• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is your work space like?

Reaver

Staff
A rare look into The House of Reaver:

workspace.jpg

My desk is very randomly accessorized. It has, among the heaps of paper and empty Gatorade bottles. a masquerade mask from a masquerade ball event I attended, lots of pottery I made in art class forever ago that now holds pencils and pens, some nose-themed party cups my friends found at Goodwill and gave to me, and my cactus, Snuggles.

Malik

Auror
Our house is an old barn that we converted into a living space. I built a den in one corner upstairs. I wish I'd made it bigger; I had no idea how much time I'd be spending in this room.

That's one of my Boxes O' Worldbuilding on the left. The leather-bound journals are series bibles.

The-Office-1024x711.jpg

C

Chessie

^Totally digging the sword on the wall that you can behead anyone intruding in on your work. (Joke, right? Because we all know that beheading someone with a sword is nigh impossible...)

Russ

Istar
Our house is an old barn that we converted into a living space. I built a den in one corner upstairs. I wish I'd made it bigger; I had no idea how much time I'd be spending in this room.

That's one of my Boxes O' Worldbuilding on the left. The leather-bound journals are series bibles.

The-Office-1024x711.jpg

I love maps on the wall, something about a nice map says "adventure and exploration." I have a blank wall in my home office and am seeking just the perfect map to put on it.

Malik

Auror
I love maps on the wall, something about a nice map says "adventure and exploration." I have a blank wall in my home office and am seeking just the perfect map to put on it.

I love this map. It's a Winkel Tripel Projection from Nat Geo, with a pretty accurate representation of major landforms until you get to the poles. It has polar region subs in the top corners to remediate this, and the bottom corners are land cover and altitude/depth projections. And it's a recent map, so it's up to date. It has South Sudan, for instance. I have an identical one in my office.

Malik

Auror
So while I am capable of writing just about anywhere on my laptop, my best work gets done in my small home office. But, to be honest I am particular about my writing space. So here is my desk etc:

D9q8q.jpg

I don't do well with clutter. And yup it has a strong Africa theme. My wife grew up there and I have been a few times. We have both been profoundly impacted by that continent and I am always in a better mood when surrounded by some of our African collection.

And my favourite piece of furniture in the world is in my office. This is a book display case that was previously owned by the Spencer family, at Althorp.

D9udd.jpg

I use it to store hardcovers published by friends that I really like, and certain key reference texts that I think are classics or close to them. The book in the display case is a museum quality facsimile of the I 33 Manual of the Royal Armouries in England. I have a few "fechtbuch" facsimiles that I love and rotate through the top spot.

When I can make the time to sit in that chair the words just pour out of me.

My God. I would never leave that room.

Malik

Auror
I still have an entire room behind a garage downstairs, about 12X15', with nothing in it except construction detritus and some old furniture, with 70's crap thin carpet over concrete. It needs double-paned windows, a floor, and new drapes. I dream about putting in hardwood and moving in an antique desk, a couch, several bookcases, and a stand-up bar, going with Russ's vibe, above -- dark wood, muted tones, austere feel. It's fairly removed from the rest of the house; it would be a total artist shack in the back of the barn. Looks out into a garden, even.

I need to get my shit together.

Noxius

Dreamer
My workplace is for both (nurse)school and (hobby)writing, so... there are endless stacks of papers and books lying around, some with notes on dementia, some with notes on elves, and a lot of scribbles. The only free space on my dest is where my keyboard lies.
I spend most of the time in my computer, so on top said staples there is somewhere a cup or a pack of chips sometimes.

I really don't know how I am able to find the stuff I am looking for (in the rare cases I do find it) :D

CF WELBURN

Dreamer
I'm a bit of a vagabond writer, moving between London and Madrid, it's really a case of 'where I lay my laptop is home...'

For a long while I wrote mostly in A4 pads with a trusty bic. The beauty was you could go for a walk, sit with your back against an old oak... get all Bombadil. I actually wrote a tavern scene in a very old pub, soaking up the ... erm, atmosphere. The downside is later digitalising it. I feel much more productive using a word processor from the start, and it makes editing so much easier.

I think having an uncluttered workspace is the key for me. Try leaving your phone / internet tabs closed to avoid procrastination, and leave room for strong coffee.

Aerielle Max

Okay, As promised. Here is my writing space when lit.

IMG_5020.JPG

Yes, a lot of clutter.

And when the room is dark, which is how I usually do the writing

IMG_5022.JPG

See, you can ignore a lot of clutter just by turning out the light.

This is what my table looks like. hahaha. I fix it everytime but after a few minutes, it's chaos again.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
ill call that a win.

The clutter has moved a little and seems to have collected more of the same, but i can still ignore it in the dark.

Tomorrow i may give a lesson for ignoring clutter on a desk at work.

Someday I hope to have a great work space. I hope to have a log cabin-style house with a small, cozy office for writing, stuffed with books, inspiring artwork, etc. Also big windows looking out toward the forest.

Right now the clutter is much more awful than anything anybody showed here. I have no organization system for my notes.

Malik

Auror
Behold: The Beast.

I inherited a desk. It was delivered today.

It has a walnut top and carved cherry pedestals concealing three drawers on each side. (And yes, it has a hidden compartment.) This baby is 68" wide and has sliding leaves on each end that expand to 100" across.

desk-small.jpg

This weekend I'll be putting new floors in the room behind the garage and turning it into my Fortress of Solitude. Pics to follow.

Russ

Istar
That room is coming along nicely and the desk is a nice piece. Funny I also call my office the Fortress of Solitude.