• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Enhancing your Dreams Life!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello everyone here in the Dreamscape.

I am curious to know if any of you has tried to enhance your Dreaming Life by adding a bit of chemical help. I do not mean strange drugs, not really. What I mean is eating certain foods known for causing more frequent vivid dreams, or drinking certain types of infusion perhaps.

There are many things that I have tried:

Many types of cheese can enhance your dreams, especially if you eat the cheese at night. Having tuna for dinner can also result in some unusual dreams, that has given me some interesting results sometimes.

In certain occasion, I purchased a lot of tomato sauce of the kind that comes in little boxes. Normally I use it for lentil soup, but back then I decided to have this tomato sauce for dinner every night. It caused some very intense and funny dreams at first, and then the effect wore out.

My treatments with Saint John's Wort cause very powerful dreams. I have started treatment again recently, I already had my first wacky dream and very soon I am going to tell you more about this.

How about you? Any particular dream-enhancing substance that you have tried?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
St John's Wort good for dreams?
It usually has exactly the opposite effect. Or at least it did with me. A couple of months on SJW and I am very relaxed and dreaming or writing at all.
No food seem to have a significant effect on my dreams, so I think you are very lucky in that respect.
For me it is fatigue and stress that bring on the truly weird dreams. So I try to avoid that.

Hello everyone here in the Dreamscape.

I am curious to know if any of you has tried to enhance your Dreaming Life by adding a bit of chemical help. I do not mean strange drugs, not really. What I mean is eating certain foods known for causing more frequent vivid dreams, or drinking certain types of infusion perhaps.

There are many things that I have tried:

Many types of cheese can enhance your dreams, especially if you eat the cheese at night. Having tuna for dinner can also result in some unusual dreams, that has given me some interesting results sometimes.

In certain occasion, I purchased a lot of tomato sauce of the kind that comes in little boxes. Normally I use it for lentil soup, but back then I decided to have this tomato sauce for dinner every night. It caused some very intense and funny dreams at first, and then the effect wore out.

My treatments with Saint John's Wort cause very powerful dreams. I have started treatment again recently, I already had my first wacky dream and very soon I am going to tell you more about this.

How about you? Any particular dream-enhancing substance that you have tried?

I have heard that apple juice has this effect, but I have not tried it myself. I don't really like apple juice.

I recall having more intense dreams quite a long time ago after having blue cheese before going to bed, but that was before I became lactose intolerant.

I've found alcohol, certain types, and amounts, affects dreaming. Wine tends to wipe me out, but certain craft beers with lots of different hops have made for interesting dreams. Cider tends to make me angry at myself in dreams - dunno why! I think one of my best, intensest nights was after absinthe.

I've heard coltsfoot and mugwort can enhance dreams. I've tried burning them to help in meditation and trance, but don't think I've quite managed to harvest the leaves at the right time yet so wouldn't want to burn them in my room before I go to sleep.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
It's a nice cold night here and I am listening to Lyriel while I write this post!

Dragon, I have also heard about the effects of apple juice on dreams. Some people prefer to drink apple vinegar, which is very aggressive even when you dilute a little of it in a glass of water. I have not tried the apple options yet, but maybe I am going to give them a try when I get a decent juice extractor =)

CupofJoe, yeah different people sometimes have different reactions to the same substance.

For my sister, Saint John's Wort is pretty much the Happiness drug. It makes her feel just happy, all fine and good. For me, the Wort is more like a friendly but also dangerous substance. It sure fights my depression and anxiety and other things away, but it makes me feel high and weird, not actually happy.

My Saint John's Wort dreams are pretty strong.

Lorna: I have heard about Mugwort too. As far as I know, if you want dream effects from special plants the best way to achieve it is by means of infusions. I think that my most intense Wort dreams resulted from having a seriously powerful chamomile infusion for dinner and then overdoses of Wort right before going to sleep.

What you said about beer and cider sounds intriguing!

So many people think that anything with alcohol is the same, how strange. The effects that I get from wine (not dreams related) are totally different to how beer makes me feel, and cider is a radically different thing as well. Wine is what I enjoy every night in order to calm down before going to sleep.

I think that wine wipes me out for a few hours, and then my second phase of dreaming is more intense than normal.

One of these nights is going to be a beer night for me, instead of my usual wine time. I have a feeling that it's going to be a friendly combination with the Wort... We shall see!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Hmmm...maybe I need to try St. johns Wort :)

I hate to say it, but I almost never remember any of my dreams. I fear I would have not much to add to this topic.

I have noticed that to remember my dreams, I have to wake up gradually. If I am awoken suddenly (as with an alarm) I forget everything.

I've been having very long and detailed dreams lately, but since I am out of practice writing them down, I have trouble remembering. To anyone who wants to remember their dreams, I say get in the habit of writing them down in as detailed a way as you can manage whenever you have them. It teaches your brain to remember, or something.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Indeed Dragon, writing down our dreams is really important!

My current treatment with Saint John's Wort started to cause severe light sensitivity, so I was forced to lower my doses and now the intense dreams have receded. I am going to try something else for the dreaming effects, perhaps tomato sauce and tuna for dinner, and I shall report about that here.

This is one of my recent Wort dreams:

Some kind of important sporting competition was going to take place not far from my city, so I traveled there in order to enjoy the events. It was a place with grassy fields and pools, there were so many people attending the ceremonies and the atmosphere in general was very happy and positive.

It was a cold night, everything was dark apart from the light provided by lamps and fireworks and I was watching a swimming competition. Then I got inside of the pool, and that was when strange things started to happen:

All of a sudden people started to scream, and I looked up to see the planets forming a curious alignment in the clear starry sky. I could see all of them with incredible clarity and intensity, very nice colors. However, I knew that the alignment was something evil and it would cause some kind of calamity.

Soon, a great earthquake came and everyone freaked out.

Most people at the competitions died during the quake, but I was left uninjured and I started the travel back home at the morning. I was flying peacefully above forests and gardens, and I saw many swimming pools down there.

The pools were all nice and clean, and nothing seemed to have happened in that area despite of the quake.

I arrived home to discover that my neighborhood was devastated.

Many houses had collapsed, all of the others were damaged and there were injured and dead people everywhere. I arrived at my damaged house, refused offers of help from neighbors and I fortified my place as best as I could since I was afraid of looting and fights for food out in the streets.

Then it was night again, I had very nice Christmas lights, everything was peaceful and I woke up.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello everyone!

As I have mentioned already in a different Dreamscape thread, it so happens that I have been experimenting with London Dry Gin a lot recently. The truth is that I am a wine, beer and cider lady, but sometimes I feel curiosity about distillates and I have tried a good variety of those things. In comparison to all other spirits, London Dry Gin is the one that I like the most.

A good, real LDG displays Juniper berries as the protagonist scent and flavor, in contrast to other gin recipes that favor other ingredients.

You know, I have sometimes drank a lot of vodka, tequila and scotch and they all have a very similar effect. LDG does something else, it has a very curious effect on the mind at least in my case... I now regard LDG as the most dangerous drink of the world since it can mess you up like you have no idea, and yet I have realized that it can help us to have better and more intense dreams!

In my personal experience, LDG is connected to sharper visualization and seriously powerful dreams.

If you are okay with drinking alcohol (and are of legal age according to your country of residence and all that!) please try this yourself and post about the results in this thread. Keep in mind that it needs to be a juniper-heavy, cheap real LDG thing and not something like Mom or Hendricks. I recommend Gibson's, since that stuff is nice and very powerful in Juniper.

Also, keep in mind that LDG is truly the heavy artillery of drinking and please do not drink too much!

I recommend 160ml of LDG a night if you have good alcohol shields, or just 50ml in case that you cannot tolerate a lot. It's okay to combine it with something (I recommend cranberry juice) but for dream purposes it seems to work better without that.

Good luck and sweet dreams! =)