• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Horizon Zero Dawn (Spoiler Free)

Reaver

Staff
I've already praised how amazing this game is on every level from the MC, Aloy and her story arc, all the way through the game play and graphics.

For anyone on the proverbial fence about buying this game, I present to you the ability to make your mount "fly" (by exploiting an in game glitch) that will likely be fixed in Part One.

However, this game has been out for about a year now and the developers haven't fixed it yet. I suspect that this might have something to do with flying mounts in either the forthcoming DLC or the sequel. Oh, one more thing... Let's keep this thread spoiler free.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Reaver!

I hope that you have been alright. Guess what? I have already purchased Horizon Zero Dawn at my favorite Games Shop here in Pachuca. I was lucky that the game dropped in price recently, so I got my hands on it for the relatively low price of 900 pesos. That's a lot anyway, but I know that Horizon is worth it!

Now, the fact is that I cannot play it yet since it shall be one of my self-given birthday presents.

I shall post again in this thread as soon as I have played Horizon Zero Dawn for some time, so I have something real to say about it. I somehow know already that I am going to love this game!

What happened to your AC Origins thread? I was going to post in there tonight.

Last edited:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Thanks Steerpike!

The world of Horizon Zero Dawn looks just spectacular in every video that I have seen of its gameplay, and as far as I know you have loads and loads of open world terrain to explore. I am not sure of how I am going to feel about those robot-like dinosaurish creatures, but the combat and hunting look superb as well.

Also, playing as a female protagonist is a huge Plus factor for me! =)

I am happy to see that there are many fellow Playstation players here in Mythic Scribes. If you want, add me to your Playstation friends! I am Sheilawisz there, just like here. Maybe one day we could all play together in Garden Warfare or some other similar multiplayer game.

Cheers for Sony and our beloved Playstation system!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Well I enjoyed a fantastic birthday just yesterday, everything was great indeed and I have finally unwrapped this beautiful thing that you can see here:

full

I have not played it yet, but soon I shall be posting my views of Horizon Zero Dawn in this thread! =)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Thanks, Reaver!

I have already played Horizon for the first time. The game took quite a long time for the installation itself, but I was happy to discover that Version 1.50 was not even 900MB so the updates download was rather fast. After waiting just a little, I finally ventured into Aloy's world with great curiosity and very high expectations.

The first thing that I have to say is that Horizon Zero Dawn is visually impressive, to say the least. Many other PS4 games like Bloodborne and AC Syndicate display excellent looks, but Aloy's game is just terrific. Everything looks unbelievable, actually even better than everything that I had seen in Youtube videos before.

It was fun to know Aloy since she was a little girl, and Rost is a wonderful character.

I have already passed the tutorials thing, and now I am at the point when I get to play as a fully grown Aloy for the first time. I cannot wait to explore the open world and get to use the famous and very acclaimed Photos Mode or whatever that it's called! What a strikingly beautiful world, I already love it.

I am curious to know why Aloy is an outcast and everyone seems to be afraid of her. They are so mean! I hope that I will get to murder people later in the game...

Just one thing: The sprint system with L3 is very uncomfortable! Is there a way to make it work some other way?

ApaCisare

Scribe
I admit I was skeptical about the game when I first heard about it, thinking it was just another one-off, hastily made Sony exclusive.
Boy, was I wrong! Once I finally got around to giving it a shot I was instantly hooked and it quickly became one of my favourite games of recent memory.
Have fun! I had a blast exploring the surprisingly well thought out and in-depth world Guerrilla created.

Reaver

Staff
Thanks, Reaver!

I have already played Horizon for the first time. The game took quite a long time for the installation itself, but I was happy to discover that Version 1.50 was not even 900MB so the updates download was rather fast. After waiting just a little, I finally ventured into Aloy's world with great curiosity and very high expectations.

The first thing that I have to say is that Horizon Zero Dawn is visually impressive, to say the least. Many other PS4 games like Bloodborne and AC Syndicate display excellent looks, but Aloy's game is just terrific. Everything looks unbelievable, actually even better than everything that I had seen in Youtube videos before.

It was fun to know Aloy since she was a little girl, and Rost is a wonderful character.

I have already passed the tutorials thing, and now I am at the point when I get to play as a fully grown Aloy for the first time. I cannot wait to explore the open world and get to use the famous and very acclaimed Photos Mode or whatever that it's called! What a strikingly beautiful world, I already love it.

I am curious to know why Aloy is an outcast and everyone seems to be afraid of her. They are so mean! I hope that I will get to murder people later in the game...

Just one thing: The sprint system with L3 is very uncomfortable! Is there a way to make it work some other way?

I'm glad that you like the game. As you progress through the story, you'll learn why she's an outcast. I don't want to give away any spoilers so I'll leave it at that. One of the great things about Horizon is that depending on how you interact with certain NPC's affects the overall story and ending.

As far as the sprint button, I don't know if it can be changed or not. Try changing the controller configuration in the main menu. If you can't, the good news is that using the controls gets easier the more you play.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Alright, I have continued playing Aloy's adventure!

Rost took me to kill my first big bad monster at night, after that I was supposed to say good bye to him forever and I arrived at the little village for the competition thing. Nice place, the villagers have some kind of Siberian style to them in my opinion.

I indeed tried to murder a villager lady when she was far from everyone else, and... Oh no! It turns out that ordinary people are immune to Aloy's attacks. Well, the competition was fun and then this surprise happens... I got to kill evil guys, and that was fun as well. I already know why Aloy is an outcast, and now the Matriarchs have appointed Aloy as an official Seeker or something.

That means that I get permission to go and explore anywhere in the world!

Good, I was getting tired of so many cinematic sequences taking away most of my limited Gaming time of every night. At this point I really want to just explore, kill a lot of monsters, murder loads of bad guys and level up Aloy with whatever weapons and systems that the game has to offer.

I have a few questions, Reaver:

What is the difference between Quick Save and Manual Save, regarding those campfire things? Do I have to always use the Campfire system in order to save before a Quit?

When do I get to ride on a horse or something?

Thanks for the recommendation, this Horizon Zero Dawn game is very beautiful and I see that it offers the potential for endless hours of open world fun. Aloy is a great character! I am so happy that they decided to give Horizon a female protagonist, since I would not have bought it otherwise after all.

Well, I am going to comment about other things as I advance through the adventure =)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
@Sheila:

You will get a mount to ride once you've learned enough about the creatures of the world to override and take control of them. It happens relatively early in the game.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Thank you, Steerpike!

I have seen various types of cool mounts for Aloy in Youtube videos, and I am really looking forward to trying that. As far as I know the world of Horizon Zero Dawn is really huge, and I cannot have my poor Aloy traveling by foot everywhere... I know that she can swim very well, so I am curious to find a lake or something to try that too.

Do you know how large is the world in general, if compared to other open world games?

I already tried the Photos Mode for the first time, how cool is that! I wish that we had a Photos Mode in AC Syndicate as well. Aloy's poses for the photos are lovely, and there are so many of them. I'll be taking some really nice shots as soon as I explore the world just a little more.

So far, so great with Horizon Zero Dawn and Aloy!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I am already riding on a thing!

I think that the mount in question is one of those creatures called Striders. I am not sure what to call them, actually... I know that they are machines of some kind, but I do not like the idea of just calling them that.

Things? Monsters?

In the end, I have decided to call them Animals anyway, like I do in Bloodborne: Oh look! What animal is that?! OMG! OMG! Huge animal ahead! Run! Ruuuuun! Wow, I had never seen an animal like that one before!

Alright, so I have discovered that I can use my animal in battle and that feels great. I killed a turkey with my animal's attack, too! The only problem is that the poor Strider gets damaged, and after just a few battles it started to release sparks in a rather alarming way. What happens when all of its health is gone? Do they explode or something?

How do I heal my animal? Or do I just have to catch a new one with Aloy's new artifact?

At this point of the game I am supposed to travel to a place called Meridian. The area is quite confusing with rocks everywhere, and also I am supposed to clear Corruption Zones somewhere. To be honest, a problem with Horizon Zero Dawn is that it throws new stuff at me too quickly and I am not having enough time to adapt.

I guess that I'll just explore a little more before I venture into more difficult missions!

ApaCisare

Scribe
You don't need to clear too many corruption zones before heading towards Meridian. Be sure to check the difficulty as well, some of them can be pretty difficult at lower levels.
Also, on the road to Meridian, it would be best not to aggravate the giant flying Stormbird once you pass into Carja territory. Trust me, I learned not to through experience, haha!

Reaver

Staff
My advice for this game is explore, explore, explore. You can do the story at any time. In my opinion, the best thing you can do is gain XP and spend them on skills and gather resources. Not just for crafting, but for selling so that you can buy all of the cool armor and weapons.

To answer your question about how big the world of Horizon is: it's massive. I'd also go so far to say that you can explore about 98% of it. I really don't have many games to compare it to other than Assassin's Creed Origins and it's much larger than that world. Maybe someone else can give you some comparable game worlds that you're familiar with to get an idea.

Another important tip is to use your Focus ability everywhere you go and check every corner and crevice. Like I said in the beginning of this thread, no spoilers but trust me on this, you're going to need to if you want something really cool later in the game. I'm using it in the following video.

***EDIT***
I just noticed that the quote in my signature fits perfectly with not only this video but the overall character of Aloy as well.

Last edited:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello everyone!

You don't need to clear too many corruption zones before heading towards Meridian. Be sure to check the difficulty as well, some of them can be pretty difficult at lower levels.
Also, on the road to Meridian, it would be best not to aggravate the giant flying Stormbird once you pass into Carja territory. Trust me, I learned not to through experience, haha!

Well thank you very much, ApaCisare!

I'll be sure to check the difficulty levels of every corruption zone before I even try to clear them. For now, I'll concentrate on exploration and the upgrading of Aloy and her weapons. Regarding the difficulty setting of the game itself, I have decided to play at the Normal level so I can enjoy the game and at the same time encounter some challenge in the combat.

Thanks for the warning about that giant flying Stormbird!

My advice for this game is explore, explore, explore. You can do the story at any time. In my opinion, the best thing you can do is gain XP and spend them on skills and gather resources. Not just for crafting, but for selling so that you can buy all of the cool armor and weapons.

To answer your question about how big the world of Horizon is: it's massive. I'd also go so far to say that you can explore about 98% of it. I really don't have many games to compare it to other than Assassin's Creed Origins and it's much larger than that world. Maybe someone else can give you some comparable game worlds that you're familiar with to get an idea.

Another important tip is to use your Focus ability everywhere you go and check every corner and crevice. Like I said in the beginning of this thread, no spoilers but trust me on this, you're going to need to if you want something really cool later in the game. I'm using it in the following video.

Thanks for everything, Reaver!

It seems that I'll be doing the same in Horizon Zero Dawn that I have done in AC Syndicate after all. Constant exploration, combat over and over again, gathering of resources and just upgrading step by step. I want my Aloy to be strong and powerful, you know. Just like my beloved Evie Frye! Aloy is such a wonderful character, and I really love her already.

Thanks for that video, as well.

You know what character I really like too? Teb! He is lovely and handsome, and a very noble soul as far as I can tell at this point of the game. I am looking forward to interact with Teb very often, as the story advances =)