• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you play old school games?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
A few weeks ago I found my all-time favorite game. Old, new, it's the one I re-play endlessly.

Panzer General II

Yes it's a war game, turn based, but really it is like chess but with a bigger board and more pieces and pieces you can upgrade, with a campaign mode. The AI is very well balanced, and the gamer community build dozens of additional scenarios. Much as I love the immersion of modern games, PG2 is the only game that I'm still playing 20 years later (released 1997).

When I saw the title of this thread, my mind automatically went to pen-and-paper face-to-face role playing games, like 1st edition Dungeons and Dragons or pre-5th edition Tunnels and Trolls. I don't play either anymore, but that's old-school gaming to me. Much fun in the 70s....

As for video games... Gauntlet, anyone? I found a version of it online that was very true to the original, and had a blast playing it, not too long ago.

I loved playing Soul Calibur 1 on the Dreamcast. My favorite character was Ivy, and I got really good with her whip-sword. Such fun. Haven't played that game in ages, though.

Reaver

Staff
When I saw the title of this thread, my mind automatically went to pen-and-paper face-to-face role playing games, like 1st edition Dungeons and Dragons or pre-5th edition Tunnels and Trolls. I don't play either anymore, but that's old-school gaming to me. Much fun in the 70s....

Although I was an infant when D&D first debuted, I still have my copy. It's well-used and there are a ton of papers (half-finished and complete characters, DM notes and etc) stuffed into it. :D

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Also, I have Streets of Rage 1 and 2, but it's just not the same as it was on my old Sega. One of the better sound tracks around.

DMThaane

Sage
The recent Good Old Games sale sent me on a bit of a tear. I recently finished a Heroes 3 campaign and I'm working my way through a few old school RTS games. I also filled out my library and added some childhood favourites like Commandos and the entire 3DO Might and Magic line-up. Availability on the classics has really never been better, on PC at least.

CF WELBURN

Dreamer
I play (when I get the chance) modern consoles, but recently found my old Atari in my parents' attic and it brought back much gaming nostalgia... The Secret of Monkey Island was always one of my favourites. Pretty hardcore back then too; half hour loading times, no easy saves - die and you're right back at the start... Did wonders for grit.

I love to play old classics with DosBox. Of course some of them are already wrapped in GoG or even Steam. Some games that actually have managed to stand against the time quite well are for example Dark Sun 1 and 2, all the Lucasarts adventure games like Monkey Island 1 and 2 and Indiana Jones. Also Ultima IV and Ultima V are still very playable.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, I grew up with the old school video games, and I loved to death Atari Adventure, and the cool orange box it came in.

Over time though, I moved on to many many other games and probably have played near a thousand of them. The ones I enjoyed most were X-com UFO Defense (the old one and not the remake), Quake and Quake 3, and Tomb Raider. For a while, and somewhat recently, we kind of resurrected Quake and played it again. Had a whole group that would meet on a game night. But it faded. I fear now, I don't have much time to spend on video games. The last one I played and enjoyed was Dead Space, but I gave up on Dead Space 3 as I had to learn to many new button controls to play it. I don't think I will go back to video games at this stage of my life. I just too much else I would rather spend my energy on.

My son on the other hand...

Laggy

Acolyte
Played A LOT of GBA games on an emulator. A bunch of Fire Emblems, the two GBA Metroids, Pokemon, and so much more. Really love them.

LWFlouisa

Troubadour
At the moment mainly Space Invaders. I'm tempted to try the original Rogue.

I also love Final Fantasy 6.