• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2017!

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
I've done no words for the last three days. Extremely tense situation at work, and some family birthday & holiday events this weekend. So I'm taking that breather, but it means I'm pretty much out of Nano at this point.
I'm out, too. I'm still writing daily but I've accepted this NaNo just isn't going to be a 'win' for me.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
3395 words today. This is nearly twice of what I've done on any previous day this month. It may also be my personal best ever, but I haven't kept track that closely.
Overall thought, I'm not doing too well. I've written almost every day, but I'm only today past 15k words. I expected that with not working I'd be able to get more writing done than normal and I set my goals high. I've not had the discipline required to pull it off, and I'm now far behind because of it. Fortunately, I'm still passionate about the story and I feel like it's going in the right direction. I've got two more chapters to write on this one, and they're likely to be short ones. Chances are I'll finish this story tomorrow.

It's a short one, but I've figured out a number of additions that will need to be made in the second draft that will both increase the length of the story and the quality of it. Second draft is going to be interesting.

Also, I had a great idea for a nice plot twist that I added into the story during today's writing session, but now that I'm mulling over it, It kind of breaks the entire backstory of the character in ways that I can't ignore. The plot twist will have to be removed in the next draft. I'm sure something else will come up though.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
About 9k over the last few days. Hit some serious hurdles that I might have gone around rather than over but I want to keep my momentum going. I figure I'll solve the problems in all of the spare time that I have and then go back and fix them later. Or they will just fix themselves. Kind of hoping for the latter...

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Already intense back pain and then snow blowing the driveway do not mix well. Such is todays excuse for no progress on 'Strange Exit.'

However, the plot issues that set in past Chapter Six remain. I shall write until that point - probably the end of this NaNo, probably around 10,000 words, then set this story aside, I think. Perhaps 'Yellow Apocalypse' would have been a better choice - it had a far better outline than this story.

I'm out, too. I'm still writing daily but I've accepted this NaNo just isn't going to be a 'win' for me.

I did manage to do 979 yesterday. I found it actually relaxing and fun, not worrying so much about Nano word counts and winning. I'm in the midst of an interesting fight scene involving my sorcerer POV character and two non-human characters I introduced for that fight. All I have left is the wrap-up to the fight (a group of castle guard has just entered the fray, while my sorcerer has been severely handicapped by the two attackers.)

I took another break yesterday, and my goal now is to write the next 16 pages and then type them out tomorrow. If I can manage the same for the next two days afterwards, I will be done by Thursday.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
About 1500 words. A little more than halfway through the second to last chapter. Not as good progress as I had hoped, but it's getting there.

EDIT: correct numbers

Last edited:

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
A little over 3.5k tonight and most of it was not like pulling teeth! Feeling good and ready for more. (sleep, not writing...)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
1900 words so far today. Finished the last chapter of Lost Dogs #3. Gonna take a little break from that now and focus on writing a proper blurb for Emma's Story as well as a short explanation of what anfylk and anetachts are for the not-prologue of the story.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
Another 3.5k night. I might have written the same amount two nights in a row but tonight was a much better experience for me. Much more relaxing and a lot less pounding my head into the keys. Hope to keep that up!

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
EDIT: 1144 words today

I was doing reasonably well today and then I got a notification from my bank about suspicious charges on my account. Turns out someone's gotten hold of the details and been making purchases with it. I'll get the lost money refunded, but it's still a nuisance and it broke my flow for the night.

In other news I decided to do a small private print run of Emma's Story through lulu.com so that I can have a few physical copies to give away for promotions/christmas. That may be delayed now that my card is blocked, but I'll work it out somehow.

Last edited:

Fluffypoodel

Inkling

I was doing reasonably well today and then I got a notification from my bank about suspicious charges on my account. Turns out someone's gotten hold of the details and been making purchases with it. I'll get the lost money refunded, but it's still a nuisance and it broke my flow for the night.

In other news I decided to do a small private print run of Emma's Story through lulu.com so that I can have a few physical copies to give away for promotions/christmas. That may be delayed now that my card is blocked, but I'll work it out somehow.

That's some terrible luck. I hope everything works out.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
A little over 3k tonight. Feeling positive about the next few chapters and where they are going which should bring me through to the end of the month. Won't be finished but should be about halfway... Maybe...

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team

What the heck! I'm sorry this happened to you. :(

Hi there Mythmasters!

Know I'm late to the game, but I'm spending American Pre-Christmas Turkey Holiday home sick reading Mythic Scribe articles, so I thought I'd take the moment to jump in.

Daily Goal: Write the exact number of words to complete NaNoWriMo by the end of November. Day 23 and slightly under 37K.

My Amazing Brilliant Novel of Brilliantness: The Young Bride. A young woman dies on her wedding day. But death is not the end. She is banished from her village and must find her way to the far-off City of the Dead, eluding the sinister Wild Hunt while being pursued by her former husband.

Inspiration: The Dark Souls games and Exalted, primarily.

So far, it's a mess, and the thought of revision gives me stomach pains. But this had been a great goad to actually doing it!