question in book three. Occasionally, as in the Outlander series, the books go on forever, thankfully for some of us and there is no real resolution. In other books, such as C.J. Archer's Glass and Steele series, I just finished book three and was furious that there was no romantic resolution. This is a wonderful series that I assumed would end at number three but discovered there is a fourth coming. Of course I pre-ordered it, but I admit to feeling cheated by the double cliff hanger at the end without the resolution I expected. This as an issue I'm facing in my own Kingdom of Uisneach series (Book One: The Prophecy hopefully releasing in the fall). I planned on three in the series and the hook will be resolved in book three, but I have an entire lifetime of these characters in my head, so will likely need to create a whole other series to bring that to fruition. The trick with when to resolve the hook, it seems, is to keep readers hooked without frustrating or disappointing them.